Atlanta Hawks/The Highlight Factory Thread

Really couldn't disagree more. Howard is a terrible signing.

Pretty sure this means Horford is gone because there's no way he, Howard, and Millsap can all start. Millsap isn't a SF and can't defend the position.

I like the move. It's not an overpay, and rebuilding is a lot harder to stomach than others are making it sound. The Wolves might be turning the corner now, but they were a joke for a decade, the Sixers have tanked so hard they can't see the light anymore, and even the Lakers can't sign a hometown player in Derozan.

I think the Hawks believe Horford was not coming back. I'm interested to see how Howard does. He can still rebound, something that's killed the Hawks.

I really like that the Hawks are spending. I'm content with playing for the second seed in the East. You're always one injury away from the finals.

They went to the ECF last year, and they probably would have gone again this year if a three-way tiebreaker hadn't put them on the same side of the bracket as the Cavs. That's not nothing for a franchise that hadn't played in the ECF even once (!) since moving to Atlanta almost 50 years ago.

If the Hawks' new ownership is as serious about paying for a winner as they claim then a max deal for Horford won't be nearly as crippling with the escalating cap as Joe Johnson's contract was. I like Bazemore but he's way more fungible. Seemingly every other team in the league wants to sign Horford for a reason.

I'm not thrilled at the idea of giving Al the full five years but the alternative is to blow it all the way up, and I hope the Hawks don't that.

Guess if you're happy with those results.

We still obviously want Al. The two rumors now about that are

1. We're fielding offers for Paul

2. We're packaging together whoever we can desperately trying to make cap room for Al. Splitter is obviously the top candidate there making over 8 mil a year. Korver/Thabo/Scott are all other options making between 3.25-4.5 or so a year.

I wouldn't be surprised at any outcome to be honest. Getting Al to resign, trading Paul, trading a group of players, or none of the above. These next 48-72 hours will be interesting

Effectively swapping Millsap for Dwight would be a loss IMO
I would tend to agree too, depending on what we get back for Millsap (assuming that happens). It really would depend on what we get out of Dwight. If we get the best possible Dwight, I think he's better than the best possible Al. However the Al that has shown up consistently every night for the past 3 or so years has been much better than whatever Dwight felt like showing up most nights.

Say we keep Sap, and get Al by trading away Korver, Thabo, and Splitter. Would our starting 5 be:

Dennis/Kent/Sap/Al/Dwight

or

Dennis/Tim Jr/Kent/Al/Dwight with Paul as the 6th man?

I tend to think we go lineup 1 (just to keep everyone happy), but we get creative mid game with subs.

Horford really needs to keep developing his 3 pt game to be a max player.

Edit: That's not true. Anybody is a max player these days. But he does need to develop his 3 pt game and scrap the long 2 game.

Last edited:
Tanking doesn't work. Therefore being in the playoffs is better than missing the playoffs. Going to the conference finals is better than losing in the first round. Etc.
It works when you get Ralph Sampson and Hakeem in back to back drafts

Farewell Al. As much as I liked you as a person, 3 years 70 mill w/ Howard is far better than 5 years 150 mill w/Horford. At least with Howard we won't get abused on the glass, and that's all I can ask for, so I'm happy.

I don't know if it's better. But I can't fault the Hawks for moving on. I think Dwight back in the East could work out. Obviously not prime Dwight, but better than the last couple of years.

Sources: Tremendous momentum for Hawks in final hours, w/ Horford returning and giving Hawks chance. In end, Hawks, Horford $6M total apart.

-Woj

Sources: Tremendous momentum for Hawks in final hours, w/ Horford returning and giving Hawks chance. In end, Hawks, Horford $6M total apart.

-Woj

At his age, it makes no sense that he wouldn't give up a little to get the 5th year the Hawks were offering.

He's got an opt out clause after year 3, he and his agent think he can get another max deal.
I figured there was an opt out in there somewhere, but I don't see how he's going to be a max guy. As the years go by, he's floating around further and further from the rim being a catch and shoot guy.

At his age, it makes no sense that he wouldn't give up a little to get the 5th year the Hawks were offering.

I don't think he wanted to be here anymore that much. Maybe it was the Howard signing; maybe he really just liked the Celtics' crowd that much more and wanted to be part of it.

No idea how Howard's going to work out here -- probably s**ttily -- but my general feeling is that losing Horford makes the Hawks worse in the short term but better down the road. Atlanta had zero chance to fix their rebounding problems as long as he was playing center.

I figured there was an opt out in there somewhere, but I don't see how he's going to be a max guy. As the years go by, he's floating around further and further from the rim being a catch and shoot guy.

Mike Conley got 150 million, I won't put anything past a NBA gm and an expanding cap.

No idea how Howard's going to work out here -- probably s**ttily -- but my general feeling is that losing Horford makes the Hawks worse in the short term but better down the road. Atlanta had zero chance to fix their rebounding problems as long as he was playing center.

I think that has become the general sentiment. Losing Horford hurts, but he's largely become a spot up shooter that more and more is getting knocked around in the paint. I don't if it's just a lack of aggression or how he was used and age catching up with a power forward that's been made to play center his whole career.

If Howard comes in and averages maybe 12/10 and protects the rim, everything will be fine. Hopefully, Howard will come home and behave if for no other reason than wanting one more contract.

I read elsewhere that despite the risks, including knowing that it would cost them either Horford or Millsap, bringing Howard in was important to the Hawks because they're hoping that if they can revitalize his career, top free agents will finally start to take the Hawks seriously. Both sides have a lot riding on it.

VN Store

Back