Article on players who should have won the Heisman

The biggest rip off in my 20 years of watching college football is Ndamakung Suh. He was by far the best player in college football that year and Ingram won because Alabama never had a winner and they were #1. If not Suh it should have been McCoy then.

Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald was also a scam

Bama would have had some, but Bryant didn't believe in individual awards and would not allow any bammer players to be promoted. Much as I can't stand him or bammer, I do respect that about him.

Bear had great players during the 60s that were more than Heisman worthy if the northern sportwriters werent so biased towards southern teams and players. Pat Trammell, Joe Namath, Steve Sloan and Ken Stabler were all great players. The 70s Bear used depth to wear teams down but rarely had stars in the backfield. Ozzie Newsome may have been the best offensive skill guy during his 70s run and he didnt catch that many passes out of the wishbone. The 70s Bama teams dominated on the LOS and by great defenses. Wishbone just wore teams down. I recall several games during the 70s that Tennessee was even or maybe ahead going into the 4th qtr and the Tide just worn them down.

Reactions: Remy
I was 4 years old at this time but I would actually love to see proof of thus because I’m calling BS lol

I don't know about his specific claim about the 'living in the hood' story, but ESPN aggressively pushed Woodson's Heisman campaign because they televised the Rose Bowl that year (ABC), while Tennessee played in the Orange Bowl on CBS. ESPN had way more power of sports opinion back then than they do now. It was non-stop Woodson propaganda for weeks just so they could make more $$$.

And then of course, throw that campaign on top of the media's long-standing Big 10 / Midwestern bias (which is nowhere near as bad as it used to be) and you get Woodson over Manning.

It’d be more logical than Woodson. Also I’ve never understood why defensive players get neglected in this award.

Wilson was the heart of that undefeated team. No doubt.

But so was Woodson the year before and he legit affected ALL 3 PHASES of the game.

And if we're being really honest...
Manning and Woodson weren't the most dominant players that year before.
That honor goes to Marshall WR Randy Moss👍.

And to think he ALMOST played with Peyton at UT☹.

Moss
Price
Kent
Nash ....

It’d be more logical than Woodson. Also I’ve never understood why defensive players get neglected in this award.

I agree defensive players have deserved it in the past. Part of the problem is the writers are often lazy and/or ignorant and just look at stats.

Offensive players have measurable stat lines, yards rushing, passing, TDs. Unfortunately many great defensive players don't. Team's don't throw against Deion or run at Reggie so they don't get the stats. They are still great and should be in the running but is is easier to defend picking a stat line and vote to it.

Reactions: lukeneyland
Bear had great players during the 60s that were more than Heisman worthy if the northern sportwriters werent so biased towards southern teams and players. Pat Trammell, Joe Namath, Steve Sloan and Ken Stabler were all great players. The 70s Bear used depth to wear teams down but rarely had stars in the backfield. Ozzie Newsome may have been the best offensive skill guy during his 70s run and he didnt catch that many passes out of the wishbone. The 70s Bama teams dominated on the LOS and by great defenses. Wishbone just wore teams down. I recall several games during the 70s that Tennessee was even or maybe ahead going into the 4th qtr and the Tide just worn them down.

How Did Bear's Italian Stallion, Johnny Musso, NOT win the Heisman?

I love how the article completely ignores ESPN's role in not only creating but driving the Charles Woodson Heisman campaign in 1997. I love how they write that Woodson won because of "a perspective shift of the late 1990s." A far more honest assessment would be that 1997 was the first real demonstration of ESPN's growing control of college football. They anointed Woodson the Heisman winner practically every weekend that season.

Whoever wrote that ridiculous "click through" article is either clueless or they're intentionally choosing not to acknowledge the fact ESPN churned out a season-long advertisement for Woodson.
Woodson wasn’t even the best DB. Champ Bailey was better.

Reactions: igotworms and Remy
I love how the article completely ignores ESPN's role in not only creating but driving the Charles Woodson Heisman campaign in 1997. I love how they write that Woodson won because of "a perspective shift of the late 1990s." A far more honest assessment would be that 1997 was the first real demonstration of ESPN's growing control of college football. They anointed Woodson the Heisman winner practically every weekend that season.

Whoever wrote that ridiculous "click through" article is either clueless or they're intentionally choosing not to acknowledge the fact ESPN churned out a season-long advertisement for Woodson.
Yeah ESPN definitely played a major role in Woodson winning the Heisman over Peyton. Still pisses me off. Also everytime I see Chris Fowler for the " Tennessee fans are trailer trash remark".

