Barnes: “this group is getting it”

I hope the team finally realized how good they can be when they understand they aren’t underdogs. After ALMOST beating Bama and watching them win the SEC had to be an eye opener. They know they should’ve won that game .

20 some games in and just now getting it? Sounds like a severe communication problem.

20 some games in and just now getting it? Sounds like a severe communication problem.

Not necessarily. In a normal season, we'd only be just around early-to-mid February in the schedule. We'd have like 5- 6 games left. It is not unusual at all for it to take time to "click" with talented freshmen like Johnson and Springer, which is a big chunk of our minutes. Look at all the teams that got hot in mid-February and rode that momentum to a conference title and E8/F4 appearance.

It's just a weird year.

Not necessarily. In a normal season, we'd only be just around early-to-mid February in the schedule. We'd have like 5- 6 games left. It is not unusual at all for it to take time to "click" with talented freshmen like Johnson and Springer, which is a big chunk of our minutes. Look at all the teams that got hot in mid-February and rode that momentum to a conference title and E8/F4 appearance.

It's just a weird year.
They also had an abbreviated pre-season, but why let facts get in the way 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: cncchris33
The older calban gets, the more crotchety and irritable he seems. His patience with Barnes has reached a boiling point in a year where just about all bets are off. It isn’t really reasonable to judge coaches or players based on anything in 2020-2021.

I just read a story about the change in leadership from Paul Weir to Richard Pitino, and while possible that Weir may have been a bad fit/poor coach, it’s tough to not feel bad for a guy whose team wasn’t allowed to play a single home game, or even hold practice in the state of New Mexico. They had to bus out of state, stay in hotels, and find open gyms to practice in, and they finished the season with 6 scholarship players. They played every game away from home, nearly every practice away from home, lived out of hotels, finish 6-16 and Weir gets fired. Tough break for a guy who won 19 games twice in four years, and then had an uphill climb this season.

Reactions: walkenvol
And they likely beat Bama with a healthy Fulkerson. Even in that loss, you could see differences from the previous two months.

Don’t waste your time.

Barnes is easily the most under appreciated coach Tennessee basketball has ever had.

They really don’t seem to understand how worse it could be if we had let Barnes walk away.

Don’t waste your time.

Barnes is easily the most under appreciated coach Tennessee basketball has ever had.

They really don’t seem to understand how worse it could be if we had let Barnes walk away.
We might have hired Nate Oats. Heaven forbid

Don’t waste your time.

I'm not sure how my post about us winning one game in the SEC tournament can be conflated into Barnes hate. I've been mostly positive on him. I'm just saying let's don't act like this team has gone on a recent run. They are 8-7 in the last 15 games and they only have wins against Florida sandwiched around losses to Alabama and Auburn for goodness sake.

Lol, he’s not leaving Bama unless a blue blood starts calling.
Barnes would get a lot more respect if he'd show the least bit of evolution since he's been here. He is the Dan Marino of college basketball coaches and seems to be content with that.
Very few are saying fire him. I'm saying please papaw try something different.
If you're Okay with winning 20 a season and going to the dance and nothing else then he's your man. Some would like to see a little more before we die.

Reactions: 1985Vols
As they say at the health department, getting it is one thing, but getting it cured is quite another thing.

Barnes would get a lot more respect if he'd show the least bit of evolution since he's been here. He is the Dan Marino of college basketball coaches and seems to be content with that.
Very few are saying fire him. I'm saying please papaw try something different.
If you're Okay with winning 20 a season and going to the dance and nothing else then he's your man. Some would like to see a little more before we die.
Barnes is washed up. It’s time to move on

VN Store

Back