Baileys future if he isnt named the starter?

Heupel’s been doing this more than a day…through the years. You don’t assume everyone stays after a starter’s named…quite the opposite. You add to the room before that happens or you end up like UGA in previous seasons…hoping a Daniels picks you so you can make it to Vandagriff. That DECISION isn’t a coronation of who you bring in…they still have to earn it. Milton deciding to join up only puts him in the room to compete for the starting. Your thought process skips a lot between A and B…and runs off the highway before you get to C. Heupel doesn’t KNOW if the other QB’s or “as good” as Milton…or if Milton is any good at all. That’s what the next month is for. Quit writing the sequel before your first chapter.
So..... a new system for the team, unsure of who is our starting QB in a very QB-decision-centric offense...... what could possibly go wrong?

It's not encouraging to borrow your metaphor..... to not even have the first chapter ready, to not have a QB emerge for this particular offense by mid July. As others have noted, Milton was brought in after watching Spring practice and I'll note that our defense could use all the help it can get....... but we got another QB.

Yet, here at VN we're predicting 7 - 8 - 9 wins??? We lack a clear leader at the most important position on this team which has a completely new coaching staff, a completely different offensive scheme, and a fast tempo that places a lot of pressure on that leader.

Slice it up however you want but bringing Milton into the room means Heupel felt the QB position needed someone more than the defense needed someone. Just look at this team before Milton arrived....... and would you have thought, "yeah, let's get another QB. We're solid enough in the defensive secondary."

So..... a new system for the team, unsure of who is our starting QB in a very QB-decision-centric offense...... what could possibly go wrong?
If we're going to prioritize positions to decide how many of which players to recruit in the first year, in addition to immediate needs, I would consider:
- How long does it take to physically develop to the point of being effective
- How hard is it to learn the position so you can be effective.
- Average Wonderlic scores by position would suggest bringing in OL & QB.

The only Qb left on the roster after Daniels that was higher rated coming out of high school is Vandegriff. But Bailey has something Vandegriff doesn't have, something that's super important in the SEC. Experience. It may not be a ton more, but its live reps. He also has a whole extra year in S&C and Nutrition program. All Vandegriff has so far is a jersey number and a ridiculous looking mustache.

So tell me who else? Carson Beck was lower rated and has virtually no experience. Muschamp's son? LOL. We all know what Stetson Bennet is capable of.
Both BV and Beck would have more time in UGA’s system. It’s possible he could beat them out, but Bailey would likely look for a guaranteed spot.

It's not encouraging to borrow your metaphor..... to not even have the first chapter ready, to not have a QB emerge for this particular offense by mid July. As others have noted, Milton was brought in after watching Spring practice and I'll note that our defense could use all the help it can get....... but we got another QB.

Yet, here at VN we're predicting 7 - 8 - 9 wins??? We lack a clear leader at the most important position on this team which has a completely new coaching staff, a completely different offensive scheme, and a fast tempo that places a lot of pressure on that leader.

Slice it up however you want but bringing Milton into the room means Heupel felt the QB position needed someone more than the defense needed someone. Just look at this team before Milton arrived....... and would you have thought, "yeah, let's get another QB. We're solid enough in the defensive secondary."
Milton was picked up during Spring practice…before the O&W. Slice it that he wanted talented options. Experienced offensive minds like those. And we’ve picked up two cornerbacks since that decision so it wasn’t exactly an either/or. Or you declaring Milton a clear leader? Well I disagree based on available information and no amount of this means that and that means this rationale changes that opinion. One of us is in a hurry and the other knows that we’ll all be right at the same time…when it’s a FACT. No sooner.

That's my opinion about Milton. While he was probably going to sit behind McNamara at Michigan, why would he transfer to UT to sit?

He obviously thought he had a good shot at starting and, more importantly, Coach Heupel had to think he has a shot to start also.

The Milton transfer, if I were Bailey or Hooker, tells me one is or both are expendable.

Minor point but my comment about holding an I Pad was in reference to Bailey not Milton.

My opinion going back to answering the original OP is Bailey transfers if he gets passed over for the starting job.

I dont fault Heupel for bringing in Milton to up the talent and competition in the QB room in the least.

That being said, I wouldnt blame whoever doesn't get the starting nod for doing what they think is best for them long term either.

“Transfers” as in PLURAL? He brought in Milton and the kid from UCF is a walk-on. Hooker was already here. People really jumping on that narrative. He saw a chance to maximize talented options and went with a guy he recruited. There’s been negligible time for him to have CONFIDENCE in anyone…including Milton.

I would have hoped that Spring practice would have been a tick more than negligible time for Heupel to get a read on his QB room and develop some level of confidence in one of them.

Taking Milton and the guy from UCF suggests that didn't happen or he wanted to motivate them with more competition.

He should leave he has the best ball placement of all the QBs on the roster and he has good QB awareness on the field . And this just eyeball test of watching the games he played . I am no expert though .

I'm excited to see what all 4 of the qb's can do with some coaching. For selfish reasons, I don't give a crap which one transfers if we're winning games. Gone are the days when Bernie Kozar, Jim Kelly and Vinnie Testaverde are all in the same qb room waiting their turn. For every one that leaves, there will be one or two transferring in. Give me the one that doesn't have to transfer to play.

And we certainly won't have FIVE next season. Remember, Tayven Jackson is coming in. There's no way that all four of the current guys stick around next year. They are too good to ride the pine.

VN Store

Back