B1G A BIG BUST IN NCAA TOURNEY

aurabass

BIG WOOFER
As the year in basketball developed the polls the B1G saw 11 teams in the top 25 rankings
The NCAA Tournament selected 9 teams from the league - Has there ever been a more overrated league in the NCAA Tournament?
I failed to see why the league was so highly rated. How could a 21-9 OSU or a 21-8 Iowa rate 2 seeds?

2 one seeds (Michigan & Illinois) 2 two seeds (Ohio State and Iowa)
Purdue a 4 seed Wisconsin 9 seed, Rutgers & Maryland 10 seeds and MSU in a play in game

The performance of the league is dismal with 1 one seed and 2 two seeds along with 4 seed Purdue eliminated by 15, 13, 8 and 7 seeds
Rutgers, Maryland, & Wisconsin at least lost to higher seeds
Only Michigan remains standing after an 8 point win over LSU - they face Bama in the next game.
2 Illinois 23-6 1 seed 2nd round out to 8 seed
4 Michigan 20-4 1 seed only 1 of 9 NCAA Tourney teams remaining
7 Ohio State 21-9 2 seed 1st round out to 15 seed
8 Iowa 21-8 2 Seed 2nd Round out to 7 seed
20 Purdue 18-10 4 seed 1st round out to 13 see
Wisconsin 18-13 9 seed 2nd round out to 1 seed
Rutgers 16-12 10 seed 2nd round out to 2 seed
Maryland 17-14 10 seed 2nd round out to 2 seed
Michigan State 15-13 lost to UCLA in 1st 4 play in game

Why was the B1G regarded so highly? Only Michigan at 20-4 seems worthy of their ranking
Arkansas at 24-6 ranked behind 23-6 Illinois, 21-9 OSU and 21-8 Iowa
LSU at 19-8 seeded 8th while Purdue at 18-10 is a 4 seed?
The underrated PAC 12 destroyed the highly ranked B1G
And the sports casters still sing the praises of Michigan after the close call with LSU -
I hate to root for Bama but I hope they trash Michigan and complete the history disaster for the B1G in the 2021 Tournament

I don't believe many, if any, of the committee members who seed teams for the Dig Dance are from states represented by teams in the SEC.
From what I've been told, many of them are from the Midwest, so they are biased in favor of teams that represent Midwestern states.
Aside from that, the national sports media is largely biased against teams that represent Southern states.
They have traditionally over-rated basketball teams in the big 10 while under-rating teams in the SEC.
That mainstream media bias influences the selection committee as well.
And the committee was not all that competent in the first place.
All the double-digit seeds knocking off single-digit seeds this time around is telling.

They got an advantage by the polls and committee over other teams with similar records because of the quality and depth of the league. Or perceived quality. I know it was a good league but they over hyped it for sure.

Reactions: aurabass
You're surprised? Sports media has been this way forever. Think about how many mythical (pre-BCS) national championships were bestowed on Big Ten teams before they were forced to prove it on the field. How many Heisman Trophy winners have played for Notre Dame?

I don't believe many, if any, of the committee members who seed teams for the Dig Dance are from states represented by teams in the SEC.
From what I've been told, many of them are from the Midwest, so they are biased in favor of teams that represent Midwestern states.
Aside from that, the national sports media is largely biased against teams that represent Southern states.
They have traditionally over-rated basketball teams in the big 10 while under-rating teams in the SEC.
That mainstream media bias influences the selection committee as well.
And the committee was not all that competent in the first place.
All the double-digit seeds knocking off single-digit seeds this time around is telling.
Nothing is normal during a pandemic. It’s C19 faults that all these double digit seeds knocking of these top seeds!

Nothing is normal during a pandemic. It’s C19 faults that all these double digit seeds knocking of these top seeds!

I think that it is. Newcomers everywhere weren’t allowed to spend the off season working out with their new teammates. Teams with the veterans in their systems have an advantage.

Reactions: ArdentVol
You're surprised? Sports media has been this way forever. Think about how many mythical (pre-BCS) national championships were bestowed on Big Ten teams before they were forced to prove it on the field. How many Heisman Trophy winners have played for Notre Dame?

b1g isnt so bad if 75% of the 25 people in your 25-person money bracket are b1g fans

Of course, there is no media bias towards the Big 10 and ND. I mean, it's not like they had a Heisman trophy winner with a 3-13 TD to INT ratio that won a total of 2 games. I mean, it's not like this 2 win guy won it over 3 guys from undefeated teams and Jim Brown....

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
Here was my biggest issue with the bracket. The NCAA used the NET as justification for rating Big 10 teams high (and us, by the way). When a mid major school has a high NET (Loyola of Chicago, Houston, Colgate), they completely ignore it. When a major school (cough, Texas, Oklahoma State, WVU, Purdue, cough) has a low NET, they ignore it.

