Baby Boomers U.S. Worst Generation?

The youngest Boomers are almost 25 years younger than Nancy but less than 20 years older than the first wave of Millennials. The oldest Millennials seem far less petulant, spoiled, and whiney than the rest of them.

I don't really consider (I know they are technically) people born in the 60's to be boomers.

Thanks for the insight.

YW, mostly my point of view, but I rarely hear anything along similar lines. I think all generations try to do the right thing, but none are monolithic in thinking, so the children of those generations grow up with a mix of values ranging from the parents to what the children's friends and teachers brought to the mix. I've often wondered if we as parents had as much input into our kid's point of view as their friends and teachers - there were many many times it didn't feel that we had as much influence. As a military brat, my inputs were probably more controlled especially because of the time period. Our parents were the ones who grew up in times of hardships like the Great Depression and WW2. We were the beginning of generations that had a more carefree childhood, and that lack of hardship and better times has probably led to generations who don't connect life and responsibilities as closely. We were also the generation that most felt the change of moving from rural to more urban life - losing a lot of wisdom and work ethic borne on farms and of self reliance.

Ask any employer - it's the XBOX generation. Technology has decimated them. All they know is video games, texting, selfies, Facebook, tattoos and computers. Dumber than a bucket of rocks.

It's crazy to me that anybody would generalize like this with any degree of seriousness. Either you're trolling or a complete idiot.

Any employer? Or just the crotchety caveman ones who cry about **** that doesn't matter in an employee, like tattoos. I work in the tech industry and it's really odd how they keep hiring people who know their way around an Xbox when that's supposed to be some sort of negative.

It's crazy to me that anybody would generalize like this with any degree of seriousness. Either you're trolling or a complete idiot.

Any employer? Or just the crotchety caveman ones who cry about **** that doesn't matter in an employee, like tattoos. I work in the tech industry and it's really odd how they keep hiring people who know their way around an Xbox when that's supposed to be some sort of negative.

Then you're not out in the real world where things are made and happen. I work for a Fortune 500 company and deal with hundreds of manufacturers and factories. It's the same story from owners, interviewers, floor managers, production managers, engineers, public utility presidents & ceo's, presidents and foremen. It is the same sad story from ALL phases of business - the xbox generation comes in two hours late, can't put their cell phone down, wants to leave early, probably won't show up tomorrow and saves up their money to get thugged up with tattoos.

Yes, I have even heard of one of the top three companies in their field from Knoxville that, off the record, is trying to avoid hiring anyone below the age of forty and will hire everyone age 60 and above. Yes, I have met with a hiring manager from one of the top two home suppliers in America. They don't know what America is going to do for employees in a handful of years....he is going through 60 applicants to get 1 new employee now. Says all the younger generation they find does't know a phillips screwdriver from a pipe nipple. They are experts at video games, cell phones and texting.

I know what I am talking about. This country is flat hurting. Technology has decimated a generation.

Then you're not out in the real world where things are made and happen. I work for a Fortune 500 company and deal with hundreds of manufacturers and factories. It's the same story from owners, interviewers, floor managers, production managers, engineers, public utility presidents & ceo's, presidents and foremen. It is the same sad story from ALL phases of business - the xbox generation comes in two hours late, can't put their cell phone down, wants to leave early, probably won't show up tomorrow and saves up their money to get thugged up with tattoos.

Yes, I have even heard of one of the top three companies in their field from Knoxville that, off the record, is trying to avoid hiring anyone below the age of forty and will hire everyone age 60 and above. Yes, I have met with a hiring manager from one of the top two home suppliers in America. They don't know what America is going to do for employees in a handful of years....he is going through 60 applicants to get 1 new employee now. Says all the younger generation they find does't know a phillips screwdriver from a pipe nipple. They are experts at video games, cell phones and texting.

I know what I am talking about. This country is flat hurting. Technology has decimated a generation.

Sounds like you guys tolerate some absolute ******** in your industry. Get your houses in order. Who would deal with any of that?

I've never had a problem with an employee because they like Xbox. These are the ramblings of a mad man.

...there is a shortage of vocational skills but I would say that probably has nothing to do with video games and everything to do with the push for 4-year degrees. In HS, I legitimately felt like a traditional vocation would have meant failure in life for me. That's not the right way to look at it, but that's the way my teachers and parents from the older generation made me feel about being a mechanic, or whatever. Now I think it's honorable work to be proud of where you can make a good living. I am willing to bet many in my generation felt exactly the same way.

Reactions: jp1 and Orangeburst
Ask any employer - it's the XBOX generation. Technology has decimated them. All they know is video games, texting, selfies, Facebook, tattoos and computers. Dumber than a bucket of rocks.
I work with quite a few recent grads and they are fantastic. They have the ability to learn many systems very quickly and are constantly giving great input into our analytics dept. Those are IT hires but my company also places quite a few UT supply chain grads into the training program. At least 2 are running their own warehouses

Reactions: AM64
My questions to boomers:

Isn't the goal in life to leave the world a better place for your children?

Your parents defeated the Nazis and built the United States into the greatest country in the world with so many opportunities:

Is it fair to say you fell remarkably short of the 'goal' above? Especially compared to what your parents left you....

Reactions: Tyler Durden
My questions to boomers:

Your parents defeated the Nazis and built the United States into the greatest country in the world with so many opportunities:

Is it fair to say you fell remarkably short of the 'goal' above? Especially compared to what your parents left you....
I gave my children a college education free from debts. As a boomer I paid for my own education, so piss off you entitled spoiled little punk.

My questions to boomers:

I didn’t have children yet still funded the lousy education of everybody else’s brats so piss off with your loaded question.

VN Store

Back