Baby Boomer generation

How do you figure?

It's not even close and it has everything to do with discipline. Sorry, but much of NEOCON's list has some things that could be said about any generation.

Heck, teachers can't even discipline their students without parents running to the rescue. Today's kids are coddled.

Once again, NEOCON's list was nothing more than a generalization of an entire group based on observations of a FEW in the group. Typical far right ideology

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Times change, so do people and ideologies. Nothing is better or worse than before, just different.

My parents are baby boomers(born in '49 and '50). They have not participated in any of the activities and/or would be gov't handouts you lumped in with their entire generation. Labels are fun, though.

Relax. It is a generalization. Of course that doesn't include the entire group, but it represents far too many of them.

Relax. It is a generalization. Of course that doesn't include the entire group, but it represents far too many of them.

This. My parents who are Baby Boomers and, like the poster above, do not take hand outs and vote responsibly. They rag on their generation all the time. It really is indefensible how they have reacted politically in the last couple of decades.

I bumped it for you, UT Swim Team at Boys and Girls Club.

Thanks for the bump, I would have never found it without it.

It was who I was thinking of. I originally know Jacob via my fraternity. We are a very odd fraternity, compared to the traditional Greek life, to say the least. No one would ever suspect any of us being a fraternity. When I first joined, they were both studying abroad. Everyone said that we'd be the best of friends when he returned because of similar interests and really laid back personalities. Fairly true. Anyways, we also ended up fielding a pretty competitive 3 on 3 intramural basketball team with a couple of his buddies from high school. Not to mention I spent many hours playing beer pong at their old house in the fort. They are without a doubt the best couple beer pong team I have seen in my life. Crazy good.

Wherever you found one, you found the other. They were inseparable. Jacob alluded to that when he told me about how they met and mutual friends had also told me the same thing. She was probably the most well liked and well respected girlfriend/fiancé/wife during my time on the hill in the circles I traveled in. I never met anyone who didn't like them or have the utmost respect for the both of them.

I know Jacob had flirted with several career paths. I know him and another fraternity brother had been working for guy in construction for the last couple of years and really enjoyed it even though it was only supposed to be temporary. I know both Jacob and our mutual friend had entertained the idea of starting their own business together. As for your daughter, I knew she was interning for a TV station, doing the journalism thing. That's why I was kinda puzzled about the nonprofit thing. Then again, being halfway around the world you fall out of the loop pretty quickly. Additionally, I could have sworn that she was from somewhere in Virginia and your screen name was York, Pa. That threw me off.

Anyways, kudos to you for raising a daughter admired by so many of her peers. She is definitely a daughter a father ought to be proud of. :hi:

Small world.

Thanks for the bump, I would have never found it without it.

It was who I was thinking of. I originally know Jacob via my fraternity. We are a very odd fraternity, compared to the traditional Greek life, to say the least. No one would ever suspect any of us being a fraternity. When I first joined, they were both studying abroad. Everyone said that we'd be the best of friends when he returned because of similar interests and really laid back personalities. Fairly true. Anyways, we also ended up fielding a pretty competitive 3 on 3 intramural basketball team with a couple of his buddies from high school. Not to mention I spent many hours playing beer pong at their old house in the fort. They are without a doubt the best couple beer pong team I have seen in my life. Crazy good.

Wherever you found one, you found the other. They were inseparable. Jacob alluded to that when he told me about how they met and mutual friends had also told me the same thing. She was probably the most well liked and well respected girlfriend/fiancé/wife during my time on the hill in the circles I traveled in. I never met anyone who didn't like them or have the utmost respect for the both of them.

I know Jacob had flirted with several career paths. I know him and another fraternity brother had been working for guy in construction for the last couple of years and really enjoyed it even though it was only supposed to be temporary. I know both Jacob and our mutual friend had entertained the idea of starting their own business together. As for your daughter, I knew she was interning for a TV station, doing the journalism thing. That's why I was kinda puzzled about the nonprofit thing. Then again, being halfway around the world you fall out of the loop pretty quickly. Additionally, I could have sworn that she was from somewhere in Virginia and your screen name was York, Pa. That threw me off.

