AT&T/Disney carriage dispute

gordonr24

Vol in West TN
It seems like AT&T is involved with a lot of disputes lately. The carriage agreement between AT&T and Disney is set to expire this month, and I don’t know the exact date. But they’re (ESPN) running ads nonstop. U-Verse and DirecTV would both be affected.

I’d imagine an agreement would be reached. AT&T blacking out the ESPN family of networks would be catastrophic.

The rumored deadline is Friday. If no deal is reached, all DirecTV and AT&T U-verse customers will not have ESPN.

That would include the SEC network. There is no way they black those out.

That would include the SEC network. There is no way they black those out.

I’m almost expecting the blackout. AT&T has been playing hardball with everybody this year. I’ve already made preparations to use a friend’s Cox cable account to stream the espn networks tomorrow.

Edit: The deadline is tonight.

Last edited:
Im with directv and we were without ABC only for about 3 months, and then it came back on 2 days before the start of football season.

I thought that it was settled.

Im with directv and we were without ABC only for about 3 months, and then it came back on 2 days before the start of football season.

I thought that it was settled.

AT&T had a feud with Nexstar, which owns over 150 local affiliates in different markets. ABC won’t be affected, if there’s a blackout with Disney, except for 8 markets. Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville won’t have ABC blacked out, just ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and the SECN.

The deadline is tonight. I’d probably start making preparations. I have U-Verse but I already have streaming options in place, if the blackout happens.

If you have to go down to Fieldhouse Social. Great atmosphere and I love the huge TV.

AT&T had a feud with Nexstar, which owns over 150 local affiliates in different markets. ABC won’t be affected, if there’s a blackout with Disney, except for 8 markets. Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville won’t have ABC blacked out, just ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and the SECN.

The deadline is tonight. I’d probably start making preparations. I have U-Verse but I already have streaming options in place, if the blackout happens.

Well im in Bartlett, so I guess I can still watch the ABC night game.

There really ought to be a contractual out for customers due to breach of contract on ATT directvs part.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Well im in Bartlett, so I guess I can still watch the ABC night game.

There really ought to be a contractual out for customers due to breach of contract on ATT directvs part.

I agree. They don't give you a bill reduction for the time you are without a channel.....

You are close by. I'm out in Lakeland...

Reactions: Doberman
Not sure missing a TN game on tv is considered bad at this time..more like mercy

This type of thing seems to happen every 2-3 years. So don't have this mess with local channels.

I'd guess Disney thinks they've got some leverage with this happening at the start of football season and thinks ATT will cave. I'm sure ATT will get bombed with calls/threats of cancellation if Direct Tv/U-Verse subscribers can't watch their college/NFL this weekend.

After looking around the internet on this subject I'm wondering if they never reach an agreement. Disney wants to make their streaming service attractive and ATT keeps losing tv customers. Hope I'm wrong but ATT might just say screw em. Whatever happens I'm not signing up for Disney streaming.

Last edited:
I don't care how bad the Vols are if AT&T stops me from seeing football games I'm going off.

AT&T/DirectTV, Comcast, Charter, Dish, and whoever, all pay a fee per subscriber to every channel broadcaster that they air, Sports networks, showtime, ETC. Currently, ESPN charges $7.21 per subscriber for their channels. So out of our cable bill that we pay every month, $7.21 of it is paid to ESPN by the subscriber that you get your service from. ESPN fees are about 54% higher than any other network, Which is where the money to pay NFL tv rights, SEC and other leagues money comes from. So either ESPN is wanting more or AT&T/Direct TV wants to pay less. With all the streaming going on and less of us subscribing thru traditional cable services, I think ESPN has been losing money and wants a bigger cut.

VN Store

Back