Are we struggling or just getting everyone’s best?

Our shooting went ice cold except for GW. Considering how GW was dominating especially in the 2nd half, I couldn't believe anyone would take a shot without GW touching it first? That PG for Vandy is as fast as Bone and that block on Bowden was top 10 play material.

If they would've won it would've been the #1 play. Bowden's dunk should be top 5.

A lot of them are open that's the frustrating part.

They shot 50%, Bama shot better. We can't hit 1 wide open 25%. This is the current problem, we have to spread because they are hot and everything they throw up goes in, it's harder to play defense in space. This can't continue, we will start hitting and the opponents % will go down guarded or unguarded.

Reactions: walkenvol
Our shooters don’t seem to have much moxy. They get tight when we need a shot and then the offense doesn’t flow around the perimeter but the ground and pound with Grant works well.

Honestly, I think it's both but we struggle BECAUSE of our ranking. No matter who they are, if you get to play the number 1 team in the nation you will play differently everytime. You either suck it up or overachieve. Vandy just made it more difficult than what we expected.

My eyes see 3 things - guards getting beat defensively. We are struggling mightily switching on screens. Shot selection by everyone other than Williams is average to bad.

A little more of my opinion on my 3rd point. When we lose Williams in the coming year(s) I do not trust anyone else that plays signification minutes to be our go to offensively. Nobody. Please dj Burns and or JosiahJames be able to fill Williams shoes. Jmo
Huge improvement on the defense later into the 2nd half but they made some crazy late shots.
As good as Williams played, the rest of the team was just plain bad. Admiral looks ill.

Rebounds were just 34-32 in Vanderbilt's favor. They had one more offensive rebound than we did and one more defensive rebound. Vandy did beat us to some of the 50/50 balls and they were definitely competing much harder as a team than they did against Miss State. For the 2nd straight game, Tennessee's opponent hit 10 3 point shots - that's a few too many and needs to be addressed.

For all of the negatives we can moan and groan about, Grant Williams is the best free throw shooter, as a post player, that I've seen in college basketball since Christian Laettner - he was 23-23 tonight and we needed every one of them. Great job!
He was 14 of 14 in another game just few days ago.

Huge improvement on the defense later into the 2nd half but they made some crazy late shots.
As good as Williams played, the rest of the team was just plain bad. Admiral looks ill.
We hit several 3's in the first half, but couldn't buy one in the 2nd. Two games in a row where we got out shot from beyond the arc.

I've said all year: we can't rely on AS shooting threes. Our matchup debacle for teams is Alexander (C) - Williams (F) - Schofield (F, not SG). Not many squads can handle that trio inside of 12 feet

Seems like the chemistry has been failing since Turner's return. He certainly adds an element, but the offense just isn't as good. Too many quick 3s were being taken before they finally listened to Barnes and fed Williams. That trip to USC next week won't end well unless some things get fixed.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Reality or not, their is a sense of cockiness and pride when you are labeled "number 1 in the nation".

The anticipation of being number 1 - that happen against Alabama.

The realization of being number 1 - that happen RIGHT before Vandy.

Now that the hype is over and we got through the first game, I think we settle back. The team doesn't need to "soak it in". It needs to feel like nothing happen

I believe that was the Vols first win while being ranked #1 in the country. Many more to come...

I think Pons is hurting us defensively. He gives too much help inside trying to get a block and leaves his man over and over for an open 3.
Maybe so. But the last 2 games, we have come out firing opening a good lead until substitutions and Fulky enters the game. Then the opening momentum is suddenly lost. I don't see what he gives us because his height doesn't result in rebounds. He's out of position for RBs. I don't see any assists tonight. He chips in an avg 4 ppg, but he' the clumsiest guy on the court. Walker or Johnson might be a better fit off the bench. But I assume there's a reason for his minutes.

Nearly every game that has been tight, Admiral has had horrible nights shooting. Kans, Bama, and Vandy. Just awful pct of FGs.

But every road game is going to be the same atmosphere like tonight as long as we are #1. It's center stage for the home crowds and their chance for glory. But after all has been said, Grant Williams is Naismith. What a player. He has been the rock steady backbone of the team. And Jordan Bone is playing better all the time. We will lose and this temporary #1 will be off our back, but if the team improves and we can find a combination that keeps us from losing our early momentum, we stand a shot at being #1 again late when it matters the most.

Reactions: lastlap
I say 70% struggling and 30% getting the other teams best. I haven't seen the stats but it felt like they ate us alive on the boards and with loose balls. That is a sign of one team wanting it more.
I believe they won that battle 31 to 30.

Seems like the chemistry has been failing since Turner's return. He certainly adds an element, but the offense just isn't as good. Too many quick 3s were being taken before they finally listened to Barnes and fed Williams. That trip to USC next week won't end well unless some things get fixed.

Turner wasn’t an issue first two games he came back.

It’s their defense. Offense hasn’t been the issue except against Bama.

Reactions: Devo182
People want narratives because it’s easy. Vandy played fine but Vandy isn’t good.

It’s simple they are not playing defense. They are giving up too many easy buckets at the rim, late rotating and are not finding their man in transition.

Just barely beating the very Worst team in the entire SEC is a Signal that UT is struggling.

When a team lights it up from 3 point range the game is going to be close. I watched Duke shoot wide open 3's last week and go 1-10. We have been shooting 20%. The opposition is shooting 50% or better from the same range last 3 or 4 games. You will not dominate anyone who shoots 50% from there. Lucky we got wins.

Basketball is basketball! Some days it goes in some days it doesn’t. One advantage we do have is different guys can step up. It averages out - beat Ga by 50 on super night, barely win when Vandy shoots lights out and we don’t! But we still won! Next game is next game. Chance are we drop a couple in the harder stretch of our schedule! But it doesn’t mean we are bad! Enjoy the ride! It likely won’t last through another 15-18 games. But if we win enough, still a 1 or 2 seed! In some ways like football - loose 3 or 4 early, win 10-12 in a row at end can land better seed than the opposite. So lets pull hard for them to finish well - but it won’t be a lot of 25 point blowouts!
Grant is best college player to ever wear orange! Right there with Bernie. Bernie maybe more talented but not the consistent will to win no matter what it takes! 43 points or taking 3 charges down the stretch and feeding hot shooter! He just refuses to lose!
Go Big Orange!

VN Store

Back