Assuming Freeze and Malzahn are off the table.....

I honestly think he will do better somewhere other than UM due to all the pressure of being an Alumni/former player. I know TN is in the mighty SEC, but I don't believe the personal pressure he feels would be as great compared to UM.

do not want Harbaugh, the trend seems to be that his players can only take his crap for so long. Year 3 to 4 seems to be where his teams go downhill

Once again, we should not fire Pruitt without having someone already agreed in principle. Our program can’t deal with another long coaching search. Why in the world does anyone think that a coaching search would go well?

Heard there’s already a Freeze warning been issued for the greater Knoxville area

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
What we're seeing in this thread is that after Freeze and Malzahn there's a huge drop off.

Matt Campbell, while an excellent coach, has no ties to the southeast and that could be a problem on the recruiting trail. The next hire must recruit well to compete.

Luke Fickell, same thing. He's a Big Ten country guy. There are exceptions to the rule that aliens don't recruit the south well (Saban, Kiffin) but more times than not it's better to have a guy with southern ties (Smart, Ed O, Malzahn, Freeze, Fisher)

Tom Allen, I don't think he'd take it. He seems like a guy content being settled into a quaint little situation, but a good situation ala Chris Petersen and Gary Pattersen. He's from Indiana. I think he stays there.

Chadwell, Napier, and other up-and-comers... Sure, there's potential. Chadwell may be the next Urban Meyer, who knows, and he's from East Tennessee so that's intriguing but I need to see him do it with another quarterback to prove that he didn't just catch lightning in a bottle in 2020. He regressed at Charleston Southern - I'm not really holding that against him because people get better and that was 4 years ago but I do think he's got more to prove before getting a major P5 job. Napier also needs to show that he can do it with another QB, but I do like that he and Chadwell both played QB in college and have coaching QBs in their background.

What we're seeing in this thread is that after Freeze and Malzahn there's a huge drop off.

Matt Campbell, while an excellent coach, has no ties to the southeast and that could be a problem on the recruiting trail. The next hire must recruit well to compete.

Luke Fickell, same thing. He's a Big Ten country guy. There are exceptions to the rule that aliens don't recruit the south well (Saban, Kiffin) but more times than not it's better to have a guy with southern ties (Smart, Ed O, Malzahn, Freeze, Fisher)

Tom Allen, I don't think he'd take it. He seems like a guy content being settled into a quaint little situation, but a good situation ala Chris Petersen and Gary Pattersen. He's from Indiana. I think he stays there.

Chadwell, Napier, and other up-and-comers... Sure, there's potential. Chadwell may be the next Urban Meyer, who knows, and he's from East Tennessee so that's intriguing but I need to see him do it with another quarterback to prove that he didn't just catch lightning in a bottle in 2020. He regressed at Charleston Southern - I'm not really holding that against him because people get better and that was 4 years ago but I do think he's got more to prove before getting a major P5 job. Napier also needs to show that he can do it with another QB, but I do like that he and Chadwell both played QB in college and have coaching QBs in their background.
It would be nice to have a former QB on staff that can coach well. And yes, I mean both fromer QBs on our staff. I called for Weinke's firing a long time ago, and Tee has shown me zero.

Reactions: bpalmer28
It would be nice to have a former QB on staff that can coach well. And yes, I mean both fromer QBs on our staff. I called for Weinke's firing a long time ago, and Tee has shown me zero.
Seems like both would be an OC somewhere by now if they were very good coaches. They had a head start in the coaching profession because of their names and haven't done much with it.

Reactions: SpookyAction

Any of those coaches could supplement their recruiting of the South with the right assistants, and being winning coaches, coaching at an SEC school rather than their current schools, doesn't hurt either on the recruiting trail.

I don’t think JP is going anywhere...don’t forget we were told by PF from the start it was going to be a 4 or 5 year build...

If you hired someone to build you a house and they told you it would take five months, would you still take their word for it if your lot was still nothing but a mud hole three months in?

Reactions: guevara
I don’t think we’d ever hire kiffin back but it would be funny to steal him from ol miss after 1 year like he left us after 1

Who else would be acceptable and an upgrade over Jeremy?
Matt Campbell. Has ISU in big 12 champ game for first time ever. He should be available, and no scandals that I know of to raise doubts in minds of AD or boosters

Until Fulmer and the Haslam booster elite is gone......all top coaches will avoid UT.

Take the 2017 search. UT had a sizable bank account, great stadium, facilities, some top classes and more. And Currie couldn't find a single coach willing to give UT more than a minute's thought over. Why? Because they know what they'd be in for. Nonstop Fulmer meddling and Haslam/booster elite shot calling.

Until they're gone, no sensible coach will go to UT. Only gullible ones.

I think a Bill O’Brien, someone who knows the college game with NFL experience would be an awesome hire. I also think someone like Bill Cower would be something to the equivalent of a Herm Edwards. A master recruiter with exceptional coordinators. I mean why not pay Peyton a similar contract to Jimbo fisher at this point. Do something interesting. Whatever it takes.

Dude, quit sending out the negative waves.....2021 is going to be 💯 percent a FREEZE FRAME

Attachments

• D21490A9-9EB2-464A-AC1D-93250A7D618B.gif
    D21490A9-9EB2-464A-AC1D-93250A7D618B.gif
    5 MB · Views: 4
I think a Bill O’Brien, someone who knows the college game with NFL experience would be an awesome hire. I also think someone like Bill Cower would be something to the equivalent of a Herm Edwards. A master recruiter with exceptional coordinators. I mean why not pay Peyton a similar contract to Jimbo fisher at this point. Do something interesting. Whatever it takes.
There is nothing wrong with your ideas here. But the college game evolves faster than the NFL and the great football minds are actually at the college level at present.
All I know is it will take an exceptional coach to deliver in Knoxville. There are a few of those around, very few. We would have to buy their love, and UT is a high risk low reward job up to this point for coaches in the top tier. Two mid tier coaches have gotten rich from stints here, but I mean the real deal. We don't pay top tier, or never have yet.
BTW, Bill Cowher is one of the great coaches of this century, but I think he is done. And he turned us down when we were a better program.
And Peyton could do it, but he is a brand now, not a coach. I doubt Jimbo money would even tempt him.

MaTaLa,sense and sensabilities would be the ones to go to "Ye olde Steakhouse"and order a salad only.

VN Store

Back