'22 AUS Punter Jackson Ross (committed)

I have noticed several kickers from Australia in recent years. Couldn't name them if I had to, but I remember LSU had two back to back if I'm not mistaken, and I remember hearing punters from other schools from Australia as well. Glad we have one coming.
They see US as a GOLDen opportunity. Def beats SURFing from one Aussie Rules team to the next. And here's the KICKER, dude can kick Rugby style or dropkick, that's bonzer, mate!

Hope dude rolls up onto campus...5EFC84F9-A756-4EBE-89EE-AD9D4332AB2A.gif

I don’t remember even hearing of Aussie punters until a couple years ago, is there an academy there? Where did all these good kickers come from? Rugby?

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I don’t remember even hearing of Aussie punters until a couple years ago, is there an academy there? Where did all these good kickers come from? Rugby?
Jackson like most of the kickers come from Melbourne which is the home of AFL. AFL is a game based on scoring/defending/attacking via kicking from distance. Similar ball to American football too. Teams kick around 200 times in a game. So these guys are learning to kick distances from age 4 and up. No rocket science to it. They just get trained to kick from a very young age. So they've opened up camps, academies and trainers in Melbourne that literally just focus on sending, mostly punters, to college. Main sport in Sydney is probably rugby league or soccer. Again, heavy kicking sports. But not like AFL. That's why most of the punters come from Melbourne, Australia.

Jackson like most of the kickers come from Melbourne which is the home of AFL. AFL is a game based on scoring/defending/attacking via kicking from distance. Similar ball to American football too. Teams kick around 200 times in a game. So these guys are learning to kick distances from age 4 and up. No rocket science to it. They just get trained to kick from a very young age. So they've opened up camps, academies and trainers in Melbourne that literally just focus on sending, mostly punters, to college. Main sport in Sydney is probably rugby league or soccer. Again, heavy kicking sports. But not like AFL. That's why most of the punters come from Melbourne, Australia.
5TAAh4.gif

Reactions: VOLSONLY

Most are from Australian Rules Football. They are adept at punting the ball after running with it. So fake punts with these guys are something opposing punt return teams have to be cautious about.

There are only 18 teams in the top level league (AFL). But there are also several lower level leagues (VFL, WAFL, SANFL, ect ect) The game has grown in the past few years. I first discovered it in 1982. Back then there were only 12 tems in the top league. But even with that growth? There are still plenty of good experienced punters who are on the outside looking in every year. The program (known as Auskick) has been going on for at least 5 years now. Actually a good opportunity for them, and for the colleges who recruit them.

Just as soccer style kickers changed forever how kicking in done in the NFL and in college football, these guys could cause an evolvement for the punting game.

I went to Melbourne to watch some AFL in 2014. it was terrific. Imagine if you invented a game with NBA small forwards up front, a mix of linebackers and soccer midfielders in the middle, and some kind of different beast altogether on the back line. That felt like what I was watching.

And the field was huge. A cricket ground, I think. Those guys stay in shape.

Boom!
iu

If you don't think a punter is important, go watch the end of the 2003 game vs Miami and the end of the 2015 game vs Georgia. Trevor Daniel's punt was absolutely perfect

Reactions: hooter vol
If you don't think a punter is important, go watch the end of the 2003 game vs Miami and the end of the 2015 game vs Georgia. Trevor Daniel's punt was absolutely perfect
Dustin Colquitt…. but yeah.

Pfft. Like you'd know...

VN Store

Back