Auburn Postgame Thread

I question whether JJJ will ever have the mental makeup to be that kind of player. Physically, I agree he could be that bulky like Admiral was. He just has miles to go with the mindset, and that is typically something you are either born with or you're not. His high school coach had to beg him to be the dominant player for his HS team, too.
Fulky hasn’t shown this dominant “mindset” before this year - was he born with it and it was just asleep?

Fulky hasn’t shown this dominant “mindset” before this year - was he born with it and it was just asleep?
Fulky did show it in his limited appearances as a freshman, though. Then he got lapped by others because of his injury. Now fully healthy and getting starter minutes, he has displayed it, again. But to your point, I used the word "typically" as to not speak in absolutes. There are, most oftentimes, going to be exceptions to the rule.

So the 4.7 points and 4.6 rebounds per game his freshman season during those first 10 games demonstrated his dominant mindset?

I’ll agree that some athletes are confident beyond their production while others build their confidence as their production rises. Fulky appears to be the second to me

So the 4.7 points and 4.6 rebounds per game his freshman season during those first 10 games demonstrated his dominant mindset?

I’ll agree that some athletes are confident beyond their production while others build their confidence as their production rises. Fulky appears to be the second to me

Fulky & Grant were both playing like Freshman cream rising to the top before the 9th game I believe in 2016 We will never know but either Grants or Admiral's numbers may have not been as good if the injury to JF never occurs. It could have just went the way it went but Barnes really had high praise for Fulky & Grant in 2016. Admiral came on later he was just running the floor rebounding & D in the 1st 9 games in 2016 (still hope for JJJ). I think AS was an alpha with the background to live with another alpha. Fulky has the alpha but was deferring to Lamonte pre-injury then to JB & JB was looking to anyone else and then Fulky said it's time for me to take it. IMO you are both right to a point.

A leadership mindset also depends on your role on the team. Fulky was, at best, the 6th option last year. He only averaged 12 minutes per game. It’s very difficult to have a “dominant” mindset when you are a role player next to the back to back conference player of the year and another senior, who wants the ball late. As a role player, you accept your position and know that your time will come. That’s what it’s like playing on a team.

I can't help you if you aren't capable of recognizing the association. Turning on your caps lock doesn't make your nonsense more accurate.

Kiffin's garbage was concurrent with the NCAA digging into everything going on at UT. You're naive if you don't think that they weren't aware of Nu'Keese and Janzen at Pilot, the January 1st traffic stop, even with the title IX allegations. Just because Kiffin wasn't convicted doesn't mean that enforcement wasn't looking into anything and everything going on. When Fulmer was the HFC, he had earned some level of immunity. As long as he was respectful of and cooperative with the NCAA they weren't in the habit of elevating the dealings with UT. With Kiffin being a punk thumbing his nose at the NCAA there was little wiggle room for Pearl to operate. The NCAA had him dead to rights with the photo and statements by the Crafts. Bruce panicked and lied. It was already written into his contract that he could be dismissed for any violation. Kiffin's actions lead to the elevated scrutiny, Pearl failed to adjust, Kiffin dodged the NCAA, Bruce took the fall. The NCAA doesn't care much about violations. They care about protecting their brand and revenue stream (most of which comes from March Madness). Under Hamilton's (lack of) control, TN was an embarrassment. If Fulmer was running football instead of Kiffin's band of clowns, Pearl likely walks a straighter line and isn't noticed. If Kiffin was never the UTFB coach then Bruce doesn't come under attack by the NCAA and the UT administration in that time frame. But Pearl's lack of character would have, IMO, eventually caught up to him even without Kiffin raising the scrutiny of the NCAA.
giphy.gif

I didn't really think we played THAT badly overall. Yes, we left shooters open on the perimeter, but they did too. The difference was that Doughty hit them (as well as some very very contested ones), and we didn't consistently enough. The rest of their team didn't actually shoot as well from 3. It was the Doughty show.

Edited to say that a big problem we have (and have had the past couple of years) is that we bite so hard on shot fakes that even if we do close out on perimeter shooters, we get out of position on the fake, allowing them to either step to the side and shoot it or pass to another wing for a step-in 3. I often wish we'd just do a hard close out and make them shoot with a hand running at them instead of trying for a low percentage block.

Fulk, pre-injury, didn’t look intimidated or timid playing as an unheralded freshman against UNC and Oregon. He was arguably the best FR on the team, and then he got injured. Grant Williams took over that role as featured player and stayed there for the next 2.5 years while Fulk recovered.

Reactions: voldad34
The NCAA released a multi-sport infractions report at the time the Pearl stuff was investigated. It was part of a 22 month long investigation involving football and baseball too. Hamilton offered up Bruce so the school wouldn't take any heat. It was short sighted as it turned out. You could have hammered football with no major impact on the program because it was trash under Dooley anyway and losing Bruce cost the school 25-30 million in basketball revenue. To the "HE GOT CAUGHT AND LIED!!!" crowd. Find me a coach who didn't lie. Bruce's issue wasn't the lie, it was the complete lack of support from Hamilton.

Frank Haith's investigation changed the NCAA enforcement completely. The NCAA was challenged on it and backed down because they have virtually no real power. Haith provided 100,000+ dollars to a man who was paying recruits, throwing yacht parties for them etc. Haith told the NCAA 3 different stories about what happened in the 3 times they interviewed him. He had went to Missouri from Miami already, Missou basically told the NCAA to kick rocks, they were keeping him. Haith got 8 games.

Jim Boeheim lied to the NCAA for 20 years or so during an 8 year NCAA investigaion, Syracuse had massive academic fraud going on, was giving players extra benefits including pay, and was ignoring positive drugs tests, and Boeheim got 9 games.

Bruce Pearl's 3 year ban is the most ridiculous penalty in NCAA history.
Agree. Bruce's biggest infraction was coaching at a football school.

VN Store

Back