My favorite BS late in season was when ESPN talking heads said Woodson should win it because he grew up in hood and Peyton came from great rich family
I was 4 years old at this time but I would actually love to see proof of thus because I’m calling BS lol
Luckily for you, Stuart Scott was before your time then.

I don't know if it was said verbatim as @Rickyvol77 described, but I remember Stuart Scott saying something really stupid (actually about everything S. Scott said was stupid) along those lines.

Reactions: igotworms
I don't know about his specific claim about the 'living in the hood' story, but ESPN aggressively pushed Woodson's Heisman campaign because they televised the Rose Bowl that year (ABC), while Tennessee played in the Orange Bowl on CBS. ESPN had way more power of sports opinion back then than they do now. It was non-stop Woodson propaganda for weeks just so they could make more $$$.

And then of course, throw that campaign on top of the media's long-standing Big 10 / Midwestern bias (which is nowhere near as bad as it used to be) and you get Woodson over Manning.
I think that year was the 1st year ESPN televised the Heisman Award Show, which was also previously on CBS. ESPN tried to hype their coverage by making Woodson sound good. A lot of writers felt Peyton was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and loved sticking it to him and his family by voting for Woodson. At least that's the way I remember it. I've never watched the Heisman Awards since.

Reactions: Remy and Rickyvol77

At one point ESPN pushed the narrative of his offensive impact so much they were giving the stat "first downs recorded" which was something like 7 or 8 on the season. Woodson was a great player but an absolutely unworthy Heisman candidate. His impact was minimal in comparison to a quarterback. Early on ESPN was pushing the Penn State running back who was a bust that season and maybe even got hurt. Then they switched to Woodson. There was basically no way Woodson could have a bad game. If he didn't have any interceptions they would claim whatever 3 yard and a cloud of dust Big 10 team they were playing that week was afraid to throw it his way. If he had 12 yards receiving they would claim he was having an unprecedented offensive impact. In 12 games Woodson had about 200 yards receiving. The next season Champ Bailey was his equal as a defensive back, and had almost 800 yards receiving, he scored more touchdowns than Woodson, he had more return yards than Woodson, he did everything better than Woodson. He finished something like 7th in the Heisman voting.

In 1996 Danny Wuerffel had 3600 yards, 39 tds and 13 interceptions. Florida was 11-1, Wuerffel had just taken 6 sacks and thrown 3 interceptions vs Florida State in a loss as the Heisman voting took place. He won the Heisman handily after the Gators won the SEC title.

In 1997 Manning threw for 3800+ yards, 36 tds, 11 interceptions, Tennessee was 11-1 and SEC Champions when Heisman voting took place. Woodson won after 10 weeks of unrelenting hype even though Manning had a slightly better season that the prior years winner at the same position.

The Johnny Majors shafting was nearly as egregious. Majors had over 1100 total yards for what actually should have been the national champion over Oklahoma. Oklahoma played 0 tanked teams all season and chose not to even play in a bowl because bowl games had no meaning and the national championship was crowned before they took place. After Majors led Tennessee to a win over #2 ranked Georgia Tech they jumped to #1. The next week Tennessee beat a top 20 Ole Miss team 27-7, while Oklahoma beat a Missouri team that won 4 games that year and Oklahoma jumped back to #1. Voters did everything they could at the time to not vote for teams from the Southeast for anything. Thus Paul Hornung won the Heisman on a team that had lost 7 of it's final 8 games, and finished 80th in the nation in scoring offense.

1951 was actually as bad or worse than the two above. Hank Lauricella was 10-0, SEC and National Champion, had 300 more yards and 3 more touchdowns than Dick Kazmaier who played nobody with a pulse that season at Princeton. He was the last Ivy League player to ever win a Heisman. It had been 14 years since anyone from an Ivy had won it at the time as most people acknowledged that great football was leaving them behind. They only had one team ever again who would finish in the final AP poll after 1951.

So 3 of Tennessee's 4 second place finishes involved something unusual and historic happening in each event. Last Ivy player, only player with a losing record and only defensive player.

How Did Bear's Italian Stallion, Johnny Musso, NOT win the Heisman?

Sullivan won that year, barely, over Ed Marinario of Colgate. Yes Ivy League. If you ever need proof of Northern voter bias then, that is a perfect example.

And they still do! Bama is their biggest customer!

VN Store

Back