As The Butch Turns (Tim Banks)

You mean like the only proven P5 coach that was available and had beaten Saban in the past few years was passed over for a coach that followed his AD that we brought the brinks truck for yet he hires 1/2 his staff from UCF now to be replaced with proven SEC coaches??? Yep Go Vols!!! For the record I’m not saying CJH isn’t an upgrade and I hope we kick ass the next decade with him but damn this admin and booster group could destroy the hope and dreams of Santa’s elves I swear they could

Gus went to a mid major for a reason.

Good hire?

In 2012, Banks' defense at Illinois gave up 50+ points 3 times. One of those teams was La Tech. He was the primary play caller. Gave up an average of 197 yards rushing, 193 passing per game

2013, Banks' defense gave up more than 50 points twice and 60 points once. The least amount of points his defense allowed was 14. Gave up an 238 yards rushing, 247 yards passing per game

2014, his defense gave up 50+ once, more than 30 points 9 times. Gave up an average of 239 rushing, 217 passing per game

2015, they brought in Mike Phair and demoted Banks to Co-DC. The defense only gave up 40 points one time and more than 30 twice. Gave up an average of 166 yards rushing, 183 yards passing per game

2016, he was fired along with the rest of the football staff

These numbers are terrible, even for the Big 10
Yep coarch Huepel we going to have to score a minimum of 60 pts a game to be successful. Throw a slant and hopefully able to defend a slant.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Good hire?

In 2012, Banks' defense at Illinois gave up 50+ points 3 times. One of those teams was La Tech. He was the primary play caller. Gave up an average of 197 yards rushing, 193 passing per game

2013, Banks' defense gave up more than 50 points twice and 60 points once. The least amount of points his defense allowed was 14. Gave up an average 238 yards rushing, 247 yards passing per game

2014, his defense gave up 50+ once, more than 30 points 9 times. Gave up an average of 239 rushing, 217 passing per game

2015, they brought in Mike Phair and demoted Banks to Co-DC. The defense only gave up 40 points one time and more than 30 twice. Gave up an average of 166 yards rushing, 183 yards passing per game

2016, he was fired along with the rest of the football staff

These numbers are terrible, even for the Big 10

Those numbers do look scary and especially against much weaker competition. Hopefully he is much improved since those days and also having proven SEC veterans like Gardner on staff (and maybe Steele in some capacity) should help.

Good hire. But help me understand the irony...

Banks was Butch's DC at Central Michigan;
Banks was Butch's co DC at Cincinnati where he was a finalist for the Broyles award as the top assistant;
Butch comes to Tennessee and swears to hire the greatest staff ever, but doesn't bring this guy. He hires Jancek instead;
Jancek has his alleged co-ed issues and gets fired, so Butch goes to Penn State and hires Bob Shoop;
Penn State then hires this guy, who Butch left behind, to be the new DC there;
Butch and Shoop are fired at UT the next season...
And now, two coaches later, after allegedly interviewing Jancek, we're hiring this guy from Penn State. Holy cow.

Well, there's been a lot of water under the bridge, but maybe this guy shows up here with a chip on his shoulder to prove that he should have been included in the greatest staff in America at UT several years ago.
I am going to address what I think must be part of your premise.

Relative to other HC's... how much trust do you put in Jones' knowledge of the game? How much faith do you have in his ability to evaluate candidates and hire a staff of highly skilled coaches that mesh together? How much faith do you have in his ability to manage a staff of coaches?

I would give him very low marks on all counts. Banks may or may not be a good DC. I'm not worried too much about his association with Jones.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
You mean like the only proven P5 coach that was available and had beaten Saban in the past few years was passed over for a coach that followed his AD that we brought the brinks truck for yet he hires 1/2 his staff from UCF now to be replaced with proven SEC coaches??? Yep Go Vols!!! For the record I’m not saying CJH isn’t an upgrade and I hope we kick ass the next decade with him but damn this admin and booster group could destroy the hope and dreams of Santa’s elves I swear they could
we were not going to hire a coach who used his company phone to line up hookers

Come on man. Be serious. We've got the NCAA crawling us like bugs on our head. We gotta shave our hair and get back on the monkey bars man. We would all like Hugh Freeze, but it just couldn't happen. Donde said she wanted folks with integrity. Why not give that a shot for once? Change can be good.

My fear is a return to the Dooley years. Score 40 points a game, but defense gives up 50.

games might have been more fun to watch than the paint drying nonsense of the last few years, but I’m nostalgic for the years we won at least twice as many games as we lost.

Anyone other than me get a feeling that with the other Defensive coaches hired, Banks is basically a Defensive Manger rather than coordinator?
Meaning every one knows their roles and positions and on game day the scheme basically runs itself with Banks just managing the respective assistants and their substitutions...

I don't know anything about the skills of any of these coaches,just what I have read and watched on video.Banks looks good on paper and film.My point in writing is the same it's always been.Recruiting is the name of the game.Don't bust on players and the better your players the better the coach.He has signed some good players in the past,I see no reason he would quit now.I look forward to what lies ahead! Go Vols!!

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Pretty obvious, Tennessee could not get anybody name-wise.
Current players going through spring ball - will tell if they buy
into him when practices end. Transfer portal will either light up
or it won't. That UT press release was loaded with spin factor.

I think banks being at central Michigan had more to do with him playing there than wanting to work with Butch. Maybe he just started to prove his mettle and that’s why Butch asked him to come aboard at his next stop
They coached together at Ferris State in 1997.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Anyone other than me get a feeling that with the other Defensive coaches hired, Banks is basically a Defensive Manger rather than coordinator?
Meaning every one knows their roles and positions and on game day the scheme basically runs itself with Banks just managing the respective assistants and their substitutions...

I'm in favor of any system or plan wherein there appears to be actual managing going on...

Reactions: IndianaVol
Good hire. But help me understand the irony...

Banks was Butch's DC at Central Michigan;
Banks was Butch's co DC at Cincinnati where he was a finalist for the Broyles award as the top assistant;
Butch comes to Tennessee and swears to hire the greatest staff ever, but doesn't bring this guy. He hires Jancek instead;
Jancek has his alleged co-ed issues and gets fired, so Butch goes to Penn State and hires Bob Shoop;
Penn State then hires this guy, who Butch left behind, to be the new DC there;
Butch and Shoop are fired at UT the next season...
And now, two coaches later, after allegedly interviewing Jancek, we're hiring this guy from Penn State. Holy cow.

Well, there's been a lot of water under the bridge, but maybe this guy shows up here with a chip on his shoulder to prove that he should have been included in the greatest staff in America at UT several years ago.
Butch had Shoops hands tied,

Come on man. Be serious. We've got the NCAA crawling us like bugs on our head. We gotta shave our hair and get back on the monkey bars man. We would all like Hugh Freeze, but it just couldn't happen. Donde said she wanted folks with integrity. Why not give that a shot for once? Change can be good.

I was referring to Gus....

VN Store

Back