Barber/salon etiquette

bpalmer28

How long past an appointment do you sit and wait before saying enough is enough and walking out? I hate to abandon this girl because I like how she cuts my hair but I’ve been here for 37 minutes!!

Buy a set of clippers for $25 and have your wife/girlfriend cut your hair. I went that route 15 years ago and have never looked back. Can't even begin to calculate how much time and money I have saved.
I’ve done the same since Covid. I had a couple lousy haircuts at different places and had enough.

How long past an appointment do you sit and wait before saying enough is enough and walking out? I hate to abandon this girl because I like how she cuts my hair but I’ve been here for 37 minutes!!
You at a great clips or some chain? A real barbershop won’t have those issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
You at a green slips or some chain? A real barbershop won’t have those issues.

No kidding. I went to Roosters in Turkey Creek for years and never waited. Finally found another good barber where I live now and I walk in and I’m in the chair in less than a minute. Anything more than 15 minutes and I’d be long gone

I one time walked into a cheap barber and asked for a cut because I had let my hair grow too long. No lie, he took one look and said "do you have an appointment." I said "oh, I thought you were a barber." He promptly threw me out and locked the doors. I kid you not. This guy was in his late 20's and acted like he was having crack withdraws. I spread the word every chance I get now. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

No kidding. I went to Roosters in Turkey Creek for years and never waited. Finally found another good barber where I live now and I walk in and I’m in the chair in less than a minute. Anything more than 15 minutes and I’d be long gone
If you enjoyed Rooster's, Marcus that used to run it now has his own shop on Sherway behind the Harper dealers on Kingston Pike.

Schedulicity | Book Appointments and Classes Online

You will likely run into some former UT players, which is also a cool perk.

If you enjoyed Rooster's, Marcus that used to run it now has his own shop on Sherway behind the Harper dealers on Kingston Pike.

Schedulicity | Book Appointments and Classes Online

You will likely run into some former UT players, which is also a cool perk.

I don’t live in Knoxville (or Tennessee) anymore unfortunately. I did see Todd Helton at Roosters one time, so that was cool I guess.

Cumberland Ave, back in the 70’s, waiting to get my haircut while my dad was getting his. I was 8, don’t remember much about the place but I’ll never forget, first time I ever skimmed through a Playboy magazine. That was a great day.

My goodness... this highlights a difference in culture. I've routinely had to sit in barbershops for over an hour. Haven't really done that much over the last few years as I've gotten older and because of COVID, but I'm not sure many black men haven't had to deal with long waits. I usually stick with the same person and if I walk in and they have 3-4 in front, that's going to be over an hour. Very rarely do I do appointments because I have no idea when I'll be available to to go to the barber... and that may be part of the issue also. Not sure how many black guys actually set up appointments vs just doing walk ins.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember waiting less than 30 minutes when I went to the local barbers in Nicaragua or Colombia.

My goodness... this highlights a difference in culture. I've routinely had to sit in barbershops for over an hour. Haven't really done that much over the last few years as I've gotten older and because of COVID, but I'm not sure many black men haven't had to deal with long waits. I usually stick with the same person and if I walk in and they have 3-4 in front, that's going to be over an hour. Very rarely do I do appointments because I have no idea when I'll be available to to go to the barber... and that may be part of the issue also. Not sure how many black guys actually set up appointments vs just doing walk ins.

I schedule all my appointments, usually I just do it one day on my lunch break. My barbershop is also appointment only though.

Marcus is all appointments, easy peasy with online scheduling.

Buy a set of clippers for $25 and have your wife/girlfriend cut your hair. I went that route 15 years ago and have never looked back. Can't even begin to calculate how much time and money I have saved.
did this for 15 years till gray and bald happened. decided to keep short on sides but let it grow a bit on top. still clinging on but kids like it better, less intense.

Depends on cleavage. 10 minutes per inch but that's just me

Reactions: bpalmer28
Used to be a decent barber shop in Powell across from Travis Meats. Not as good as the old West Haven shop, though.

VN Store

Back