Almost all the computers favored the Big 10. The league ratings were badly skewed this year. Short pre-conference season played into that. You would have been better off using conference standings to make NCAA picks than using KenPom et al. When I was trying to make my picks I searched in vain for a computer system that wasn't so Big 10 heavy because I was highly suspicious. In fact, I do not think it is any better than the SEC and may be worse. What Id didn't see coming was the Pac 12.

The PAC has collectively hit their peak at the right time. In KenPom they’ve gone from like the 6th best conference to the 3rd just based on this postseason. It’s the best they’ve been since 2009 when the conference was littered w future NBA players

Almost all the computers favored the Big 10. The league ratings were badly skewed this year. Short pre-conference season played into that. You would have been better off using conference standings to make NCAA picks than using KenPom et al. When I was trying to make my picks I searched in vain for a computer system that wasn't so Big 10 heavy because I was highly suspicious. In fact, I do not think it is any better than the SEC and may be worse. What Id didn't see coming was the Pac 12.
The Big was the #1 rated conference last year, and #2 the year before. It’s possible they’re not overrated but just victims of other factors like a grueling conference slate and tournament randomness.

It is begining to happen every year in basketballas it is in football,the big ten(bastards cannot count-12 teams)are listed in the top ten each preseason.In football,OSU and Missegun are listed in the top ten yearly. OSU I can see somewhat;but,Missegun?Give me a break!Just like the ACC in basketball.Just the schools,Duke NC each year(mostly deserving)but this year?Same with Ky.

Not surprised in the least - Midwesterner's dominate the sportscasting, announcing, and play by play business due to the flat unaccented voices. The B1G's media market covers NYC (Rutgers) - the DC-Baltimore megalopolis (Maryland) Chicagoland (Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue) Detroit (Michigan)-MSU Minneapolis-St. Paul (Minnesota) Columbus (OSU) plus Philadelphia & Pennsylvania (PSU) Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa and even Nebraska. They represent a significant swath of the US population and a large portion of the ESPN - CBS audience. The bias is rooted in revenue.

The Big was the #1 rated conference last year, and #2 the year before. It’s possible they’re not overrated but just victims of other factors like a grueling conference slate and tournament randomness.
I'm sure they underperformed in the tournament. I'm also sure that their seeds were inflated. The record was just too stunningly bad for it to be happenstance. Don't really buy the grueling schedule thing at all.

As the year in basketball developed the polls the B1G saw 11 teams in the top 25 rankings
The NCAA Tournament selected 9 teams from the league - Has there ever been a more overrated league in the NCAA Tournament?
I failed to see why the league was so highly rated. How could a 21-9 OSU or a 21-8 Iowa rate 2 seeds?

Purdue a 4 seed Wisconsin 9 seed, Rutgers & Maryland 10 seeds and MSU in a play in game

The performance of the league is dismal with 1 one seed and 2 two seeds along with 4 seed Purdue eliminated by 15, 13, 8 and 7 seeds
Only Michigan remains standing after an 8 point win over LSU - they face Bama in the next game.

Why was the B1G regarded so highly? Only Michigan at 20-4 seems worthy of their ranking
And the sports casters still sing the praises of Michigan after the close call with LSU -
I hate to root for Bama but I hope they trash Michigan and complete the history disaster for the B1G in the 2021 Tournament
I don’t know about the B1G but I, personally sold the PAC10 short this season. They more than held their own in this tourney, imo.
GBO!!

I'm sure they underperformed in the tournament. I'm also sure that their seeds were inflated. The record was just too stunningly bad for it to be happenstance. Don't really buy the grueling schedule thing at all.
It’s not statistically impossible for them to lose the games they did. There may have been one or two teams overseeded, like Purdue, but what about Wisconsin, Maryland and Rutgers who won as lower seeds and Rutgers was a shot away from beating the 2 seed in their region. Purdue and Ohio state both lost to teams they are undoubtedly better than, but were subject to tournament randomness. Iowa lost to a team that had extended rest while they were coming off 1 day of rest. Illinois lost to Loyola, who if anything was vastly underseeded. KenPom ranked them 9th in the country prior to that game. I think they were probably seeded fairly but individually subject to randomness. Which is the norm this year. Tbh If there was a conference that was overseeded it was the Big 12. Look at these seeds relative to their rankings. At least the Big had seeds generally in line with their rankings.
641E7440-EE00-4DDA-AFBB-E8185F97A2D6.jpeg

This is a great post

I don’t think UT fans have much room to talk about the Big 10.
I liked your post, but hell yea Tennessee fans can talk about the Big 10 all they want...Why? Because it is what it is and the Big 10 was overrated and they SUCK....BTW I have had several bourbons tonight so it is the Alcohol talking but it makes no Difference the BIG 10 Sucks and the SEC puts 2 teams in the final Four..... So there you go.....

VN Store

Back