As Vols fans we really could have used the win yesterday

volbound1700

As a program, we have just been struggling with disappointment for a long time.

It hasn't helped that this postseason has been exceptional rough on Vols fans in nearly every sport.

I feel like the athletic program is going in the right direction and perhaps this is the reason we are being let down.

The elephant in the room is football. We have struggled for so long in that sport and it has just cast a shadow over our athletic program. During the SEC discussions about Oklahoma/Texas, it seems like we were second fiddle versus programs like Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, and LSU who have had more success for the SEC than we have had as a program.

Our name was once in the Elite. Perhaps Danny White and these excellent coaches we have will get us back to prominence.

Great Job to Vols Baseball team. Rough way to go out and unfortunately the wound reminds me a lot of the Michigan loss in Basketball but let's try to learn and move forward next year. I feel like our breakthrough years in Baseball and Basketball are going to come in seasons where we are very low seed, low attention.

I would love to know if there is another school out there that loses as much in national tournament settings as the higher seed than Tennessee. I can’t imagine there is.

There are probably others out there but it is definitely what separates the ELITE from the Non-Elite.

Baseball we will be fine. We made the CWS just last year.

Basketball is still frustrating because you would think that at least one year we could break through and make a Final Four. Even low-tier programs have been able to do what we haven't been able to do.

There are probably others out there but it is definitely what separates the ELITE from the Non-Elite.

Basketball is still frustrating because you would think that at least one year we could break through and make a Final Four. Even low-tier programs have been able to do what we haven't been able to do.
He doesn't have the nickname Regular Season Rick for nothing. In fact, an annoying Texas alum that is also an acquaintance warned me about RSR when we hired him. MAN I hate that he's right. So annoying.

He doesn't have the nickname Regular Season Rick for nothing. In fact, an annoying Texas alum that is also an acquaintance warned me about RSR when we hired him. MAN I hate that he's right. So annoying.

I am not ready to throw in towel yet. Honestly, Rick's teams seem to always fall one win (literally one win) short of expectations. Advance one more game in 2022, 2021, 2019, and 2018 and we live up to expectations.

With the exception of 2019, I really don't think we have had a Final Four Caliber team with Rick Barnes. That is hard to get.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
I would be ok to keep Rick indefinitely. I have never really thought of the Vols as a perennial basketball powerhouse and he has us as close as we have ever been. I will take that. It's better than the alternative, sans the Bruce years.

FTR, I told the Texas alum the exact same thing when he told me about the nickname.

Baseball is in fantastic shape, but when it comes tournament time again next year don’t tell me TN‘s history of losing to lower seeds won’t be something that’ll make you nervous.

23 other teams fanbases that feel exactly like we do today.

#1 hasn't won the CWS since 99.

It's baseball. It happens. No natty sucks be we were the best team college has seen in decades.

College baseball is all over tv and media. Largely because of us and CTV.

Go Vols.

This was the first time Vols ever lost a super regional.
This was the first time the Vols even lost a Super Regional GAME. Two of those series were on the road (meaning we were the lower seed). Baseball Vols have largely been the exception to the underachieving history when they are good enough to make the tourney!

23 other teams fanbases that feel exactly like we do today.

#1 hasn't won the CWS since 99.

It's baseball. It happens. No natty sucks be we were the best team college has seen in decades.

College baseball is all over tv and media. Largely because of us and CTV.

Go Vols.

Sort of off topic, but the #1 curse really became a thing after that .188 Michigan hitter hit the walk-off against David Price (weeks before he was drafted #1 by the Rays) when Vandy was the #1 team (and it wasn't close, similar to Tennessee this year).

Last edited:
Reactions: volsagain
We’re UT. We’re born to fail. But at least basketball and baseball have great regular season. Better than nothing, I guess.

Hopefully baseball will be like recent UGA football and the Vols will knock at the door often enough that they eventually break through. Though with this being TN, I won’t count my chickens before they hatch.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
As a program, we have just been struggling with disappointment for a long time.

It hasn't helped that this postseason has been exceptional rough on Vols fans in nearly every sport.

I feel like the athletic program is going in the right direction and perhaps this is the reason we are being let down.

The elephant in the room is football. We have struggled for so long in that sport and it has just cast a shadow over our athletic program. During the SEC discussions about Oklahoma/Texas, it seems like we were second fiddle versus programs like Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, and LSU who have had more success for the SEC than we have had as a program.

Our name was once in the Elite. Perhaps Danny White and these excellent coaches we have will get us back to prominence.

Great Job to Vols Baseball team. Rough way to go out and unfortunately the wound reminds me a lot of the Michigan loss in Basketball but let's try to learn and move forward next year. I feel like our breakthrough years in Baseball and Basketball are going to come in seasons where we are very low seed, low attention.

Tennessee is going to have to win these clutch type of games. For some reason, yesterday's ND loss hurt more than the Michigan BB and Purdue football losses rolled up into one.

I have noticed all of our current big three men's teams tend to get a lot tighter and less looser in our most important games.

Maybe it's because they were all too young at the time? I do believe missing our best CB caused the Purdue loss....and the refs ofcourse didn't help us any.

But maybe in general it's because not enough experience or team leaders on these squads.

I'm not sure, but it hurts. Our football team should be pretty damn good this year. I really want to see them playing loose in our biggest games. The Florida game will tell us everything we need to know as usual. On paper, we should be able to run the score up on them but that is always a "special" game for us it seems.

As a Tennessee fan, I often feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

It isn't known as Cup Check U for nothing.

But, despite the heartache, we will all be back when we start another run, confident that THIS time, Lucy won't move the football. She didn't in 1998. Perhaps she will have mercy again.......

As a Tennessee fan, I often feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

It isn't known as Cup Check U for nothing.

But, despite the heartache, we will all be back when we start another run, confident that THIS time, Lucy won't move the football. She didn't in 1998. Perhaps she will have mercy again.......
She sure as hell tried though.. how many lucky bounces did ‘98 require?

VN Store

Back