Awaka to the portal

Were if's and buts candy and nuts. At this point, I'd rather grab proven production rather than hope a guy can learn how to avoid fouling so much....in year THREE.

So tell me who is out there that can play the 5 and can be a double double
Game in and out?

I’ll wait.

He’s proven he can both score & rebound effectively at the 5, what he’s not yet proven is that he can stay out of foul trouble enough to play 20-25 minutes. He’s a likely 10/10 guy if he can stay on the floor for ~25mpg, his 63.3 TS% would rank very well among big men.

Getting 10 and 10 is not a reliable scoring output considering the other scoring we have to replace. Anything short of Aidoo’s scoring this year from the 5 is a major concern.

I’m curious what big is in the portal that you’d like us to take a flyer on that you think will be better than Awaka? Because currently all of the elite bigs are either committed elsewhere, or not even considering us.

From a scoring perspective, there are plenty.

And given the timing of Aidoo, we weren’t prepared and didn’t have time to go all in on the best bigs in the portal. If we are starting Awaka at the 5, our offense is gonna be in trouble scoring wise.

Let’s hope we can replace Aidoo’s production by committee.

Everyone has their opinions and my opinion is that he does have the ability to be a starter at the 5 and be an effective scorer in the post. The way he improved his free throws last season over his freshman season makes me think he may also develop a face up jump shot from 12-17’ which would allow him to play the 4 if Barnes wanted to go big. I’ve been wrong before so we shall see if he does return.

I hope I’m wrong. But it’s been two years and he hasn’t developed anything shooting away from the basket. And now we are expecting him to be a reliable scorer, replacing Aidoo? I’m very skeptical. Once again, him going portaging created this scenario.

I hope I’m wrong. But it’s been two years and he hasn’t developed anything shooting away from the basket. And now we are expecting him to be a reliable scorer, replacing Aidoo? I’m very skeptical. Once again, him going portaging created this scenario.
To be fair, Awaka was far more efficient as a scorer, albeit on ⅓ of the attempts, but if he's playing the 5, I'm not sure he needs to display a great deal of additional range.

I think he can be a poor man's Grant Williams (an undersized post who plays/scores primarily below the rim) if given the opportunity and becomes the primary offensive focus in the paint. His propensity for fouling makes hin his own worst enemy in terms of staying in games and getting in rhythm, so we will see if he can rein that aspect of his game in.

All a moot point if he goes elsewhere, but I'm not nearly as concerned about his offense as you and some others may be. He's shown an ability to an effective post scorer against the average post defender. He will struggle against length and athleticism, but those kind of games will be ones we have to have someone else step up and score in other ways.

Replacing Aidoo's rim protection is far more concerning to me than replacing his offense.

From a scoring perspective, there are plenty.

And given the timing of Aidoo, we weren’t prepared and didn’t have time to go all in on the best bigs in the portal. If we are starting Awaka at the 5, our offense is gonna be in trouble scoring wise.

Let’s hope we can replace Aidoo’s production by committee.

Okay, interesting. Can you please name the players you’d like to see here that would be an upgrade? I’m not trying to be a smartass. I’m genuinely curious. People keep saying there are clear upgrades but don’t give me any real names and I’m just curious who people think are actually clear upgrades to Awaka.

Okay, interesting. Can you please name the players you’d like to see here that would be an upgrade? I’m not trying to be a smartass. I’m genuinely curious. People keep saying there are clear upgrades but don’t give me any real names and I’m just curious who people think are actually clear upgrades to Awaka.
I agree with this sentiment Awaka is a damn good player and he has gotten better every year

To be fair, Awaka was far more efficient as a scorer, albeit on ⅓ of the attempts, but if he's playing the 5, I'm not sure he needs to display a great deal of additional range.

I think he can be a poor man's Grant Williams (an undersized post who plays/scores primarily below the rim) if given the opportunity and becomes the primary offensive focus in the paint. His propensity for fouling makes hin his own worst enemy in terms of staying in games and getting in rhythm, so we will see if he can rein that aspect of his game in.

All a moot point if he goes elsewhere, but I'm not nearly as concerned about his offense as you and some others may be. He's shown an ability to an effective post scorer against the average post defender. He will struggle against length and athleticism, but those kind of games will be ones we have to have someone else step up and score in other ways.

Replacing Aidoo's rim protection is far more concerning to me than replacing his offense.
It’s Estrella time imo, hope he takes advantage this offseason and locks down the 5 spot, a long with Awaka if he comes back.

Ballo and Goldin are the two jump uot.

Those are clear upgrades. Now the reason we never went at them is because everyone thought it was likely we wouldn't have to get in on bigs in the portal. Those two guys are clear scorers and atleast have height to start and play at the 5.

Then go down the list of others like Omoruyi and Milic who have lower double digit scoring averages but are not undersized like Awaka.

And no need to be perceived a Smart ass! I know its tough on these boards, but not every debate is hostile and I never once thought you would be a smartass. Deacon Barnes has built a program of kindness and that applies here.

