Auburn is a great case study for Tennessee

Auburn is overmatched by Nick Saban and Alabama and they have to play Bama, Georgia, and LSU every year just like us. Yes, Auburn has bad years like the 3-9 year but they are also putting good teams on the field. Auburn should be a great case study for Tennessee. The two schools are very similar with regard to resources, etc. Auburn has been through a lot of transition at the coaching position but they have a good coach now (who always seems to be on the hot seat for some reason).

Tennessee should do a case study on Auburn (perhaps Florida and LSU as well) to determine what they are doing that we are not doing as a program. Typically when your company is failing, you also study your competitors for ideas.

It is embarrassing that we cannot even put a competitive team on the field. Sure you are going to have bad years but we have had a bad decade and it is still running. Let this sink in, Tennessee hasn't finished in the AP top ten since 2001. This is embarrassing for one of the SEC's big 6. We need to model ourselves after some of these programs and make the decisions that they are making to propel our program back into a winning program.
My humble opinion is that we continue to hire coaches that have very little or NO HEAD COACHING experience at power 5 level. Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, now Pruitt. Very little big time head coaching experience at a big time job like Tennessee. I read the contingent of fans that say, "oh, give him time". Whatever. If we continue to allow mediocrity or worse, were going to continue to get mediocrity or worse. Bottom line, Fulmer needs to swallow his pride, stubborness, and ego. Get someone that is an absolute proven winner at a big time level. Granted, they're not many of those. But, as Urban Meyer said, UT is a top ten job. How about we hire a top ten coach and quit hiring these mid level type coaches. How about we quit with the same old tired rhetoric of "just give him time". Ask yourself this, if we give Pruitt five years, will he really make UT respectable again. If your answer is yes, then I guess he's your guy. My answer isn't yes. If Mack Brown in his 1st year can take a team that only won a few games a year ago and have them playing hard, playing with heart, well organized, and already competing well against big time programs, then I don't think it's to much for UT to ask for and have the same thing. I don't expect miracles, but at a minimum guys should play hard, know what to do, play with passion, and be organized. You get what you settle for. We are settling for Pruitt. I'm sure he's a fine person, but I think we can do better.

I was just talking to an Auburn grad today that said last year"fire that clown,he can't coach'This year ,so far,they think they'll keep him.It's the same every where.
Yeah.
Watch how quick that changes if they lose to LSU, UGA and Bama.

I think they re better that UF but Gus seems to find one of those games every year.

Reactions: morristown vol
One of my oldest friends and his dad both wanted Gus gone midway thru
last season. Seemed to me the vocal majority agreed. Once the powers that be looked at his buyout ($35 million??) they collectively said no and essentially demanded Gus call the plays. At least that’s what I was told.

Also Auburn complained so much about having to play GA and Bama back to back to the SEC and pressed to move Ga earlier in the year. The SEC switched GA to October next year and put LSU in their place. Auburn fans were pissed. That’s all they talked about all summer long on Jox (Bham talk radio).

Stop lying. They fired Chizik after only four years, and just two years removed from a national championship. Immediately prior to Chizik, they fired Tuberville after only one losing season, just four years removed from him going 13-0.

UT has never even approached the level of trigger-happiness with coaches that is Auburn. For that matter, we tolerate mediocrity far more than any other power program in the SEC. All you coach worshippers would have brain aneurysms if we fired like UF or AU or LSU or Bama or UGA did, i.e. when a coach stopped performing at a championship level.
I don't lie. I might be wrong but I don't lie. This time how ever YOU ARE WRONG. Since 1999 through this morning Auburn has had 3 HCs. In that time frame UT has had 7. Two of which were interim coaches. You my friend, either can't do simple math or you are a LIAR?

I don't lie. I might be wrong but I don't lie. This time how ever YOU ARE WRONG. Since 1999 through this morning Auburn has had 3 HCs. In that time frame UT has had 7. Two of which were interim coaches. You my friend, either can't do simple math or you are a LIAR?
You just proved that you're the liar by counting interim coaches, which anyone with even the slightest bit of understanding of football knows are not counted. Do you even understand the concept of interim, nitwit? It means they're hired on a temporary basis, meaning they and everyone else knows they're not keeping the job.

Another minor detail: one of the five head coaches we have had quit, meaning we didn't fire him. We have fired a whopping total of one more coach in the last twenty years than has Auburn, and we never fired a coach who had not gone much longer without any substantial success than what the Auburn coaches that were fired did.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense or reasoning power understands that firing a coach two years removed from winning a NC is more extreme and less patient than firing a coach who never had a winning season (Dooley) or who had just lost eight games for the first time in the hundred-plus-year history of the program (Jones). But clearly you'll say anything to try to win an argument.

