Are we the same as Nebraska

Nebraska used to get great offensive linemen from Nebraska
Correct. And did it w/o athletic scholarships. Every county in Nebraska would fund a college scholarship to the state school in Lincoln for their best student in the county. Who knew most of the time that student actually also played football...

Reactions: BUBear
They haven't been elite in 20 years.

Their 2001 team was the last time they finished top 10. Which would've been made up of recruits going back to 1997 and '98 (Tom Osborne's last classes). They recruited JUCOs pretty heavily in the 80's and 90's. It's not as viable of a strategy today due to all the scholarship limits and NCAA rules.

Moreover, football talent has become much more concentrated since the 80s / 90s, in the South and California. The Midwest has probably suffered the most from this trend. Which is also why Michigan is tougher to win at now than it was 30 years ago. (Ohio, btw, has not suffered at all; but Michigan / Illinois / Great Plains have.)

That said, Osborne was also outperforming to a crazy extent. Nebraska basically had lightning in a bottle during that period. It seems very unlikely to repeat in the near future.

I think South Carolina has an easier path to a national title than Nebraska at this point in time. Albeit, SC arguably made the worst coaching hire in the nation this offseason.

Since 2001, (and you are welcome to check the math) Nebraska has posted 152 wins.
In that same period of time? Tennessee has won 141 games.

Tennessee Volunteers Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Nebraska Cornhuskers Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

So, what does that mean? Neither program has been lighting up the college football championship race. But as to being relevant? They are slightly more relevant than Tennessee historically speaking. So, instead of analyzing their disadvantage vs ours? I find myself jealous of them.

Last edited:
Since 2001, (and you are welcome to check the math) Nebraska has posted 152 wins.
In that same period of time? Tennessee has won 141 games.

Tennessee Volunteers Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Nebraska Cornhuskers Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

So, what does that mean? Neither program has been lighting up the college football championship race. But as to being relevant? They are slightly more relevant than Tennessee historically speaking. So, instead of analyzing their disadvantage vs ours? I find myself jealous of them.
They are more relevant than Tennessee historically speaking and have been better than Tennessee more recently. We actually do have one more claimed national title than them, but if it wasn't for 1998 our most recent claimed title would be 1967, and I don't think anybody really believes Tennessee was the best team in the country that year. They have more all-time wins, more Heisman winners, more All-Americans all-time than Tennessee does as well. Nebraska has only been what I would call truly awful since 2017 (their best season since 2017 is 5-7). They were consistently winning 9 or 10 games from 2008-2016. Tennessee, with a brief fleeting period in 2015 and 2016, has been consistently bad since 2008.

Having said that, I think Tennessee is absolutely in a better position to turn their program around than Nebraska is.

I believe that Nebraska is actually in a worse situation than us. While the Vols primarily recruit Georgia, Florida, the Carolinas, and other southern states, Tennessee at least has some decent in-state recruits. Nebraska thrived in the Big 12 because they recruited the state of Texas and have very little as far as in state recruits. Since moving to the Big 10, they have made lots of money, but the good Texas recruits are not wanting to go to Nebraska because the Huskers no longer play games in Austin, Lubbock, Ft. Worth or Waco so families would be forced to travel long distances within the Big 10 to see their kids play.
Knoxville is within 200 miles of 3 major rapidly growing metropolitan areas (Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte). Nebraska has maybe Omaha and not much else. Also they donā€™t have the same ā€œstrength and conditioningā€ program that turned walk-one into world class athletes that surprisingly did very little in the nfl.

I knew 2 dudes headed to Aspen and they took a wrong turn and ended up in Nebraska.

They say Tennessee is nothing like Nebraska.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
They are more relevant than Tennessee historically speaking and have been better than Tennessee more recently. We actually do have one more claimed national title than them, but if it wasn't for 1998 our most recent claimed title would be 1967, and I don't think anybody really believes Tennessee was the best team in the country that year. They have more all-time wins, more Heisman winners, more All-Americans all-time than Tennessee does as well. Nebraska has only been what I would call truly awful since 2017 (their best season since 2017 is 5-7). They were consistently winning 9 or 10 games from 2008-2016. Tennessee, with a brief fleeting period in 2015 and 2016, has been consistently bad since 2008.

Having said that, I think Tennessee is absolutely in a better position to turn their program around than Nebraska is.

Perhaps. But, a "better position" doesn't mean crap unless the jugheads keep mucking things up around here. If that stops happening, who knows? Maybe you can dig this one outta the archives, and shake it in my face when the Vols climb back up. I am going with the odds, and figuring we will be talking about another rebuild soon.

I knew 2 dudes headed to Aspen and they took a wrong turn and ended up in Nebraska.

They say Tennessee is nothing like Nebraska.
Well, I went to Pennsylvania one time and visited Paradise and I can tell you that's nothing like Intercourse.

They haven't been elite in 20 years.

Their 2001 team was the last time they finished top 10. Which would've been made up of recruits going back to 1997 and '98 (Tom Osborne's last classes). They recruited JUCOs pretty heavily in the 80's and 90's. It's not as viable of a strategy today due to all the scholarship limits and NCAA rules.

Moreover, football talent has become much more concentrated since the 80s / 90s, in the South and California. The Midwest has probably suffered the most from this trend. Which is also why Michigan is tougher to win at now than it was 30 years ago. (Ohio, btw, has not suffered at all; but Michigan / Illinois / Great Plains have.)

That said, Osborne was also outperforming to a crazy extent. Nebraska basically had lightning in a bottle during that period. It seems very unlikely to repeat in the near future.

I think South Carolina has an easier path to a national title than Nebraska at this point in time. Albeit, SC arguably made the worst coaching hire in the nation this offseason.
The Big 8 allowed Partial Qualifiers whereas the BIG XII didn't. That was one of Osbourne's many beefs with the boys from Austin and the Texas schools in general.

No one other that UT fans acknowledge UT won the NC in '67.

Typically when a team wins a national title it is written about, celebrated, etc. There's no mention of a title in the '68 guide or game programs. As of 1990, UT listed 2 NC"s in the football guide ('38 & '51). For the 1991 guide, 3 more were added ('40, '50, & '67).

No, they won four titles in the 90's and beat us for one of them. We might be on similar levels now but the fell much much further.

VN Store

Back