Bama and playoff?

This ESPN article made me think about one loss teams.

Are Alabama's playoff hopes over? That, and more College Football Playoff questions

What if Ga wins out as well as the other teams then beats LSU in SECCG. Then, you have three one loss SEC teams. Surely the SEC winner gets the bid (GA) but, everyone knows about Bama’s pull.

Is it possible to have three SEC teams in playoff?
I doubt 3 get in...a two-loss SEC Champ probably would.
Can't really fault Bama for their schedule. Obviously made years in advance. But heading into last weekend, Bama's opponents cumulative W-L is 31-45. The committee won't like that.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
If OSU wins out that means PSU would have two losses.

A one loss PSU absolutely goes above Bama because that would include a win over OSU and a loss to a undefeated or one loss Minnesota team. You could even argue OSU should go above Bama in that scenario because the quality wins would be about equal (Auburn and Wisconsin). If Wisconsin wins out it would be even better for OSU.

The interesting scenario is if OSU, PSU, and Minnesota all finish with one loss. All should go above Bama because they all would have a better quality win than Bama. OSU's win would be against Wisconsin, which would be an equal win to Bama's over Auburn (hypothetically) so that would be a toss-up.

If Bama doesn't like it then they don't need to schedule NM State and start off the year against Duke on a neutral site.
Or just beat LSU at home. If they win that game, nobody brings up their lack of strength of schedule.

Not just last year's results. Alabama's been up to this level of play for a much longer time than Clemson has, and even though their schedule is relatively weak (and was last year too) it's still a tougher schedule than Clemson's. The best team Clemson has played (not beaten, just played) is going to be who...an A&M team likely to end the season with 5 losses?

I know Clemson can't control their conference schedule, but the ACC is a total joke this year.

Come on, man. Clemson has beaten Bama two of their last three. Somehow that magically translates to "Bama has been good longer than Clemson has"???

Come on, man. Clemson has beaten Bama two of their last three. Somehow that magically translates to "Bama has been good longer than Clemson has"???
Did you not watch CFB before 2015? Saban/Alabama had won 3 of these things before Clemson came on the scene.

Alabama has been playing at Clemson's level uninterrupted since 2011 and 10 of the last 11 years since 2008. Saban's only had 2 seasons where his team wasn't in the title hunt towards the end of a regular season...2007 and 2010.

The only part I'm finding humorous is because everyone is sick of Alabama, suddenly we're crapping on their SEC schedule. And yeah I get it, the SEC isn't as strong this year, but I also know if Tennessee were in this position the arguments would be very different. And yeah I get that people obviously change with biases.

Anyway I think Alabama needs a significant amount of help but let's not act like it's that far-fetched. And it may not be fair but a 1 loss Minnesota ain't getting in over a 1 loss Alabama if it came to that. It's just not happening.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Did you not watch CFB before 2015? Saban/Alabama had won 3 of these things before Clemson came on the scene.

Alabama has been playing at Clemson's level uninterrupted since 2011 and 10 of the last 11 years since 2008. Saban's only had 2 seasons where his team wasn't in the title hunt towards the end of a regular season...2007 and 2010.

Using that logic, the Vols should be in the playoffs this year because we won the NC in 1998.

You can't have it both ways. If Bama's success counts, so does Clemson's, especially since Clemson has been better than Bama head to head more recently.

Ask any Bama fan what 44-16 means for the evidence.

As of today it looks like this to me,

1. LSU 13-0 - If they lose its probably to UGA in Atl. In which case UGA gets in. If they SEC gets another team in it would be LSU.
2. OSU 13-0 - They could lose somewhere but if they win the Big 10 with 1 L over possibly a undefeated Minn team, they re in. If Minn wins out, they are in and OSU is in a spot similar to LSU looking for a 4th seed.
3. Clemson 13-0 - I don't know who they could lose to honestly. WF maybe. Clemson is the only team of those 3 that really can't afford to lose a game. The only argument they have at that point is we are the defending champs which isn't enough.

A lot can happen in a couple weeks but I think those 3 are in.

I don't think Bama overcomes both a Big 12 and Pac 12 one loss conference champion.
I think their way in is against a 1 loss Oregon or Utah, head to head. I think Oklahoma gets in with 1 L if they win the Big 12. Im not sure Baylor can unless they go 13-0.

Regardless of facts or logic....I am certain that TPTB, Pawwwllllllll, and the rest of the SEC Mafia will do all in their power to get the Gumps in. It's like the "Deep State" of the SEC.

Using that logic, the Vols should be in the playoffs this year because we won the NC in 1998.

You can't have it both ways. If Bama's success counts, so does Clemson's, especially since Clemson has been better than Bama head to head more recently.

Ask any Bama fan what 44-16 means for the evidence.
Clemson's success counts too. If they win out, they'll be seeded no lower than #2 even though their schedule is crap and you can argue they should be 3rd or 4th. If say, Minnesota played Clemson's schedule and went undefeated, I bet they don't get in the playoff.

