Article about Barnes

Don't see it as hate. More frustration. And it is on him when his players don't perform. He recruited them. He's coached them. He plays them. If they don't perform, he's ultimately responsible especially if they don't get replaced for "not performing". As they say, the buck stops with the man in charge especially if he's making almost $6m.
Frustration, I can agree with. And the buck stops there to an extent. He can put kids in the right place, teach the kids what plays to run. But if they aren’t making the shots, they aren’t making the shots. And if a freshman hesitates or makes a mistake he sits them. IE, Chandler last year and Phillips This year. So hypothetical, Uros plays rough but stinks at free throws,who next Aidoo? Can’t shoot free throws well either, ON? Not enough meat to handle big men, Awaka? No offensive threat at all.

Reactions: Pennheel
wow brutal. And check out the different ways they phrased it in posting their article:

article headline: It's Rick Barnes and it's March. What more needs to be said?
the title tag on browser window: Rick Barnes not the coach you want on the bench come tournament time
the url: Rick Barnes-Tennessee-flames-out-again-March-Madness

This is brilliant. We also should have kept Butch Jones.

Blue font aside, please explain what mysterious law of the universe prohibits us from hiring a better coach than Barnes? Because there are several of them out there. And most of them make a fraction of what he makes.
Who are they?

Tennessee's team this year is full of good players and good kids that represent the school well, however, Barnes needs to end the foreign player development projects and focus on signing and developing the talented and skilled players from the AAU summer leagues that have played the US game nonstop for the better part of six or seven years straight preserving the good kid, teachable kid demographic if possible, but kids that want to win and play hard for Tennessee.
Why? Some of our best players have been international.

wow brutal. And check out the different ways they phrased it in posting their article:

the title tag on browser window: Rick Barnes not the coach you want on the bench come tournament time
USA Today's journalism is circling the bowl.

Last week was one of the best wins in Tennessee history, but Rick Barnes is still who history says he is.
FYP. Barnes isn't a bum, but he is who he is. We were in a bind at UT when the end came for Rick Barnes at Texas. We kinda fell into each other. Call it a marriage of convenience and let's be honest. Barnes was never committed to UT as evidenced by his flirtations and comments about the UCLA job. The similarities between our program in 2023 and Texas of 2015 are disturbingly similar. Only difference now is that Barnes is in Knoxville and Texas is in the Elite 8. Draw from this what you will, but speaking for myself, I will never have basketball expectations for UT beyond just making the tournament.

Hooked 'em: Why Texas had to fire Rick Barnes | FOX Sports

Last edited:

Brutal but what isn't true? Between us and Texas we have nearly a quarter century of Rick Barnes history. Read the article I linked above and tell me why anyone would expect change or something/anything different at this point in the mans career? I'd been thinking about what Barnes could do to improve his situation especially on offense. I stupidly thought getting some new assistants to help would be smart then I recalled his time from Texas and remembered that they insisted he make changes in that area. Barnes refused and they let him go. So the idea that Barnes will change...ever...is foolish. Until he retires, he is who and what he is and we are who and what we are as a result. They were wrong, but in hindsight, you have to admit the pundits calling for us to lose in the first round to UL weren't really off in left field in their expectations. They also knew history.....specifically Rick Barnes' history. The article linked by the OP is sadly...well...just the truth.

We’re a football school through and through even though basketball has been what we’ve been best at the last 7-10 years compared to the gridiron. But yeah, it’s tough.

The Tournament is all about matchups and catching fire at the right time. I saw an earlier post that mentioned Auburn, USCjr being in the Final Four the last 5-6 years. Those teams aren’t consistently good as UT has been. It’s crazy how just one run changes the entire perception of a program.

We’re literally just like Virginia. Great defensively, hard to watch on offense. The year they won the Natty they could’ve lost any of their 3 remaining games. We have to get better offensively though because giving up 61 and losing ain’t it.

We aren't even a strong football school. Out best sport is Women's Basketball.