Once Tobe decided to go portaling, I believe there more than few guys that are better that would replace Aidoo's production and time at the 5 a lot better than Awaka who is undersized at the 5 and not a reliable scorer. Especially when you factor in all the scoring we are losing between Aidoo, DK, and JJJ.

Go Vols!

I agree with this sentiment Awaka is a damn good player and he has gotten better every year
Awaka can be a damn good player and improve each year and still not be capable of starting at the 5 and replacing Aidoo's production....

Those are clear upgrades. Now the reason we never went at them is because everyone thought it was likely we wouldn't have to get in on bigs in the portal. Those two guys are clear scorers and atleast have height to start and play at the 5.

Then go down the list of others like Omoruyi and Milic who have lower double digit scoring averages but are not undersized like Awaka.

And no need to be perceived a Smart ass! I know its tough on these boards, but not every debate is hostile and I never once thought you would be a smartass. Deacon Barnes has built a program of kindness and that applies here.

Once Tobe decided to go portaling, I believe there more than few guys that are better that would replace Aidoo's production and time at the 5 a lot better than Awaka who is undersized at the 5 and not a reliable scorer. Especially when you factor in all the scoring we are losing between Aidoo, DK, and JJJ.

Go Vols!
I view Awaka as a reliable scorer. JMO

Reactions: Franklin_Vol09

Go Vols!

That’s very fair, but Ballo, Goldin, and Clifford are arguably the three best bigs in the portal and we never had a realistic chance to land any of those 3, so my point still kind of stands that there aren’t any realistic options that are clear upgrades to Awaka.

Haven’t seen anybody EXPECTING him to be a reliable scorer. But…
He actually is a reliable scorer IF he can stay on the floor. Rhythm is established with players at all positions, so we haven’t had a chance to see the last Summer Awaka yet. But he HAS proven he can take advantage of garbage buckets… so if he can limit those dam fouls, I’m great with what he produces on O.

Also, 2 years when you enter early isn’t necessarily the same thing, for him. Jmo

Reactions: Lankykong
I view Awaka as a reliable scorer. JMO
At what level? To date, he's a 4.2/4.2 guy who will give you 10-13 min per game. His fouling almost doubled in 1 extra game this year. Yes, kids can improve, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet next season on his "progression".

1713492982047.png

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
I still think he is best suited at the 4 position. He did improve his free throw shooting so he may be able to expand his shooting out to 15 feet or so. He played much better than Aidoo in the later part of the season. I know we lose a 7 footer with Aidoo, but his attitude changed somewhere during the middle part of the SEC season. Difficult to get that attitude back when you lose it.

That’s very fair, but Ballo, Goldin, and Clifford are arguably the three best bigs in the portal and we never had a realistic chance to land any of those 3, so my point still kind of stands that there aren’t any realistic options that are clear upgrades to Awaka.

You didn't ask to name bigs in the portal that were realistic to come here. You just asked for bigs that I thought were better options to replace Aidoo's production and fit the 5.

I guess where I'm at is that Awaka starting and playing the 5 should be a problem for us on offense and defense. He was a great role player to come in and provide some flex at the 4/5 while not needing to be a consistent scoring option.

Hopefully Aidoo pulls a U turn.

I still think he is best suited at the 4 position. He did improve his free throw shooting so he may be able to expand his shooting out to 15 feet or so. He played much better than Aidoo in the later part of the season. I know we lose a 7 footer with Aidoo, but his attitude changed somewhere during the middle part of the SEC season. Difficult to get that attitude back when you lose it.
Correct. Aidoo did tail off to end the season, but height was consistent. That was his fail safe. That is not the case with Awaka playing at the 5

Reactions: volcs
Haven’t seen anybody EXPECTING him to be a reliable scorer. But…

He actually is a reliable scorer IF he can stay on the floor. Rhythm is established with players at all positions, so we haven’t had a chance to see the last Summer Awaka yet. But he HAS proven he can take advantage of garbage buckets… so if he can limit those dam fouls, I’m great with what he produces on O.

Also, 2 years when you enter early isn’t necessarily the same thing, for him. Jmo

It is math....

We are losing 3 starters who were 2 big scoring options for us and a third, JJJ, who could have flashes and score 12-18 points.

Naturally, ZZ and the starter to replace DK will shoulder the scoring load, but we have to have a reliable scorer at the 5 that Aidoo showed he could be more times than not.

We have to replace almost 20 points a game from JJJ/Aidoo aka 4 and 5 positions. Awaka/Estrella combo do not give me comfort to make that up. Especially given the rest of the league's post depth charts.

Reactions: HalfullVol
If we're talking Awaka at the 4, it's a slam dunk....they need to let Awaka go. No way I take Awaka over Milocic for the 4 spot. Awaka's best fit at UT is as an undersized backup at the 5 spot IMO.

Last edited:
Lynn Kidd would have been a great option. Also, what about Great Osobor, Brandon Garrison, Clifford Omoruyi, Amari Williams, or even Andrew Carr from WF or one of the Fl St sophs: Cameron Corhern or Baba Miller. Then there is Jared Coleman Jones too.

VN Store

Back