bad news that keeps on giving

There has definitely been some money lost, but that is the price that you pay when you hire coaches at lower salaries and hope that they come through. The former AD paid coaches based on what he hopes that they would accomplish rather than what their resume said that they were worth. Those flops were paid for their potential rather than their credentials. It was a bad business decision and those always cost money. It seems to me that as a program UT is paying for prior administrations decisions, and they are doing so in order to secure a better future for the Vols football team. You have to spend money to make money, and if the current staff and AD actually right the ship, Vol Nation will make up the deficit and then some with ticket sales. Bowl games, SEC East Championship games, SEC Championship games and CFP births all wipe away our losses in short order. Those things are not going to happen over night and there may be a few more years that we are a little behind, but there is a simple fix to a simple problem...WIN MORE GAMES. The last item is easier said than done, but we will get there in time and I think that CPF, CJP, Chaney, Tee and the rest of the coaching staff are the right crew to do it.

There has definitely been some money lost, but that is the price that you pay when you hire coaches at lower salaries and hope that they come through. The former AD paid coaches based on what he hopes that they would accomplish rather than what their resume said that they were worth. Those flops were paid for their potential rather than their credentials. It was a bad business decision and those always cost money. It seems to me that as a program UT is paying for prior administrations decisions, and they are doing so in order to secure a better future for the Vols football team. You have to spend money to make money, and if the current staff and AD actually right the ship, Vol Nation will make up the deficit and then some with ticket sales. Bowl games, SEC East Championship games, SEC Championship games and CFP births all wipe away our losses in short order. Those things are not going to happen over night and there may be a few more years that we are a little behind, but there is a simple fix to a simple problem...WIN MORE GAMES. The last item is easier said than done, but we will get there in time and I think that CPF, CJP, Chaney, Tee and the rest of the coaching staff are the right crew to do it.

I don't think there is any excuse for the buyout amounts given to Dooley and Jones. Neither of them were in a position to negotiate those amounts. They had a good agent and we had a weak AD.

I don't think there is any excuse for the buyout amounts given to Dooley and Jones. Neither of them were in a position to negotiate those amounts. They had a good agent and we had a weak AD.
Agreed. And the hire of the former AD is what we are still paying for in a way. I think that CPF is the right man for the job. He is a no nonsense kind of guy, a straight shooter. He will pay off what he has to, and make decisions with CJP to stop this bleeding.

All the buyouts to terrible coaches and then having to hire new ones has resulted in a total salary expenditure that would have paid a top level coach easily and certainly made the last several years more profitable in the first place. This really explains how the decision to go cheap always costs you more in the long run.

All the buyouts to terrible coaches and then having to hire new ones has resulted in a total salary expenditure that would have paid a top level coach easily and certainly made the last several years more profitable in the first place. This really explains how the decision to go cheap always costs you more in the long run.
What top coaches were we turning away the past few years for money?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Dooley didn’t have an agent, he wrote his own contract. Now, how intelligent is UT to let a lawyer write his own contract?

:cool: Didn't exactly take a genius to see through Jones.... Just someone who was not willfully blind.
Obviously if you and Boca saw it. Lulz. You guys are funny. There were "a few of us" 3 to be exact, back before he ever coached a game that agreed he would never win a championship of any kind here and would be an 8 with an occasional 9th win coach.

Two things about that. One, we didn't "know". 2, this is the first time you've heard about it. Lol.

We traded Butch Jones plus $50 million to Alabama for Jeremy Pruitt.

I'm still thinking that we still got the better end of that deal
50 mil? IDK, that is one helluva lot of money! CJP better produce a couple championships and stay for quite some time, in order for it to be worth that much.

Agreed. And the hire of the former AD is what we are still paying for in a way. I think that CPF is the right man for the job. He is a no nonsense kind of guy, a straight shooter. He will pay off what he has to, and make decisions with CJP to stop this bleeding.
Personally, I don't think any AD should have had any buyout, maybe a small severance.

Except that is a gross exaggeration.
How is it an exaggeration when it is a FACT? Math is hard isn't it. Take face value of tickets, multiply by the decrease in attendance and then multiply by number of home games. Yeah it has been millions.

We can make that much up in a good March Madness run this year. I'm wondering how much Final Four revenues mean for the schools?
As a Vol fan stuck in the Triangle, I can only say it will be so sweet to see my Vols in the local sports news during that time. Especially when they beat Duke! That might make Coach K finally retire!

Vanderbilt spends about 40 million, has a fat reserve and kicks UT's ass annually. Pretty embarrassing.
Be careful in comparing Vandys numbers to anyone else in the SEC or NCAA> Vandy is one of those PRIVATE Schools and can cook the books to show anything. A private University (Duke, Stanford,etc.) play by different rules.

Reactions: tbones0711
Personally, I don't think any AD should have had any buyout, maybe a small severance.
I can see that. I guess what I mean is that if paying off debts is the way that we move forward I am all for it... even if the debt should never have been incurred in the first place.

Reactions: rdavis007

VN Store

Back