Are we good yet? 2/19

Volunteer08

Hey Guys - I'm not regular in this forum, but swing by from time to time to check on the baseVols. What can we take from the sweep against App St? It looks like our pitchers all had good outings...Can we attribute this to Frank Anderson and should I be excited or should I slow my role? I know Appy was a bottom third tier team last season so I'm just not sure what to take from the series. I'd would've liked to have seen some more runs, but a win is a win. What are your thoughts on the offensive side of the team?

Is there a series on the schedule that we can circle to gauge how well we're playing? I'd hate to wait until we're 20 games in before we know what we're working with (Auburn).

TIA

I personally feel like this team is going to be really good.. Below is my reasons why...
1.) Pitching - everybody's back with a lot of experience, added depth and just getting familiar with coaching staff and roles
2) Defense - is a lot better than last year. added some pieces and some better positioned. Catching depth.
3) second year with all new staff - Huge plus for coaches and especially players
4) Swagger and Attitude is there....good teams have to have some.... TEAM CHEMISTRY Is THERE.....NO bad apples that think they are entitled....
5) Good Team Speed and has some Pop....will be days that the offense struggles (Baseball).....Goes back to Pitching and Defense...Those days is when you struggle to score Our Speed will show up........

Early Season Prediction - 17-13 Sec Record & NCAA Tournament team!!

I think you are spot on with your thoughts Volsbaseballfan. Need to stay healthy and start hitting up and down the lineup a little better. Another factor is developing depth. Successful teams always use a lot of players and build depth and experience during the regular season. We didn’t seem to do that very much last year.

I think the series just completed really gives us no indication of what might transpire. Being due for success and having success are two different animals. Hopefully, improvement will be seen across the board in all key areas and the Vols will be better than expected. Compete hard in every game and see where the chips fall.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated and I'll try to stay in the loop more frequently so I don't need to beg for cliff-notes!

I think you are spot on with your thoughts Volsbaseballfan. Need to stay healthy and start hitting up and down the lineup a little better. Another factor is developing depth. Successful teams always use a lot of players and build depth and experience during the regular season. We didn’t seem to do that very much last year.
CTV must have read your mind with establishing depth with his lineup today. 4 true Freshman.

Hey Guys - I'm not regular in this forum, but swing by from time to time to check on the baseVols. What can we take from the sweep against App St? It looks like our pitchers all had good outings...Can we attribute this to Frank Anderson and should I be excited or should I slow my role? I know Appy was a bottom third tier team last season so I'm just not sure what to take from the series. I'd would've liked to have seen some more runs, but a win is a win. What are your thoughts on the offensive side of the team?

Is there a series on the schedule that we can circle to gauge how well we're playing? I'd hate to wait until we're 20 games in before we know what we're working with (Auburn).

TIA
Indiana is a very good team. We will get a good idea this weekend I believe.

I guess I am a glutton for punishment. But I stuck it out in the nasty weather to watch all four games so far. Our pitching depth is solid. The three starters did well this weekend and Hunley was solid today. Those four have another year of experience and it shows. Can’t go wrong with any of those guys. Bullpen looks good too. Once our hitting starts clicking...watch out.

My observations from the first 4 games:
1) The pitching staff is REALLY GOOD!!
2) Vols have a ton of really good freshman pitchers(Sewell, Silseth, and Kohlhepp) that will fight/get for innings and hitters(Pav, Rucker, Scott, Knight, and Ferguson) pushing the older guys for at bats.
3) This team will have to hit more when the weather warms up, if it wants to compete for a Regional.
4) Go Vols!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Volsbaseballfan
As others said, I think this weekends series against Indiana will give us a decent indicator of where we stand so far. We are much improved IMO with pitching depth and more importantly a much better attitude amongst the players for sure. Here's to another sweep this weekend against the Hoosiers.

We are not "good" yet. We are better. A little. Concerning stat after 4 patsy games: .254 Team Batting Avg.

Also, our best hitter has yet to get a hit. Will comment more after weekend series, but I'm leaning towards two changes to the starting lineup already.

We are not "good" yet. We are better. A little. Concerning stat after 4 patsy games: .254 Team Batting Avg.

Also, our best hitter has yet to get a hit. Will comment more after weekend series, but I'm leaning towards two changes to the starting lineup already.
I wouldn’t be worried about Andre at all. He has been super unlucky. He is barreling a lot of balls up and he’s also drawing a lot of walks. That means he is seeing the ball well. My prediction is he is going to explode this weekend.

With only giving up 1 run in 6 complete games I am going to have to say that’s pretty dang impressive! This team could make some noise !!! Go Vols and let’s quit being negative and get behind them!!

Reactions: txbo
With only giving up 1 run in 6 complete games I am going to have to say that’s pretty dang impressive! This team could make some noise !!! Go Vols and let’s quit being negative and get behind them!!
They have done awesome
My guess is they go 44-12 this year and 20-10 in Sec play.
Plus make the regional

That would have this team 100% hosting a regional and be in line to host a super regional. I think that is a very lofty goal.

VN Store

Back