Clemson's success counts too. If they win out, they'll be seeded no lower than #2 even though their schedule is crap and you can argue they should be 3rd or 4th. If say, Minnesota played Clemson's schedule and went undefeated, I bet they don't get in the playoff.

With the single LSU game exception, Bama's schedule is crap, too. Western Carolina? New Mexico State? Duke? Arkansas? Ole Miss? Bwahahaha.

Tennessee is actually one of the better teams Bama has played so far.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
Wasnt this the scenario in 2017?

Maybe? I don’t remember.
If they get favored over another school then a lot of teams should he doing whatever they could to change the layout. This would be nothing but buying ratings for the AA.

Maybe? I don’t remember.
If they get favored over another school then a lot of teams should he doing whatever they could to change the layout. This would be nothing but buying ratings for the AA.

from 2017:

frt.JPG

With the single LSU game exception, Bama's schedule is crap, too. Western Carolina? New Mexico State? Duke? Arkansas? Ole Miss? Bwahahaha.

Tennessee is actually one of the better teams Bama has played so far.

I'm not following what you're arguing anymore.

I doubt 3 get in...a two-loss SEC Champ probably would.
Can't really fault Bama for their schedule. Obviously made years in advance. But heading into last weekend, Bama's opponents cumulative W-L is 31-45. The committee won't like that.

They are midrange in total defense in the SEC. Defense wins championships, which is why they go dry this year IMO.

They are midrange in total defense in the SEC. Defense wins championships, which is why they go dry this year IMO.
I would agree. Bama doesnt have their usual depth at key (ILB) position, which they have in the past. Their DBs are good, not the usual great. They are playing some young guys, which will benefit them next year and next, but if they get in, I dont see them winning it all. I dont think they finish the regular season with the single loss.

Bama makes it in just based on their past and Nick Saban IMO
Bama will get in .... bet Grannys new teeth the playoff committee not only wants the Tide in, but they would love to see a Bama-LSU rematch for the national championship.

Reactions: BUBear
If Bama is one of the best 4 teams they should be in. That’s the whole purpose of this. It shouldn’t matter if you win your conference if your conference is garbage. Bama would easily win the PAC-12 and Big 12. Clemson could obviously beat them, I think Auburn and UGA could beat them but wouldn’t, and I think Ohio State could beat them. They are ranked right they are supposed to be IMO. They aren’t what they used to be, but they are still very good. Pisses me off.

I had a long discussion on this yesterday with a guy from work...IMO, Bama has to have help. I just do not see how a 1 loss P5 conference champion could be denied a spot. When I look at this, and assuming that GA and LSU remain without an additional loss, then LSU goes in if they win the SECC, and, depending upon the score, LSU and UGA would make it in if UGA wins. If LSU's only loss is a close one in the SECC, you cannot punish them for the extra game when they already beat Bama. That is basically saying the extra game (conference championship) trumps head-to-head wins

Also, a one loss Oregon winning the PAC-12 championship should jump a one loss, sitting at home Bama as well...their only one loss was first game on a last second TD to Auburn. If Bama jumps a one-loss PAC-12 champion (Oregon) then the committee is basically saying conference championships are not important--which is in direct opposition to the LSU statement above.

Of course, I just hope Auburn wipes Bama off the field and then the whole discussion is null and void.

They positioned Bama perfectly to ensure if they can win out they'll be one of the 4 teams in the playoff. Why? Because LSU and UGA if they win out have to play each other in the SECCG and loser does not make it in but Bama does.

I had a long discussion on this yesterday with a guy from work...IMO, Bama has to have help. I just do not see how a 1 loss P5 conference champion could be denied a spot. When I look at this, and assuming that GA and LSU remain without an additional loss, then LSU goes in if they win the SECC, and, depending upon the score, LSU and UGA would make it in if UGA wins. If LSU's only loss is a close one in the SECC, you cannot punish them for the extra game when they already beat Bama. That is basically saying the extra game (conference championship) trumps head-to-head wins

Also, a one loss Oregon winning the PAC-12 championship should jump a one loss, sitting at home Bama as well...their only one loss was first game on a last second TD to Auburn. If Bama jumps a one-loss PAC-12 champion (Oregon) then the committee is basically saying conference championships are not important--which is in direct opposition to the LSU statement above.

Of course, I just hope Auburn wipes Bama off the field and then the whole discussion is null and void.

The worst thing that could happen to Oregon, other than a loss, would be if Bama went to the Plains and dropped the hammer on Auburn. The same is true if UGA beat Auburn and then won the SEC title game. Then you have 3 1 loss SEC teams sitting there who have all beaten Auburn while the PAC12 champ’s only loss is to Auburn. That’s the hypothetical dilemma. I’m not as high on conference champions as some I guess.

VN Store

Back