Aviation Discussion

Just dreaming here a little bit sorta. Let’s say I was a wealthy man and I bought my own passenger jet. How hard is it to find a pilot to fly my ass where I wanted to go? Also what do you usually pay them to do it? Is their like a website you can search, like a pilot for higher thingy?
I'll punch you in the mouth & knock your a$$ out for a 100 bucks. Deal? "Just dreaming here a little bit sorta"

Reactions: hog88
I’m heading to CKV next week. Will I be talking to you any?

0900 eastern departure TYS and return later that afternoon.

@ATC_VOL

Yeah you should go through one or maybe two of our sectors. Depending on the angle you’ll be with us just for a little bit between Crossville to BNA’s boundary or if you wind up a little further north towards Bowling Green you’d probably just be a point out to BNA and we’d keep you until Fort Campbell approach. You should be on 132.9 for our frequency.

6362b33e4f2029865c4c62a8137f45b3.jpg

Thank you to all of the Brave men and women that have served and sacrificed for our
country so that we can live free and safe. Thank You.
1656894360785.jpeg

Reactions: yoyoyoyo
😎👍, a MH-53E Sea Dragon flew over the house about an hour ago.

Not something you see everyday flying over the Southern Plateau.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
20% each on my first two. Pretty sure I got crushed by thunderstorms for two weeks straight, but it really improved my working speed. I had a really high volume day yesterday with spacing to all the East Coast stuff plus a holding stack for CLT and was able to keep up fairly well.

Are we doing this DFW spacing for your area? We have a constant 15 MIT on the board and they go through at least two more Indy sectors before Memphis gets them, so the CPCs I work with stay salty over that.

@ATC_VOL

Also, someone in ZME keeps giving all BOS direct RBV and Washington throws a fit every time we don’t catch it and back them up.

20% each on my first two. Pretty sure I got crushed by thunderstorms for two weeks straight, but it really improved my working speed. I had a really high volume day yesterday with spacing to all the East Coast stuff plus a holding stack for CLT and was able to keep up fairly well.

Are we doing this DFW spacing for your area? We have a constant 15 MIT on the board and they go through at least two more Indy sectors before Memphis gets them, so the CPCs I work with stay salty over that.

@ATC_VOL

The past couple of weeks have been super busy for us too. Tons of WX last week and just busy volume this week. My trainee is a little ahead of you. We just got to minimum hours on his 3rd/4th r-sides.

Yes and no on the DFW. We don’t do any DFW spacing in my area or the area to the west of us. We’re the two busiest areas and have lots of other spacing to do, so we don’t really get asked to do DFW stuff. So ZID gets a pass-back to essentially space for the two areas on the western part of ZME. It’s all a bit ridiculous for several reasons. First, DFW is almost 700 miles away from my airspace. Also the area with I84/94 does all of this spacing but they’ll assign the 2nd guy in line something like .74- and just leave it there. So of course the 3rd to 10th guys in line are all going to catch him, essentially negating all of the work they did to get the in-trail. We get pass backs for all the DC and NYC airports daily and it feels a little ridiculous to do that so far away as well.

We get 3-5 lines going into ATL to blend and usually don’t have a pass-back unless there’s 20+ in trail for ZTL. We’re something like 200 miles away from ATL and our sectors are designed to have room to accomplish that spacing. So part of me thinks why can’t that be the norm for other major airports. On the other hand sometimes when I quick look DFW it can be a bit crazy how many aircraft AAL schedules to get there all at the same time. So folks probably need all the help they can get.

I fix at a minimum a dozen times each day people that are direct to GVE because we know ZDC gives you all a hard time with that. The one you miss each week out of 60 though they call and give you crap. So that gets pretty old, especially with all of the ridiculous routes we give to CVG and all of its satellites. So in regards to BOS what fix are they supposed to be over? I’m blanking if they normally go over BKW or not. I feel like they usually don’t.

Happy to hear you’re working as a r-side finally.

@Tri-CitiesVol
I’ll add as well that both of our facilities are kind of red-headed stepchildren. We’re both surrounded by big facilities that ask the world of us and rarely reciprocate when we need something. I wish I could show you some of the stacks ZTL gives us going to BNA 80 miles away for my the airport, when we have 2 other lines to blend with their stacks.

Keeps the days fun and interesting though.

The past couple of weeks have been super busy for us too. Tons of WX last week and just busy volume this week. My trainee is a little ahead of you. We just got to minimum hours on his 3rd/4th r-sides.

Yes and no on the DFW. We don’t do any DFW spacing in my area or the area to the west of us. We’re the two busiest areas and have lots of other spacing to do, so we don’t really get asked to do DFW stuff. So ZID gets a pass-back to essentially space for the two areas on the western part of ZME. It’s all a bit ridiculous for several reasons. First, DFW is almost 700 miles away from my airspace. Also the area with I84/94 does all of this spacing but they’ll assign the 2nd guy in line something like .74- and just leave it there. So of course the 3rd to 10th guys in line are all going to catch him, essentially negating all of the work they did to get the in-trail. We get pass backs for all the DC and NYC airports daily and it feels a little ridiculous to do that so far away as well.

We get 3-5 lines going into ATL to blend and usually don’t have a pass-back unless there’s 20+ in trail for ZTL. We’re something like 200 miles away from ATL and our sectors are designed to have room to accomplish that spacing. So part of me thinks why can’t that be the norm for other major airports. On the other hand sometimes when I quick look DFW it can be a bit crazy how many aircraft AAL schedules to get there all at the same time. So folks probably need all the help they can get.

