Atlanta Braves

I'm not sold on LaRoche..
Doug M. would be a nice addition..The Jones boys are going to have career years.
Can't afford for Chipper but in last years funk again..

LaRoche was one of the team's best hitters the last month of last year. He got hurt last May and that really messed him up. I look for him to hit 20-23 HRs and get 70 RBI on the good end of the 1st base platoon.

So what young players are on the farm that might come up and be a big hit this year? I know at one time the Braves had the best farm system for talent but I did not know if they had restocked it in a while. This team is so professional and accostomed to winning, it seems like they need a new spark to give the team a youthful outlook on winning divisional championships and the postseason. For example, last year the spark was Charles Thomas. Was that his name? I can't remember exactly, but he was traded to the A's in the offseason.

Sorry to lag on the names, I still have football heavy on the brain.

The big prospects are Ryan Langerhans who saw some time in the bigs last year in the outfield, Andy Marte (3b) and Jeff Franceour (OF). Franceour is the top prospect, but he might be another year away,.

Originally posted by OrangeCrush18@Jan 14, 2005 1:31 PM
:( Raul Mondesi? :flush: :dunno: He has been known to be a clubhouse cancer. Our outfield went from great to poor really fast! I hope they get a quality LF, I don't think a minor leaguer will do.

But I must stick with my motto .......in Schuerholtz I trust!! :cross:

ryan klesko may be the answer here

Does Marte play any other position than 3rd? I don't see Chipper moving again and don't see him leaving the Braves either. How soon will this kid be ready?

Marte has always been a 3rd baseman, but I think he's probably athletic enough to get a look in the outfield. Chipper is going to be the 3rd baseman until he either leaves or retires.

Supposedly Marte is ready now.

After thinking about it, the Braves probably had Marte try to learn other positions if he were able. I mean especailly now with Chipper planted at 3B again. At least if I were Marte, I think I would be trying to learn another spot. I think the Braves found that to keep Chipper healthy is to keep him in the IF.

I'm looking at it long term. Chipper will more than likely retire as a Brave and his body can't handle OF every day. That leaves you 2 options. 1.)Leave Chipper at 3rd and put Marte in the OF or 2.) Put Chipper on 1st and put Marte on 3rd. If LaRoche keeps improving with the bat then you would like to keep him there so I think CJ will be at 3rd for the next couple of years anyway. This is what I forsee the line-up being in a couple of years:
SS Furcal
2B Giles
3B C. Jones
LF Marte
CF A. Jones
C Estrada
1B LaRoche
RF Francouer

That will be a pretty good lineup IMO. :good:

I think Andruw will be toast unless he puts up monster numbers this year. Just don't think the Braves will be willing to pay superstar money for a 6th place hitter.

Add to that an impatient 6th spot hitter. For all of his glory in the OF, you would think A.Jones would be able to develop better hitting. I think that will keep him from earning the respect he deserves for his skills in the field.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jan 7, 2005 10:36 PM
Chipper Jones is SO cute!!

:good:

You have not ever talked to him, you might change your mind....here is a guy that states affirming his idiocy in the following quote.."It is a good thing I learned to play baseball, otherwise I think I would have been a pro fisherman"....great aspirations of himself don't you think?

Yeah, I met Chipper several times when he was playing A ball in Macon. He's a really nice guy, but he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Kind of switching gears here, but was there a change in the announcers booth this past offseason? Am I correct? Does anyone know the groupings now for the Braves telecast on TBS & Turner? Compared to other teams, the Braves are one of the more entertaining. The guys that broadcast the White Sox are the absolute worst. I had rather listen to paint dry.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jan 31, 2005 2:31 PM
Yeah, I met Chipper several times when he was playing A ball in Macon. He's a really nice guy, but he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Seems like Leo Mazzone is the brains of that operation. It has been tough watching AOL cut the starpower.

Originally posted by Jefw@Jan 31, 2005 4:26 PM
Kind of switching gears here, but was there a change in the announcers booth this past offseason? Am I correct?

For some reason, I think I remember hearing that Don Sutton was not going to be back this year.

Hard to believe that Pitchers and Catchers report in just 2 weeks?!?!

March headline....

Beginning in 2005, Clear Channel Radio will become the exclusive radio partner of the Atlanta Braves. The announcement was made on Tuesday morning at Turner Field.
"This deal brings a huge strategic partner to our franchise and, just as importantly, will allow our fans to touch the Braves on a wider level throughout the Braves Radio Network," Braves chairman and president Terry McGuirk said. "We look forward to our new partnership with Clear Channel and the many levels of benefits it brings."

The five-year agreement with Clear Channel will end a long relationship with WSB-AM 750, which has served as the Braves' flagship station for 35 of the 39 years the team has been in Atlanta.

WSB will continue to carry all regular season and playoff games this year.

In the Atlanta area, fans will be able to listen to games on 640 AM WGST and 96.1 WKLS (96 Rock). Those fans in outlying areas will be able to listen to many of the same stations they have when WSB has served as the flagship station.

"There are a significant number of current affiliates that will also be Clear Channel affiliates," Braves vice president of communications Greg Hughes said.

Pete Van Wieren, Skip Caray, Don Sutton and Joe Simpson are all Braves employees. Thus, their roles as the Braves announcers will not be affected by this switch.

then this in early Oct...

Chip Caray in...apparently Don Sutton out...Simpson, Skip and Pete are signed, Don isn't. Rumoured to be going to Dodgers.

VN Store

Back