Atlanta paper on Vols v GA

Honestly I think a big thing with our competition this year is that they honestly have no idea how TN will do. Will we be the team the beat Auburn and Kentucky? Or the team that crapped out against Florida and Vandy? They don’t know.

The bad news is, neither do we.

Probably one of few...but, I think this is a very close game or we beat UGA this year...jmo
I watched all the spring games of our conference opponents earlier this year and UGA now looks just like Bama athletically. If we can hang with UGA we can hang with Bama. I think we are a year or two away, they've both got a big lead on us in recruiting and it didn't get closer last year.

Last edited:
I watched all the spring games of our opponents earlier this year and UGA now looks just like Bama athletically. If we can hang with UGA we can hang with Bama. I think we are a year or two away, they've both got a big lead on us in recruiting and it didn't get closer last year.

I agree, unfortunately. I think Georgia wins the SEC and probably the championship this year. Bama now has company within the league.

I watched all the spring games of our opponents earlier this year and UGA now looks just like Bama athletically. If we can hang with UGA we can hang with Bama. I think we are a year or two away, they've both got a big lead on us in recruiting and it didn't get closer last year.

I don’t disagree in terms of recruiting. Probably more gut than logic, but asides from the last two years this is usually a closer game than it should be...both ways really..

This years Auburn...

Reactions: Volanta
Honestly I think a big thing with our competition this year is that they honestly have no idea how TN will do. Will we be the team the beat Auburn and Kentucky? Or the team that crapped out against Florida and Vandy? They don’t know.

The bad news is, neither do we.

UT is going to be BETTER than the team that beat an average/good AU team and an average/good UK team!!! Pruitt knows what he is doing and will make all the right moves. Let's hope UT wins at least 8 games this year and gets a top 10 recruiting class. I am confident that these coaches can coach up the players and get UT into the playoffs 1 or more times every 3 years with top 10 classes every year!!!

Reactions: tbones0711
We, or I should say the university, simply held onto Jones at least one year too long. That, in itself, caused a setback. We could have a positive favor us if we can have staff continuity for the next 5 years. Both Bama and UGA had coaching turnover as Bama does every year it seems. Maybe it doesn't matter to some but I feel we're getting high-profile recruits simply because at 1st we had Pruitt as HC and now we've added Ansley. If these players show some development early on it's going to lure more high-profile recruits to UT.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
A look at the stat sheet shows why Pruitt will beat the bulldogs. The Vols ranked 108th in scoring offense last season and 122nd in total offense on their way to a 5-7 record, 2-6 in SEC games. Most of the key contributors are back, and the Vols’ top two recruits, according to the 247Sports Composite ranking were offensive tackles, Darnell Wright and Wanya Morris (Grayson High School) will dominate Georgia this year.

Shirley I do jest, and don't call me Shirley.
giphy.gif

A look at the stat sheet shows why Pruitt will beat the bulldogs. The Vols ranked 108th in scoring offense last season and 122nd in total offense on their way to a 5-7 record, 2-6 in SEC games. Most of the key contributors are back, and the Vols’ top two recruits, according to the 247Sports Composite ranking were offensive tackles, Darnell Wright and Wanya Morris (Grayson High School) will dominate Georgia this year.

Now I love my Vols, but no way FRESHMAN lineman (even 5*) are going to dominate seasoned SEC D-line of Georgia. If they can give JG 4 seconds to throw instead of the 2 seconds he got last year, that will be an improvement.

I don’t disagree in terms of recruiting. Probably more gut than logic, but asides from the last two years this is usually a closer game than it should be...both ways really..

This years Auburn...

I'm starting to see this comment a lot, and I just don't get it. Auburn was a 5 loss team last year. They lost to an unranked MSU the week before losing to us, at home. And hell, MSU had lost two or three in a row before beating Auburn. Auburn was SIGNIFICANTLY overrated last year. Surely people don't really think UGA is going to be that bad. I live in here, and would absolutely love to see it, but Im afraid it's not even close.

Now I love my Vols, but no way FRESHMAN lineman (even 5*) are going to dominate seasoned SEC D-line of Georgia. If they can give JG 4 seconds to throw instead of the 2 seconds he got last year, that will be an improvement.
Trey Smith held his own as a freshman, just saying. With that said though, I am pretty level headed and think that we will be improved but not yet UGA or 'Bama ready. However, I do think we have the potential to keep it interesting.

My one prediction for this year's team without seeing them play is that they will rise to beat a team they're not supposed to have a shot at staying on the field with in my opinion. Could that be UF, UGA, or Bama? Could be, we seem to catch all three in a favorable schedule for us this year. One or all three could arrive pretty beat up before playing us. If we get better every week, gain a little confidence, avoid the injury bug, and our opponents catch it, we'll sneak up and bite somebody we're not supposed to is my prediction.

The other part of my prediction is we'll lose one to somebody we should trash so in the cosmic scheme of things it's a wash.

Mmm...you had until the last 5 words. I've been wondering where you've been OD. I kinda miss your ludicrous pessimism

Reactions: JohnWardForever
I watched all the spring games of our conference opponents earlier this year and UGA now looks just like Bama athletically. If we can hang with UGA we can hang with Bama. I think we are a year or two away, they've both got a big lead on us in recruiting and it didn't get closer last year.

Apparently this is something Vol fans are going to have to get used to, save a miracle recruiting effort by Pruitt, unfortunately.
Go Vols

With this type of logic how could we go right.

Looking at Georgia’s 2019 opponents: Tennessee

"Tennessee’s offense never moved past mediocrity last season (22.8 points and 325.5 yards per game), so coach Jeremy Pruitt made big moves within his coaching staff. "

Not much else there. Except they seem to call out Guarantano and his receivers as potential threats.

I guess they didn’t get the memo that JG blows, can’t read defenses, terrible passer, etc that the wizards here remind us about anytime his name is brought up

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Looking at Georgia’s 2019 opponents: Tennessee

"Tennessee’s offense never moved past mediocrity last season (22.8 points and 325.5 yards per game), so coach Jeremy Pruitt made big moves within his coaching staff. "

Not much else there. Except they seem to call out Guarantano and his receivers as potential threats.

Read the "article" (more history than anything else). For me,"a whole lot said about nothing"... Hel-! we all know this history of last year. HURRY UP SEASON 2019!!!!

VN Store

Back