If Barnes retires I truly think Barnes will have an influence on the decision or offer a suggestion to DW I say most likely the guy that went to East Carolina or Kim English if he does a good job at PC

I do not believe DW is so tied to Barnes that it will have minimal effect on DWs decision. His father and his brothers know the basketball world top to bottom. IMO he will lean on his brothers, one a HC at UGA and listen to their suggestions more that any others, including Barnes. I think DW will go with a more current game planning coach style. I watched ETSU and they played like UT albeit without much discipline under a Barnes coach tree, it didn't end well, JMO

The last time I watched a game, Barnes did not bring the ball up the court, take a 3, shoot a layup, guard an opposing player, shoot a free throw, throw a pass, or any other play on the court. I never saw him make a dumb play like throwing an elbow into an opposing player at the most inopportune moment. Barnes is not coaching at a 'blue blood' basketball school. He has recruited well to Tennessee. Why would any elite player want to come to Tennessee, a school that has no historically great basketball program? The false narrative that this men's basketball program has ever been relevant is a false narrative in the minds of the fans. We need to thank Barnes for bringing this program to the highest place it has ever been. When he is gone, we might be able to attract someone better than Don Devoe, Donny Tyndale, Wade Houston, etc, etc.

The last time I watched a game, Barnes did not bring the ball up the court, take a 3, shoot a layup, guard an opposing player, shoot a free throw, throw a pass, or any other play on the court. I never saw him make a dumb play like throwing an elbow into an opposing player at the most inopportune moment. Barnes is not coaching at a 'blue blood' basketball school. He has recruited well to Tennessee. Why would any elite player want to come to Tennessee, a school that has no historically great basketball program? The false narrative that this men's basketball program has ever been relevant is a false narrative in the minds of the fans. We need to thank Barnes for bringing this program to the highest place it has ever been. When he is gone, we might be able to attract someone better than Don Devoe, Donny Tyndale, Wade Houston, etc, etc.

Why have a coach at all, since in your world they don't affect what happens during a game?

You’re wrong about Wade Houston being hired for his son. Primary reason for that hire was Lamar Alexander wanting a black head coach as part of his legacy as UT President.

Allan Houston was 100% a huge factor in hiring Wade Houston. Otherwise Leonard Hamilton would have been offered the job. Also, Pat Kennedy at FL State was TN’s first choice. Alexander also wanted Wade because he was a Blount County kid.

Doug Dickey crapped all over the Wade Houston hire when he was asked about Wade getting the membership at Cherokee Country Club like all other TN football and basketball coaches had as part of their compensation packages. Dickey’s answer was “that’s not an option”. Way to go DA Dickey. Painting all of Knoxville as racist is a great way to kick start the recruiting. BTW, Fox Den CC immediately stepped right up.

Reactions: wmcovol
Allan Houston was 100% a huge factor in hiring Wade Houston. Otherwise Leonard Hamilton would have been offered the job. Also, Pat Kennedy at FL State was TN’s first choice. Alexander also wanted Wade because he was a Blount County kid.

Doug Dickey crapped all over the Wade Houston hire when he was asked about Wade getting the membership at Cherokee Country Club like all other TN football and basketball coaches had as part of their compensation packages. Dickey’s answer was “that’s not an option”. Way to go DA Dickey. Painting all of Knoxville as racist is a great way to kick start the recruiting. BTW, Fox Den CC immediately stepped right up.

If Wade Houston had been white with a great player for a son he wouldn’t have been hired. Pretty much that simple. Having Allan as a son might’ve swayed the decision away from Leonard Hamilton, but it wasn’t the primary reason Wade was hired. Next.

If Wade Houston had been white with a great player for a son he wouldn’t have been hired. Pretty much that simple. Having Allan as a son might’ve swayed the decision away from Leonard Hamilton, but it wasn’t the primary reason Wade was hired. Next.

The primary reason was because Pat Cracker Kennedy turned TN down.

Did Barnes shoot 33% from the field, 26% from 3, or 57 % from the ft line? The players played scared and it cost us. Should Barnes have used a TO earlier during the run? Yes he should have, but to say this loss is only on him is ridiculous.
No but the players he recruited did.

Barnes came in, got us back to a perennial top 25 team and upper echelon of the SEC. His teams can’t break through in March though. I wonder at times if he needs to back off the hard practices as the year progress?
Anyway, unless you have a sure fire upgrade, not sure just firing Barnes solves any problems.

VN Store

Back