I fix at a minimum a dozen times each day people that are direct to GVE because we know ZDC gives you all a hard time with that. The one you miss each week out of 60 though they call and give you crap. So that gets pretty old, especially with all of the ridiculous routes we give to CVG and all of its satellites. So in regards to BOS what fix are they supposed to be over? I’m blanking if they normally go over BKW or not. I feel like they usually don’t.

Happy to hear you’re working as a r-side finally.

Yeah, it’s just as crazy for you all to do DC and NY mets as it is for us to space DFW. As long as 84/94 gets something started for us, typically spacing isn’t too bad. I had my first line of 7 DCAs S turning the other day and that was an experience. What really throws off spacing for me is trying to blend in the surprises we get out of Atlanta into a stream that I almost had worked out otherwise.

Do you all not use metering for ATL arrivals? We meter for ATL and CLT. The guys to the south of me are champs. We’ve been told as long as the metering number is a 0 we are allowed to hand them off stacked, but I feel terrible about handing them a pile of **** constantly.

We can get away with direct GVE, but it gets abused somewhat. They’ve been cool about it recently as long as you aren’t giving them competition by shortcutting the back guy. MAULS is probably the preferred shortcut. It’s similar to MOL and is just one fix prior to GVE, I believe. LOA for BOS says SITTR (Waypoint overlayed on BKW) Q34.RBV. You could do MAULS or GVE on Q34, but RBV is a big left turn so it messes with the arrivals for BWI/DCA/IAD if they go left at BKW/SITTR instead of the straight ahead that ASBUR does or slight right that MAULS and GVE would take them.

Yeah, it’s just as crazy for you all to do DC and NY mets as it is for us to space DFW. As long as 84/94 gets something started for us, typically spacing isn’t too bad. I had my first line of 7 DCAs S turning the other day and that was an experience. What really throws off spacing for me is trying to blend in the surprises we get out of Atlanta into a stream that I almost had worked out otherwise.

Do you all not use metering for ATL arrivals? We meter for ATL and CLT. The guys to the south of me are champs. We’ve been told as long as the metering number is a 0 we are allowed to hand them off stacked, but I feel terrible about handing them a pile of **** constantly.

We can get away with direct GVE, but it gets abused somewhat. They’ve been cool about it recently as long as you aren’t giving them competition by shortcutting the back guy. MAULS is probably the preferred shortcut. It’s similar to MOL and is just one fix prior to GVE, I believe. LOA for BOS says SITTR (Waypoint overlayed on BKW) Q34.RBV. You could do MAULS or GVE on Q34, but RBV is a big left turn so it messes with the arrivals for BWI/DCA/IAD if they go left at BKW/SITTR instead of the straight ahead that ASBUR does or slight right that MAULS and GVE would take them.
Cool, thanks for the BOS info. I’ll try to remember to start looking closer at those. I may forget though, I’m off the next 11 days.

We do meter for ATL but it’s metering AND spacing. So we have to get the numbers down to 0 or 1 and also have them all lined up.

@Tri-CitiesVol
I’ll add as well that both of our facilities are kind of red-headed stepchildren. We’re both surrounded by big facilities that ask the world of us and rarely reciprocate when we need something. I wish I could show you some of the stacks ZTL gives us going to BNA 80 miles away for my the airport, when we have 2 other lines to blend with their stacks.

Keeps the days fun and interesting though.

Atlanta for the most part is pretty cool on the east end. I am beginning to hate Burne and Blue Ridge if you deal with them. At least four or five times this week they’ve ignored my PVD or handoff and flashing guys who are wired up with the traffic I’ve been showing them the past five minutes haha.

Washington can be a nightmare. They shut us off way too frequently. Just a couple weeks ago they said they couldn’t accept any more J42/Q34 traffic. You know how many planes that means were thrown into the hold some of them just a minute from the boundary. The guy actually said it was for the safety of aircraft on the line haha. The scramble to spin guys couldn’t have been any safer. I’ve never heard of any issues with Memphis. Hope 84/94 and 81/82 don’t screw you all over.

Cool, thanks for the BOS info. I’ll try to remember to start looking closer at those. I may forget though, I’m off the next 11 days.

We do meter for ATL but it’s metering AND spacing. So we have to get the numbers down to 0 or 1 and also have them all lined up.

That’s interesting. They may hate us then. I’ve seen CLTs stacked 250-290, all zeros and about five miles between the entire group haha. LOA gives ZTL control for speed so maybe they just prefer doing their own plan instead of trying to make what we start work.
I’m down in TN doing some flying this weekend, then it’s back to the meat grinder. My area is pretty much mandatory 6 day weeks. I even get pulled in half the time to work a sixth as a D side. And I’m held over every night shift. I can see how you all get burnt out already, so enjoy the time off!

That’s interesting. They may hate us then. I’ve seen CLTs stacked 250-290, all zeros and about five miles between the entire group haha. LOA gives ZTL control for speed so maybe they just prefer doing their own plan instead of trying to make what we start work.
I’m down in TN doing some flying this weekend, then it’s back to the meat grinder. My area is pretty much mandatory 6 day weeks. I even get pulled in half the time to work a sixth as a D side. And I’m held over every night shift. I can see how you all get burnt out already, so enjoy the time off!

Will do, thanks. You too. 6 day work weeks as a trainee are extra hard.

No real issues with any of the ZID areas we touch. We annoy each other now and then but everyone gets along well usually.

I’ve heard Washington is bad about that. ZJX is becoming the same way.

We don’t touch the blue ridge sector, but do that area. That’s the one we have the most issues with.

VN Store

Back