Guess what? You're still a liar. You're probably also twelve years old because no one much older than that would be asinine enough to count interim coaches.

Having been called out for my use of the language, I'll put this succinctly - Uh uh. Auburn be cray cray.

You just proved that you're the liar by counting interim coaches, which anyone with even the slightest bit of understanding of football knows are not counted. Do you even understand the concept of interim, nitwit? It means they're hired on a temporary basis, meaning they and everyone else knows they're not keeping the job.

Another minor detail: one of the five head coaches we have had quit, meaning we didn't fire him. We have fired a whopping total of one more coach in the last twenty years than has Auburn, and we never fired a coach who had not gone much longer without any substantial success than what the Auburn coaches that were fired did.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense or reasoning power understands that firing a coach two years removed from winning a NC is more extreme and less patient than firing a coach who never had a winning season (Dooley) or who had just lost eight games for the first time in the hundred-plus-year history of the program (Jones). But clearly you'll say anything to try to win an argument.

Guess what? You're still a liar. You're probably also twelve years old because no one much older than that would be asinine enough to count interim coaches.
I gave you the information that 2 were interim coaches. Some interim coaches win the job. Those 2 didn't. Had I hidden the FACT or not given you that information you might have been right. Maybe for the first time in your life. Since you couldn't do the math AGAIN you still don't get it. Not really sure how giving you numbers and facts make me a lair. Maybe I was counting on your dumb azz to be able to do simple math. My bad. I am now finished trying to have an intelligent dialog with a fool. I should have know better. I am out of this and this will be my last response to you. I have wasted enough time on you. They were right you really can't fix stupid. GO VOLS

Last edited:
I gave you the information that 2 were interim coaches. Some interim coaches win the job. Those 2 didn't. Had I hidden the FACT or not given you that information you might have been right. Maybe for the first time in your life. Since you couldn't do the math AGAIN you still don't get it. Not really sure how giving you numbers and facts make me a lair. Maybe I was counting on your dumb azz to be able to do simple math. My bad. I am now finished trying to have an intelligent dialog with a fool. I should have know better. I am out of this and this will be my last response to you. I have wasted enough time on you. They were right you really can't fix stupid. GO VOLS
Go back to English class, twelve-year-old. You do nothing but spew nonsense hoping it will somehow magically transform into something coherent. It hasn't. Counting interims only makes you look stupid, which you have definitely proven is the case.

I am married to the most loyal of all auburn fans. He supports Gus. They have had their bad times and bad coaches but seem to be doing fine now. Bo Nix would never have gone anywhere else. Tennessee can come back with stability of staff and good recruiting. Having the chance to play immediately is a big plus. Let’s pull together for our Vols. Spirit of the fans win games for the team.

Reactions: morristown vol
I wish one of you pumpers would just for once be bold enough to type that we should have given Dooley a fourth or fifth year, or that we should have given Jones a sixth year, and that if we had done so that we would be contending for championships now. You type this nonsense that's so mindless that it's repulsive, counting on the average person on the forum not thinking it through far enough to see that that's the logical extension of your argument, and the only possible inference one can make, i.e. that we would be rolling Bama and UGA now if we had just kept one of those bozos longer. You can't possibly really believe that.

I realize you almost certainly are paid in one capacity or another by the UTAD and thus don't believe what you're typing any more than those of us who are sane. But it's still really, really obnoxious.

My issue isn't what happened in Year 3 of Dooley, or Year 5 of Jones, those were deserved, and a case could have been made for end of Year 2 with Dooley, and perhaps Year 4 with Butch (but much harder since we beat both Uga and Florida that year).

My issue is that there was a substantial minority that wasn't sold on either, particularly Jones, FROM DAY ONE. I don't think it was as bad with Dooley, but was overwhelmingly negative with Butch the minute he set foot on campus, and never let up, even when he did have success. A good example is the bitching and moaning after we beat Uga and Florida back to back, that it somehow wasn't good enough. There were people being overwhelmingly negative and crying like 3 year old girls who spilled their milk in Butch Season 1.

And yeah, I see that happening again. That creates an enormous negativity around the program and makes it harder for coaches and players to succeed.

So for the current situtation, yeah, Pruitt has effed up pretty badly this season so far, but it's still early Season 2. There are eight games left to be played, and my money says it gets better, not worse. I could well be wrong, and this could turn out to be the worse season in Tennessee history.

BUT...if and until it does, I will try to avoid being a huge crybaby and yelling for the coach to be fired like a two year old with a full diaper. I am going to hold my powder till later in the season, give Pruitt a chance to right the ship, and see what happens.

