Baileys future if he isnt named the starter?

He's one of the few true, consistent "insiders" I've seen in my years here. However he also interprets what he sees and hears... and tends to tint things negative.

Of course being an "insider", his lines to the program have ebbed and flowed with the changes over the last 15 years. Sometimes his info or the info of the guy who gave him info... isn't completely reliable or else it is true in a moment in time and becomes untrue later.
I don’t expect anyone on this board with connections to be a hunnert, but combined with his public writing off of the program and his bad guesses that Chizik was the new hire at DC and that Keller Chryst would be the starter, I have solid grounds for pause.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
That's the thing with Pruitt though. He was so fixated on practice being a predictor of games that he refused to give up on JG.

We are both more than old enough to have seen it played differently. Fulmer often developed young QB's OJT. There's no reason to expect Bailey or even Maurer to perform as well as JG in practice. But a good HC would have seen that the starter wasn't able to get it done and then "played for the future" with one of the young guys. It probably would have been Bailey... and IMO he would have been at least as good as JG within a couple of games. On game day at least.

Bailey likely never even was getting 2nd team reps until mid to late October. Once they knew Maurer or Shrout were not going to help, they had to escalate Bailey's rep during the season. That was not ideal since he had no off season work after getting to campus.. He was really raw during season.

with 20 hours as max during season, its impossible to get a QB up to speed who has not had practice reps since high school.

He's one of the few true, consistent "insiders" I've seen in my years here. However he also interprets what he sees and hears... and tends to tint things negative.

Of course being an "insider", his lines to the program have ebbed and flowed with the changes over the last 15 years. Sometimes his info or the info of the guy who gave him info... isn't completely reliable or else it is true in a moment in time and becomes untrue later.

information is always subject to change in the future and is mostly only a moment in time. Its always been that way..

I hope Bailey comes out firing on all cylinders. Long ball, slant, drop offs to backs, and running for first downs when there isn't an open receiver. There are so many factors true. For as much as I have followed the VOLS and QBs across leagues, it would seem that giving the starter plenty of first team reps and allowing them to make some mistakes is a good thing. With JG going in and out and never really being consistent or able to lead and win games, when he got hurt or Pruitt finally saw JG for what he was going to be, it was late and throwing young 2nd and 3rd teamers in is just not a formula for success in the SEC. Want to watch good QBs in the NCAA? Watch who and how they are being coached and played. Again, I am all VOL for life and hope this season and this new staff gets things turned around. From what I have seen and heard...Bailey #1 by far. GBO!

Bailey would never see the field at UGA. Better talent waiting in the wings there.
The only Qb left on the roster after Daniels that was higher rated coming out of high school is Vandegriff. But Bailey has something Vandegriff doesn't have, something that's super important in the SEC. Experience. It may not be a ton more, but its live reps. He also has a whole extra year in S&C and Nutrition program. All Vandegriff has so far is a jersey number and a ridiculous looking mustache.

So tell me who else? Carson Beck was lower rated and has virtually no experience. Muschamp's son? LOL. We all know what Stetson Bennet is capable of.

Doesn't matter. If he's not good enough to win the job in this QB room, he's not the answer anyway.

Legit question from the OP.

The way Heupel has brought in transfers makes one wonder how much confidence he has in Bailey.

If he doesn't start i have to think he would transfer.

Blue chip QBs don't sign on to hold i pads their entire college career.

The way Heupel has brought in transfers makes one wonder how much confidence he has in Bailey.

“Transfers” as in PLURAL? He brought in Milton and the kid from UCF is a walk-on. Hooker was already here. People really jumping on that narrative. He saw a chance to maximize talented options and went with a guy he recruited. There’s been negligible time for him to have CONFIDENCE in anyone…including Milton.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
“Transfers” as in PLURAL? He brought in Milton and the kid from UCF is a walk-on. Hooker was already here. People really jumping on that narrative. He saw a chance to maximize talented options and went with a guy he recruited. There’s been negligible time for him to have CONFIDENCE in anyone…including Milton.
Yeah no matter what you don't pass up on a guy like Milton. Nothing to lose there.

