Austin Kendall decommits (Story Link)

Can't blame the kid at all given our plethora of young QBs.

Frankly, I don't understand why ANY traditional pocket passer would even look at Tennessee given CBJs offensive scheme.

Reactions: 1 person
Can't blame the kid at all given our plethora of young QBs.

Frankly, I don't understand why ANY traditional pocket passer would even look at Tennessee given CBJs offensive scheme.

Isn't Dormady listed as a pro-style pocket passer by ESPN, Yahoo, Rivals, et al.?

Maybe he saw the Sheriron Jones article and decided he wanted no part of it. Competition brings the best out of some players while others tuck their ballz and go home. Anyways, best of luck to AK wherever he decides to attend college.

fyp

Several reasons...mainly three QB's...but he didn't want us recruiting other QB's and with his commitment extremely shaky (at best) CBJ wasn't comfortable doing that so the parting was mutual according to 247...Actually they said a source close to AK even said at the end he was prob going to Kentucky anyways...so this is good thing to happen now so we can get back in on two or three other QB's...and of course Jarrett Guarantano is a strong possibility any way....so good decisions on all parties involved...and a recruit just can not dictate who you recruit and not recruit after he commits....that would never work because until he signs....youre gambling....and if we know anything about CBJ he aint gonna gamble when it comes to recruiting....The kid actually did us a favor and we should be thankful...now all Kentucky has to do is put his brother on scholarship (which they will) and he'll land in Lexington...wish him well...

Even if you are not scared of competition, why would any kid put themselves in a position to have to beat out 3 highly rated players at your same position all 1 year older than you at a position where only 1 player gets to play unless the other guy gets hurt.

Reactions: 3 people
Kid de-commits = scared of competition and expected to be handed the job....according to VN speculation, assumptions, and biased conclusions about a kid's character.

DeBord would've convinced Kendall to stay if he'd have wanted. He's got a decent chance of starting @ UK and his brother's already there. Common sense dictates two qbs will be signed in that class. Johnson and Guarantano will most likely be those two, so most likely CMD told him to look elsewhere. Make sense?

I am a 100% rock solid Butch supporter. And will not second guess him now. Every article questioned the Debord hire for good reason. There was a reason that Butch did not announce him as new OC until after NSD. There will be an impact on recruits up front. He is older and has been absent from the front line and the trenches. I believe Butch is really the offensive genius here like Saban is the defensive genius at Bama.

Well I can't say I blame him for decommitting, or say that I didn't see this coming. By the time he made it to campus, there would already be 3 heavily recruited qbs ahead of him eyeing the starting job once Dobbs graduates. Having three 4 star underclassmen qbs on the roster would scare off most qb prospects.

DeBord would've convinced Kendall to stay if he'd have wanted. He's got a decent chance of starting @ UK and his brother's already there. Common sense dictates two qbs will be signed in that class. Johnson and Guarantano will most likely be those two, so most likely CMD told him to look elsewhere. Make sense?

Yes and no. The story is that UT told him he would be the only QB taken but as long as he insisted on visiting other places we would continue to recruit others. We did not want to be left holding the bag if he decided to go elsewhere at the last minute. Behind the scenes UK has promised to put his brother on scholarship if he would go to UK. Competition at UK wont be a cake walk either. Towles will be the starter in 16 and Barker, who was a top 100 recruit, will be a Soph. If Barker can keep his nose clean he very well may be a two year starter leaving Kendall one or two years there depending on his willingness to redshirt.

Probably didn't help with DeBord coming. But it's March...no telling who will be signing by February (or EE whenever that is)

Plus if we have a great season, which we very well should...this recruiting class will be beast again.

We've gotten this far in and nobody has said we didn't want him anyway, even ironically?

Hellfire, we have a record.

Probably didn't help with DeBord coming. But it's March...no telling who will be signing by February (or EE whenever that is)

Plus if we have a great season, which we very well should...this recruiting class will be beast again.
Judging by your avi, BOV, I can see you're far too young to grasp the shallowness of that first sentence, but time will cure that form of intellectual palsy. You appear to be a nice fella, so maybe you'll grow wiser with age and not senile once passing 30, as so very many within your generation seem to believe. There couldn't be a better person running UT's offense than CMD. His age is an attribute and not a handicap. How, may I ask, do you determine that DeBord's coming doesn't help? Have you read the accolades all those big time NFL qbs have laid on the man...and every UT player who's been interviewed as to their perception of him? I'll bet you any amount that there's not a player on the roster who's not thrilled that this man's running Butch's offense, since getting to know him. Let's see how many qbs he runs off. Response?

Reactions: 6 people
Well I can't say I blame him for decommitting, or say that I didn't see this coming. By the time he made it to campus, there would already be 3 heavily recruited qbs ahead of him eyeing the starting job once Dobbs graduates. Having three 4 star underclassmen qbs on the roster would scare off most qb prospects.

Every big time program has depth at the vital positions...Ohio State runs 5 deep at QB this coming season and they lead for Guarantano. David Cornwell had to outshine other prospects at a school combine to get a BAMA offer and then Blake Barnett signs up the next season. This is where we want to be...can't be held hostage by a teenage kid's whims...if he needs something else, a lesser program will gladly give it to him.

Kid de-commits = scared of competition and expected to be handed the job....according to VN speculation, assumptions, and biased conclusions about a kid's character.

The only thing more predictable than the above VN reaction is the Fade post pointing the reaction out. While I don't necessarily disagree with it, I have to wonder why it appears in every single transfer or de-commit thread. Nothing has changed yet. Nor will it ever.

Can't blame him. About the worst situation possible from a depth chart perspective.

Not if he's worth a crap and wants to compete. The freshman will only have 1 yr on him so if he's any good then he could think that he has a shot at #2 in 2016 and compete for the starting job in 2017 which is what the other 3 are doing!

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

guess he didn't want that much competition. If You play at Tennessee you're gonna have competition. Go to Kentucky

Opening us up for a 5* QB.

I don't see Dobbs coming out early...even with a Master's degree in hand as he would get his PhD right away.

Short of one QB cross training to another position of need, we will have a log jam one year ahead of Kendall.

We need WRs and RBs, so we can just plus up those positions...among others (MLB, CB, etc).

VN Store

Back