Awaka to the portal

Why do y’all want him back when he left us high and dry?
Just to be clear, many players enter the portal as a way to reset and renegotiate their NIL deals.

Awaka was a star in the US team this past summer and has shown massive improvements in every area but fouls (free throws in particular)

He has the right to reset what was probably a lower NIL.

But it doesn’t mean he left us

For the same reason that people want players back who went into free agency. It’s not that rare
We took Tyler Baron back last season. We took Tyler Smith (not back, necessarily, but there was beef). I’d be more opposed to taking Aidoo back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lankykong
Just to be clear, many players enter the portal as a way to reset and renegotiate their NIL deals.

Awaka was a star in the US team this past summer and has shown massive improvements in every area but fouls (free throws in particular)

He’s just not all that and it would be better if he moved on imo

I don’t even think Tobe’s reasoning was NIL. Think he wants to be somewhere where he can play 20+ minutes every game which probably wasn’t going to happen with Aidoo still in the mix. With Aidoo gone, minutes are up for grabs.

I don’t even think Tobe’s reasoning was NIL. Think he wants to be somewhere where he can play 20+ minutes every game which probably wasn’t going to happen with Aidoo still in the mix. With Aidoo gone, minutes are up for grabs.
He needs to control his fouls. With that body, it is difficult to avoid considerable contact. Hope he returns to the Vols team.

No doubt…I feel for him to be honest…the state of NIL and transfer portal is just jacked right now…I know he’s a man that has to own his decisions but even experienced professionals are scrambling over this stuff right now
Yeah, and now that these guys can make so much money in college, more people are trying to get a piece and don’t always have their best interest at heart.

He needs to control his fouls. With that body, it is difficult to avoid considerable contact. Hope he returns to the Vols team.

I think he can learn to play without fouling. He may always be somewhat foul prone, but he can mitigate it. Thinking back, Jarnell Stokes had problems with fouling early in his career, but he got it under control and had a breakout junior season. Not saying that I expect Tobe to be Jarnell, but I think that Tobe can absolutely fix his fouling problems.

This portal and NIL has just gotten crazy. Sure, when I played at Memphis State in 1972-73 the best players where driving new cars and such. But come on, this is ruining college sports for me. Back in the good old days, there was some since of pride of winning your conference and then trying to win NCAA championships. There was some loyalty to certain schools. That has sure gone out the window. Where is this madness going?

This portal and NIL has just gotten crazy. Sure, when I played at Memphis State in 1972-73 the best players where driving new cars and such. But come on, this is ruining college sports for me. Back in the good old days, there was some since of pride of winning your conference and then trying to win NCAA championships. There was some loyalty to certain schools. That has sure gone out the window. Where is this madness going?
I will spend a long time trying to figure out who you are. Those Bartow coached teams are some of my favorite of all times. I knew Larry Finch pretty well, and miss his presence.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
No doubt…I feel for him to be honest…the state of NIL and transfer portal is just jacked right now…I know he’s a man that has to own his decisions but even experienced professionals are scrambling over this stuff right now
Tyler has seen that the grass isn’t greener, but that’s what he wanted to do.

I understand the hurt feelings fans get from a player that hits the portal, but until they are on another campus, I would not write them off or down them. This is the new world and fans have to adjust as well, even if we dont like it. Ive spent all week talking to my youngest son, he does not want Tobe back🤣

I still don't think we are losing more than we gain by him staying on the roster. He is too small to play the 5 and can't score reliably to play the 4.

I still don't think we are losing more than we gain by him staying on the roster. He is too small to play the 5 and can't score reliably to play the 4.
I don't disagree, but it might be that things just don't work out in the portal the way we'd hope and a spot is available for Awaka to have a place on next years roster. Wouldn't be the worst thing, but if I'm being honest, I'd rather give the spot to a guy who's more productive and doesn't have the fouling issues.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back