Bang Shootie conversation

This thread started out making me interested, then excited, then researching my fav stuff, then examining my bank account, then depressed, and finally just accepting I should just enjoy shooting what I have. Gun threads are like the stages of Grief.

Right now I need powder more then a new gun. h4350....to be precise.

Semi will always reduce some of the recoil compared to a bolt. I just mean once you have fired most any of those calibers in a bolt you have a general idea what to expect. I agree with you on recoil and comfort. I shot the Sharps for fun, ( and it was fun) and maybe worth the bruise to say I did it that time, (I did not roll properly). However no way I'd shoot that on a regular basis. I like my 243 in a heavy stock just fine. But I shoot paper from a bench, and not carrying it hunting. Would kinda like to go hunting, but current health doesn't make it very feasible. :(

Video of Sharps whoopin my azz.
"Felt" recoil at the bench is alwys more than when hunting even with the exact same gun. Plus people tend to over buy compensating for short willies or something for deer cartridges. I've never met a deer that said Oh! F***, it's a 300 WM! And I've never met a hunter that knew what he was doing that couldn't drop an elk or moose with a .270. I have a few freinds that hunted out west. THey said the guides laughed at all us wannabes that brought these large caliber big game heavy a** guns out there on guided hunts and were scared to pull the trigger at the sighting range before they took you out. They said .270 was the most carried guide gun. Knew a big burly guy at the gun shop where I used to live that shot 5-6 deer a year with a .223 AR. One shot kills. Said that was all he needed and wasn't scared to pull the trigger. I once knew a skinny kid whose mom bought him a .375 at a gun show to start hunting with. He went with some older men to South GA to hunt. They would have "blinds" set up in teh back of their trucks. THat gun knocked him out of the truck and literally removed the entire front leg/shoulder on the exit side of the shot.

Reactions: Sgt_Nick_Fury
When I read hunting rifle I automatically thought "pointy" stuff and forgot the 1886. I did not even think about a cylinder lever action, which I would assume takes some advanced smithing to work on, particularly if you have to reset the timing. I don't really know much about any of my stuff beyond basic disassembly for cleaning so maybe it's not as hard as I am assuming?
I am not a smitty, so I would only want mechanicals that need cleaning, oilg, reassembling, etc. Replacing parts ok. I'm fairly handy. Any type of machining work would have to go to a shop, and should. One should also do homework on choosing to re-blue a particular gun or refinish the would beyond cleaning and oiling. In alot of cases that could tank the value. If you are going to re-furb and keep, then maybe a little wiggle room. I self re-blued my early 50's Winchester 16ga side by side and sanded and re-lacquered the wood. Although it still would fetch $500 plus today after what I did, untouched it would have added another $250 probably.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
WEnt by local pawn shop at lunch. Saw an incredible deal, pretty sure, based on what I've seen online last couple days. A flawless, probably reconditioned, M1 Garand. 1944. And when I say flawless, not one nick, not scratch on wood or metal kind of flawless. Impeccable. $2K. Kwik Kash Pawn in Cookeville if someone is actively looking.

Not sure I want to know, but heck, morbid curiosity: what happens with a rifle failure?
popcorn.gif
Parts go errwhere

Reactions: VolNExile
Yes. Please look when you at lunch. Lever project gun. He would consider a small caliber if it's the right gun, but prefers a hunting caliber. I'd love to see a fair condition or less Savage 99 in .300 savage. That's just a great american piece of history.

How'd you like that Stevens 12ga bolt i posted above?
It’s perty but I would not shoot it

This thread started out making me interested, then excited, then researching my fav stuff, then examining my bank account, then depressed, and finally just accepting I should just enjoy shooting what I have. Gun threads are like the stages of Grief.

That's why I don't frequent it.

Reactions: YankeeVol

Outside of my house and vehicles, guns are the 3rd largest purchases I've made lol. Luckily, the wife doesn't mind (she'd probably prefer a new gun over a new truck HAHA).

Yeah I am torn nice thing about a 357 lever/wheel gun is you can shoot 38. I love my dads cowboy speed modded lever just plinking with 38 all day at range. and I much prefer 357 for a wheel gun. However 44 mag would be heck of a lot more useful if you were to use it hunting, but 44 mag wheel gun to me is less useful unless you just feel like going dirty harry. I don't enjoy shooting 44mag on a pistol. If ya do get a pistol caliber lever I recommend looking into one of the cowboy speed kits, they'll make your action butter smooth. I'll take my dad's Rossi with the upgrade kit over a henry from the factory.

Though honestly the Henry Big Boy X is the one I have on my list.

View attachment 506375

The list that always has too many dr's bills, new tires, and Christmas, birthdays and everything else ahead of it.. :(

got this a little while back. Henry Octagon barrel, silver plated 44 Magnum.
Shooting 44 Mag this way is a heck of a lot more fun than with a hand cannon. And much more accurate.

henry-jpg.366297

Is the top checkered...?

If so that is a valuable pistol. Not sure when the stopped doing Reg Mags.
Sorry, went to the dentist.
I thought I answered earlier. It’s not the 357 magnum gun.
It’s a lend lease gun. Very tight and in great shape. Should be a good shooter and at 390 could not pass it up. Especially since it likely shot at Nazis

Reactions: Sgt_Nick_Fury

VN Store

Back