In the meantime, keep crying all you want. Your momma's not gonna help you on this. Yeahhh, keep turning off recruits and pissing off our coaches. Because that has worked so well so far!

Last edited:
Auburn is overmatched by Nick Saban and Alabama and they have to play Bama, Georgia, and LSU every year just like us. Yes, Auburn has bad years like the 3-9 year but they are also putting good teams on the field. Auburn should be a great case study for Tennessee. The two schools are very similar with regard to resources, etc. Auburn has been through a lot of transition at the coaching position but they have a good coach now (who always seems to be on the hot seat for some reason).

Tennessee should do a case study on Auburn (perhaps Florida and LSU as well) to determine what they are doing that we are not doing as a program. Typically when your company is failing, you also study your competitors for ideas.

It is embarrassing that we cannot even put a competitive team on the field. Sure you are going to have bad years but we have had a bad decade and it is still running. Let this sink in, Tennessee hasn't finished in the AP top ten since 2001. This is embarrassing for one of the SEC's big 6. We need to model ourselves after some of these programs and make the decisions that they are making to propel our program back into a winning program.

#nolsu4you

My issue isn't what happened in Year 3 of Dooley, or Year 5 of Jones, those were deserved, and a case could have been made for end of Year 2 with Dooley, and perhaps Year 4 with Butch (but much harder since we beat both Uga and Florida that year).

My issue is that there was a substantial minority that wasn't sold on either, particularly Jones, FROM DAY ONE. I don't think it was as bad with Dooley, but was overwhelmingly negative with Butch the minute he set foot on campus, and never let up, even when he did have success. A good example is the bitching and moaning after we beat Uga and Florida back to back, that it somehow wasn't good enough. There were people being overwhelmingly negative and crying like 3 year old girls who spilled their milk in Butch Season 1.

And yeah, I see that happening again. That creates an enormous negativity around the program and makes it harder for coaches and players to succeed.

So for the current situtation, yeah, Pruitt has effed up pretty badly this season so far, but it's still early Season 2. There are eight games left to be played, and my money says it gets better, not worse. I could well be wrong, and this could turn out to be the worse season in Tennessee history.

BUT...if and until it does, I will try to avoid being a huge crybaby and yelling for the coach to be fired like a two year old with a full diaper. I am going to hold my powder till later in the season, give Pruitt a chance to right the ship, and see what happens.

In the meantime, keep crying all you want. Your momma's not gonna help you on this. Yeahhh, keep turning off recruits and pissing off our coaches. Because that has worked so well so far!
I was with you until you referred to me as crying to my mother, a statement in and of itself displaying all of the maturity of a seventh-grader. I wonder if you can understand the basic concept that this is not a private university's team we're talking about, meaning my taxpayer dollars, along with every other resident of this state, fund this football program? Maybe you enjoy paying lots of money to get a sorry product; I do not.

Your argument makes every bit as much sense as the one I challenged all pumpers to make but which you stopped short of. I wonder if you can understand that a bad coach is still a bad coach, regardless of whether he has the perfect environment to coach in or not, and that having a perfect environment with no criticism from any corner doesn't magically transform a bad coach into a good one. I never called for Jones to be fired in year one, nor did I call for such with Dooley; I felt both times that the man who had been hired was not qualified for this job, but I tried to believe in him both times. Most of the fanbase supported both coaches initially; and they still were both incompetent in spite of said support.

Maybe you should cry to your momma for not giving you a better brain, or making you study enough to where you could actually learn to make a cogent argument.

I was with you until you referred to me as crying to my mother, a statement in and of itself displaying all of the maturity of a seventh-grader. I wonder if you can understand the basic concept that this is not a private university's team we're talking about, meaning my taxpayer dollars, along with every other resident of this state, fund this football program? Maybe you enjoy paying lots of money to get a sorry product; I do not.

Your argument makes every bit as much sense as the one I challenged all pumpers to make but which you stopped short of. I wonder if you can understand that a bad coach is still a bad coach, regardless of whether he has the perfect environment to coach in or not, and that having a perfect environment with no criticism from any corner doesn't magically transform a bad coach into a good one. I never called for Jones to be fired in year one, nor did I call for such with Dooley; I felt both times that the man who had been hired was not qualified for this job, but I tried to believe in him both times. Most of the fanbase supported both coaches initially; and they still were both incompetent in spite of said support.

Maybe you should cry to your momma for not giving you a better brain, or making you study enough to where you could actually learn to make a cogent argument.

Yeah, whatever, but newsflash, not a dime of taxpayer money goes the AD. It's completely self funded. Have a nice day.

VN Store

Back