That's my opinion about Milton. While he was probably going to sit behind McNamara at Michigan, why would he transfer to UT to sit?

He obviously thought he had a good shot at starting and, more importantly, Coach Heupel had to think he has a shot to start also.

The Milton transfer, if I were Bailey or Hooker, tells me one is or both are expendable.

Not with UT if he transfers again!
I think he used the grad transfer option. That would leave him the one time free transfer…then he’d have two at the next stop. Not sure if declaration deadlines affect that.

That's my opinion about Milton. While he was probably going to sit behind McNamara at Michigan, why would he transfer to UT to sit?

He obviously thought he had a good shot at starting and, more importantly, Coach Heupel had to think he has a shot to start also.

The Milton transfer, if I were Bailey or Hooker, tells me one is or both are expendable.
Good shot and guarantee are two different things. No one’s arguing about OPPORTUNITIES. Just the worn out “he didn’t transfer to sit on the bench.” Heupel values his skillset and potential and that’s why he was pursued. No issue whatsoever. Programs with a clue don’t shy away from maximizing options. IF Heupel de facto PROMISED him the starting nod with no competition? Then we hired garbage again.

Good shot and guarantee are two different things. No one’s arguing about OPPORTUNITIES. Just the worn out “he didn’t transfer to sit on the bench.” Heupel values his skillset and potential and that’s why he was pursued. No issue whatsoever. Programs with a clue don’t shy away from maximizing options. IF Heupel de facto PROMISED him the starting nod with no competition? Then we hired garbage again.
It's possible, I suppose, that Milton finally figured out Harbaugh and Co are worthless at developing QBs and that his physical gifts can only take him so far and if he wants to play at the next level he's going to need to be coached up.

Maybe, just maybe, Milton believes Heupel is "that guy" who can mold his raw gifts into gold at the next level, even if he's on the bench a year or two...... I just really doubt he wants to flash signals and wear a headset at UT after doing it at Michigan.

Milton could easily start at...... just spitballing..... even Duke, under Cut, with little pressure except to learn from a great coach, develop his fundamentals and physique for the next level.

I'm not saying Heupel isn't a good QB coach. I think he is. If I were Milton, I'd want game time snaps..... lots of them..... on my resume along with great coaching after I transferred if I really wanted to see the next level.

It's possible, I suppose, that Milton finally figured out Harbaugh and Co are worthless at developing QBs and that his physical gifts can only take him so far and if he wants to play at the next level he's going to need to be coached up.

Maybe, just maybe, Milton believes Heupel is "that guy" who can mold his raw gifts into gold at the next level, even if he's on the bench a year or two...... I just really doubt he wants to flash signals and wear a headset at UT after doing it at Michigan.

Milton could easily start at...... just spitballing..... even Duke, under Cut, with little pressure except to learn from a great coach, develop his fundamentals and physique for the next level.

I'm not saying Heupel isn't a good QB coach. I think he is. If I were Milton, I'd want game time snaps..... lots of them..... on my resume along with great coaching after I transferred if I really wanted to see the next level.
If it was only about what HE WANTS.

If it was only about what HE WANTS.
Just being logical.

There's got to be a reason the #2 QB at a potential top 25-30 team, Michigan, would transfer to UT.

I don't think he transferred to UT to ride the pine for a couple of years at a school that probably won't be in the top 30, probably will be self-restricted, if not NCAA restricted from bowl games, and will likely face some recruiting dings while he's here.

I'm not saying Heupel promised him anything but look at where he was vs where he is. If you're going to be on the bench....... why not stay at Michigan with a higher profile, your experience in the system, and no potential sanctions? Why transfer DOWN if you're not going to start?

Just being logical.

There's got to be a reason the #2 QB at a potential top 25-30 team, Michigan, would transfer to UT.

