Auburn and their 3 point shooting

Jr_Vol#

Unicoi County Blue Devil 1996!
If your a NBA scout watching Auburn jacking up 35 three pointers a game how interested are you? I mean it don't take much athleticism to take three pointers and if one player shoots 10 a game and make 30% to me that's not that good. I love Coach Pearl but if I'm a high school recruit I want to play somewhere I learn more than shooting three pointers. Just my opinion and wondering what everyone else thought...
Edit: It is fun to watch them get behind and nail 3 or 4 threes in a row to get back in games as long as it's not against the good guys!

Last edited:
If your a NBA scout watching Auburn jacking up 35 three pointers a game how interested are you? I mean it don't take much athleticism to take three pointers and if one player shoots 10 a game and make 30% to me that's not that good. I love Coach Pearl but if I'm a high school recruit I want to play somewhere I learn more than shooting three pointers. Just my opinion and wondering what everyone else thought...

Consider that somewhere around 10 NBA teams shoot at or above that many 3s per game. NBA teams have picked up on the fact that an okay 3 point percentage has the same true shooting percentage as a great 2 point percentage.

2018-19 Regular Season NBA Team Stats and League Leaders - Offense Per Game - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Reactions: Jr_Vol#
They sure are effective at 3’s today.
I can see how it works seems like as soon as one player hits one the whole team gets hot and if you do that 4 or 5 times a game that generates a lot of momentum.

The three pointer has certainly evened up the better teams versus the next level teams. If they have three point shooters and can have a big day hitting the three you probably get upset. I think if we play Auburn again we try hard to take away the three make them drive it and take our chances they made 13 of 34 against us same as 59 percent shooting twos. When Turner has his 3 point shot going and the others do their usual percentage we do not lose. Turner has not recovered his shot from the injury would love to see him go off today usually if he makes the first couple he is on.

Edit: It is fun to watch them get behind and nail 3 or 4 threes in a row to get back in games as long as it's not against the good guys!

Nobody at Auburn learned how to shoot 3 pointers from Pearl. Anybody aspiring for a career in the NBA has no reason to go play for Pearl. He has nothing to teach them to make them better.

Nobody at Auburn learned how to shoot 3 pointers from Pearl. Anybody aspiring for a career in the NBA has no reason to go play for Pearl. He has nothing to teach them to make them better.

Hold up, you mean I didn't get better under Pearl?
Signed,
S. Hopson

Reactions: lynnh
Hold up, you mean I didn't get better under Pearl?
Signed,
S. Hopson
Its funny you say that. I remember early on Pearl commented on wanting to tweak Chris Loftons shot as its unorthodox. And my dad said he better not. What can you teach a kid that shoots as well as him. Now as for Hopson yeah his shot needed a major overhaul. That crazy high arcing ball he shot. He made it by on athleticism. He had a few games he got got hot. But as a whole he couldn't be counted on for a big shot. The staff should have totally developed him with his shot. But i will say going back to Lofton he had really good hands but slow of foot. Pearls staff developed him at least to be able to drive to basket and he was really good at end of being able to lay ball off glass on penetration against the trees inside. He could go right at Noah and Horford and absorb contact and get the shot. What Pearl did with Dane Bradshaw was nothing short of a miracle. Under Buzz he looked like such a waste of a scholarship and Pearl finding a niche and developing him some made him a really good SEC player. There were other examples good and bad. I dont think Bobby Maze or Ramar Smith or Melvin Goins did much better from arriving to leaving. They improved some but not more than just typical age and experience does for a player.

Auburn is red hot right now. They not only made the sweet 16, but they looked extremely good in doing it. I won't be surprised if they eliminate UNC.

Reactions: sccshortstop
I love reading all these comments. I know hindsight is 20/20 but people state these things as fact. All of a sudden Pearl is terrible because he is at Auburn. Can’t coach and they won’t win but they are in the same place as us.

Pearl and Barnes are definitely different type of coaches but they do both get results. Barnes 65.5% Pearl 72%

On another note how many coaches really get players ready for NBA. You can name 95% of the players out of high school who will get drafted. There is the occasional Morant but how many players do Duke, UNC and KY really develop for the NBA. They are already going to be drafted when they arrive at those schools.

Final note. I love Barnes and would trade him.

I love reading all these comments. I know hindsight is 20/20 but people state these things as fact. All of a sudden Pearl is terrible because he is at Auburn. Can’t coach and they won’t win but they are in the same place as us.

Pearl and Barnes are definitely different type of coaches but they do both get results. Barnes 65.5% Pearl 72%

On another note how many coaches really get players ready for NBA. You can name 95% of the players out of high school who will get drafted. There is the occasional Morant but how many players do Duke, UNC and KY really develop for the NBA. They are already going to be drafted when they arrive at those schools.

Final note. I love Barnes and would trade him.

So you'd trade him for Pearl? Someone else? Who?

My question is how are they even allowed to be in the tourney? Didn’t chuck person admit to paying for players? He’s going to prison for it

VN Store

Back