'21 Are you happy?

I agree but am a little bit worried that after hiring a new AD (highly regarded) and such offensive minded HC that we have not seen at least a few exciting recruiting updates (or even rumours) by now. It seems like Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt all generated some type of excitement as soon as they were hired and were able to translate that to closing their first recruiting cycle higher than expected - not sure if we will see that with Heupel (also surprised not more assistants have been announced - that seems to be moving very slowly - almost like he does not have many people in his rolodex and/or had not given this much thought before he accepted the job).

None of our previous guys have been named 1 week before the final signing date I don’t think. Most of the scholarships have been committed. Even the Pruitt staff was thinking grad transfers more than late HS signees.

We have to do well in 2022, this year wasn't great, but it was far from disastrous like it could've been.

Given the context of last 6 months, on a scale of 1 - 10. How happy are you with a #18 recruiting class? Personally, I’m an 8.
Considering the unknowns of what's about to go down, if we can keep this signing class intact. It would be BIG!!

Always happy at the beginning of every new season. Last time happy at the end of the season in 1998.

Considering all the embarrassment, the turmoil, investigation/potential violations and a late hire, I'll give it an 8.

Look at USCjr... yes they aren't a program like we are but they are literally in 76th place in the team rankings without any of my previously mentioned things we are going through right now.

I have no choice but to be happy. I have waited for 30 years to see an air raid offense at Tennessee.
I agree. I'm hopeful that Tennessee will field a team that will light up the offense & be aggressive. May need some more lightning fast receivers, I don't know but at least that would excite the fan base--for a change.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
If they keep Brooks, I'd say 6-7. If we lose him 3-4.

I think given when we hired, it was tough to make a move. Still not a big fan of the hire though (willing to give a chance) and don't feel like any big moves were made.

All said I'm about a 5 which is to say about what I expected which is very meh.

16 according to CBSSPORTS. 3rd in the East ain’t getting it done though

Like it or not, it’s more about 3-7 season than who the coach is. The class was falling apart before Pruitt got fired and he wasn’t signing any 4 or 5 stars today.

Reactions: OllVol
Grading our class by position
QB- A (No complaints here)
RB- B+ (Really excited about Evans and Wright is perfect for this offense.)
WR/TE B- (Love Merrill, Nixon could be a bust or a weapon. Campbell could be a big time player)
OL- D+ (The weakness of the class the entire time. I can get excited about Parker, everybody else not so much)
DL- C (Evans, Washington and Young could all be solid. Only a C because of lack of numbers. Maybe Bell will end up a solid DE but who knows if he plays that)
LB- B (I’m assuming Marley will be a LB here. Willis is good pickup)
DB- C- (Numbers are the issue here. We need big time help at corner. Super pumped about Rucker)

Overall- B- I think Merrill, Rucker, Marley, Campbell, both Evans, and Salter will all be multiple year starters and quality SECplayers. If we can get somebody like Charles and Crawford to outperform their ranking this has a chance to be a solid group.

Grading our class by position
QB- A (No complaints here)
RB- B+ (Really excited about Evans and Wright is perfect for this offense.)
WR/TE B- (Love Merrill, Nixon could be a bust or a weapon. Campbell could be a big time player)
OL- D+ (The weakness of the class the entire time. I can get excited about Parker, everybody else not so much)
DL- C (Evans, Washington and Young could all be solid. Only a C because of lack of numbers. Maybe Bell will end up a solid DE but who knows if he plays that)
LB- B (I’m assuming Marley will be a LB here. Willis is good pickup)
DB- C- (Numbers are the issue here. We need big time help at corner. Super pumped about Rucker)

Overall- B- I think Merrill, Rucker, Marley, Campbell, both Evans, and Salter will all be multiple year starters and quality SECplayers. If we can get somebody like Charles and Crawford to outperform their ranking this has a chance to be a solid group.
Nice breakdown.
Charles is a dark horse.

6'1 190 lbs 10.7 speed (4.4) and played QB.
Always a good skillset when playing DB.

I've picked him to push for a starting spot. Really good athlete and ballplayer.

Reactions: Volle
I’m happy.
giphy.gif

And I know it.

For awhile we've passed (ironic) on small but very fast skill players, going instead for the classic NFL tall guys who can bring in those 50/50 balls.

If our receivers last year could not get open against man-to-man, then I'm concerned how they will manage in this new offense.

I'd feel better if we could pick up one or two lightening fast over-achievers with chips on their shoulders who were deemed "too small" for the SEC.

I agree but am a little bit worried that after hiring a new AD (highly regarded) and such offensive minded HC that we have not seen at least a few exciting recruiting updates (or even rumours) by now. It seems like Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt all generated some type of excitement as soon as they were hired and were able to translate that to closing their first recruiting cycle higher than expected - not sure if we will see that with Heupel (also surprised not more assistants have been announced - that seems to be moving very slowly - almost like he does not have many people in his rolodex and/or had not given this much thought before he accepted the job).

I expect the dark cloud of what the NCAA has in store for the program may have more bearing on recruits than we know or can guess.

VN Store

Back