Anyways, kudos to you for raising a daughter admired by so many of her peers. She is definitely a daughter a father ought to be proud of. :hi:

Small world.

Thanks, I am proud. Her mom was in Virginia, now they are down in Alabama and we settled in York to be close to my wife's family. You can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep so you must be alright!

A Boomer Elegy: To Millennials & Gen-X'ers, "I Am Sincerely Sorry"

The Boomers should never have been allowed in those offices, especially the ones within ten miles of Wall Street. That’s where the cleverest among us came up with the signal innovations that have now wrecked the world. The corona virus is a very bad thing, for sure, but it’s really nothing compared to the deliberate wickedness that engineered the so-called financialized economy — a supernatural matrix of something-for-nothing swindles and frauds that purported to replace actual work that produced things of value. The great lesson of the age was lost: the virtual is not a substitute for the authentic.

And now the Boomer geniuses of finance are scrambling frantically to hurl imaginary money into the black hole they have opened with their own reckless wizardry. But black holes are nothing like ordinary holes. They are unfillable. They just suck everything into a cosmic vacuum that resembles something like death — which, in its implacable mystery, may just be a door to a new disposition of things, the next life, the next reality.

Reactions: Vol737
I thought I paid in 12.4% of my income for 45 years?
You did. But even with that, the total summation of your contributions plus interest (in general, not in all cases) still doesn't equal the amount paid out in benefits. The gap between you contributions and your paid benefits is made up by the taxpayers behind you. That is called a Ponzi scheme. The only way to keep it going is to either get more people in generations behind the Boomers working and contributing or to get fewer Boomers.

It was a Ponzi scheme from the very beginning. The story of Ida May Fuller collecting the first SSI check in 1940 is just one example. She contributed 3 years into the scheme and received a check in 1940 and continued to receive a check for the next 35 years. There are obviously stories of people who contributed 30 years and died before they received anything also, but in general, most recipients today are getting more out of it than they put in to it.

Ida May Fuller - Wikipedia

Fuller filed her retirement claim on November 4, 1939, having worked under Social Security for a little short of three years. While running an errand, she dropped by the Rutland Social Security office to ask about possible benefits. She would later observe: "It wasn't that I expected anything, mind you, but I knew I'd been paying for something called Social Security and I wanted to ask the people in Rutland about it."

Her claim was taken by Claims Clerk, Elizabeth Corcoran Burke, and transmitted to the Claims Division in Washington, D.C. for adjudication. The case was adjudicated and reviewed and sent to the Treasury Department for payment in January 1940. The claims were grouped in batches of 1,000 and a Certification List for each batch was sent to Treasury. Fuller's claim was the first one on the first Certification List and so the first Social Security check, check number 00-000-001, was issued to Fuller in the amount of $22.54 (equivalent to $411 in 2019) and dated January 31, 1940. During her lifetime, she collected a total of $22,888.92 in Social Security benefits and paid in $24.75.[1][2]

Fuller died on January 27, 1975 in Brattleboro, Vermont.

You did. But even with that, the total summation of your contributions plus interest (in general, not in all cases) still doesn't equal the amount paid out in benefits. The gap between you contributions and your paid benefits is made up by the taxpayers behind you. That is called a Ponzi scheme. The only way to keep it going is to either get more people in generations behind the Boomers working and contributing or to get fewer Boomers.

It was a Ponzi scheme from the very beginning. The story of Ida May Fuller collecting the first SSI check in 1940 is just one example. She contributed 3 years into the scheme and received a check in 1940 and continued to receive a check for the next 35 years. There are obviously stories of people who contributed 30 years and died before they received anything also, but in general, most recipients today are getting more out of it than they put in to it.

Ida May Fuller - Wikipedia
I'm not saying it's not a Ponzi scheme. My brother and I were self employed and business partners, and that means we had to pay both halves of ours, not 6.2% like you probably pay. My brother paid in for 45 years, and died at age 67, so I'll be damned if I feel guilty about taking what part of my family's money , they give me back. A lot of our money went into to that sh!thole, and I won't live long enough to get it back. There is no damn gap between what we paid in and what I will get back, so screw you, Junior.

VN Store

Back