I don't think he transferred to UT to ride the pine for a couple of years at a school that probably won't be in the top 30, probably will be self-restricted, if not NCAA restricted from bowl games, and will likely face some recruiting dings while he's here.

I'm not saying Heupel promised him anything but look at where he was vs where he is. If you're going to be on the bench....... why not stay at Michigan with a higher profile, your experience in the system, and no potential sanctions? Why transfer DOWN if you're not going to start?
Once again…you’re putting a lot of stock in HIS intentions. No doubt his vote would be that he’s the starter. His vote won’t make him the best to come out of Fall camp. His skills and grasp of the offense will…or won’t.

Once again…you’re putting a lot of stock in HIS intentions. No doubt his vote would be that he’s the starter. His vote won’t make him the best to come out of Fall camp. His skills and grasp of the offense will…or won’t.
Even JG didn't transfer to ride the bench at Washington State. Hell, Shrout even has even or better odds of starting at Colorado. Why the hell transfer if you're STILL not going to play? Seriously, WTF would be the reason for Milton to transfer to a lower ranked school where he has no experience to just keep the bench warm like he would at Michigan?

You're making him out to be an idiot.

Even JG didn't transfer to ride the bench at Washington State. Hell, Shrout even has even or better odds of starting at Colorado. Why the hell transfer if you're STILL not going to play? Seriously, WTF would be the reason for Milton to transfer to a lower ranked school where he has no experience to just keep the bench warm like he would at Michigan?

You're making him out to be an idiot.
No. You’re just not getting it. It’s not about their intentions.

No. You’re just not getting it. It’s not about their intentions.
I'm getting that our D secondary is thin, there's 3 serviceable QBs in the room already, yet a Heupel took Milton.

EDIT: when Milton signed, there were 4 QBs in the room, Salter hadn't yet shown the rest of his butt.

Either Heupel wasted a slot for a guy to further pad the QB room and the bench for no reason and leave the D thin...... or Heupel thinks the current QBs aren't as good as Milton.

That's someone's intentions.

this is an important comment. It could be the end of October before he gets to a point of having confidence in someone to execute what he wants. Not that he won't designate someone by game 1 to be the guy but doesn't mean he has confidence the guy can do what he needs. He might just be the one who appears to give him the best shot at that time...

Reactions: butchna

I believe if they thought that, one or both hit the portal before July 1. It is obvious the first 2 weeks of August will be important for the QB room.

I do think Heupel believes Milton can do what he wants. He has been after the guy for way too long. But he has a short timeframe to show it.. and it is not a guarantee he can do it. QB spot is a definite question mark as of this date..

I'm getting that our D secondary is thin, there's 3 serviceable QBs in the room already, yet a Heupel took Milton.

EDIT: when Milton signed, there were 4 QBs in the room, Salter hadn't yet shown the rest of his butt.

Either Heupel wasted a slot for a guy to further pad the QB room and the bench for no reason and leave the D thin...... or Heupel thinks the current QBs aren't as good as Milton.

That's someone's intentions.
Heupel’s been doing this more than a day…through the years. You don’t assume everyone stays after a starter’s named…quite the opposite. You add to the room before that happens or you end up like UGA in previous seasons…hoping a Daniels picks you so you can make it to Vandagriff. That DECISION isn’t a coronation of who you bring in…they still have to earn it. Milton deciding to join up only puts him in the room to compete for the starting. Your thought process skips a lot between A and B…and runs off the highway before you get to C. Heupel doesn’t KNOW if the other QB’s or “as good” as Milton…or if Milton is any good at all. That’s what the next month is for. Quit writing the sequel before your first chapter.

this is an important comment. It could be the end of October before he gets to a point of having confidence in someone to execute what he wants. Not that he won't designate someone by game 1 to be the guy but doesn't mean he has confidence the guy can do what he needs. He might just be the one who appears to give him the best shot at that time...
Allz I’m saying! We’ve been a mess for over a decade. Hire a new guy with a polar opposite offensive scheme and expect INSTANT proficiency from the quarterbacks?

VN Store

Back