Are we downgrading??

I looked at the transfer portal and it seems the players who are mostly leaving to a rival SEC school. The players coming in are from lower caliber schools. Will we get a transfer from a rival SEC school?
You must not follow the NFL there all kinds of players from G5 and FCS schools in the league, now they can easily transfer, you probably won't see it as much in the future but just because a player is not on a P5team doesn't mean he can't play up.

It does get old there are about 5-6 posters on here who chronically complain about Martinez but don’t give him one bit of credit for the recruiting he has done this off season.

Curious to see what the excuse will be if the secondary continues to struggle without Martinez

This is so old. Martinez has succeeded as a DB coach. If you are going to lay blame... go to the guy who determines the scheme and calls the plays. The vast majority of break downs in the secondary had nothing at all to do with Martinez's ability to teach technique and run practice drills.
You’re right. I forgot how mad Georgia fans were when we stole him the first go round. I also forgot how upset we were when he was let go from here. It’s always been the DC’s fault.

Good post. As I said in another thread, I ran into a couple of juniors attending a SEC school. I’ve known them since they were small kids playing youth sports.

There are some blunt conversations behind closed doors and apparently, not all are with the head coach as many have a conversation with their position coach or coordinator. That surprised me a bit as I would think the head coach would have a one to one conversation.
They probably do have that one on one with CJH but he's thanking him for his work.

I suspect it may be NIL as much as anything else.
Our secondary is bad. The worst position group on the team for three seasons.

Big NIL offers aren't flying in for the embarrassing secondary. They know another SEC team will offer them, and the collectives sweeten the deal with much fatter NIL deals. It is a business decision. None of them might have been offered much, if anything, for their NIL for the coming 2024 season.

Nobody can convince me a coaching staff pushed out the best DBs on the team with a struggling secondary. A coach would see any DB as someone whose skillset should be peaking with another season of practice and conditioning and gamestudy. And that

I suspect it may be NIL as much as anything else.
Our secondary is bad. The worst position group on the team for three seasons.

Big NIL offers aren't flying in for the embarrassing secondary. They know another SEC team will offer them, and the collectives sweeten the deal with much fatter NIL deals. It is a business decision. None of them might have been offered much, if anything, for their NIL for the coming 2024 season.

Nobody can convince me a coaching staff pushed out the best DBs on the team with a struggling secondary. A coach would see any DB as someone whose skillset should be peaking with another season of practice and conditioning and gamestudy. And that
It could go something like this, we have guys that are freshmen that may be equal with the starters and to keep the culture of the upper classmen stable. In a virtual tie they go with the upperclassman the remainder of this year to keep the players influx and also maybe let their NIL deals run. Then they have the talk that it looks like you are going to be pressed for playing time next year by X-Y & Z. Then if they have a chance to not start their NIL deals would waver and it leads to, they would be better off at a new start. JMO

Reactions: SpookyAction
This is so old. Martinez has succeeded as a DB coach. If you are going to lay blame... go to the guy who determines the scheme and calls the plays. The vast majority of break downs in the secondary had nothing at all to do with Martinez's ability to teach technique and run practice drills.
Wow, where have you been? Martinez has succeeded what are you watching. What are we ranked 128 out of 132 or something like that. NO he’s the problem and needs to go or Josh will never win an SEC championshi.

I hope that the thought process of the coaching staff was to give more NIL money to
the offensive and defensive line players and not give more to the DB's. We needed to keep
the strengths and rid ourselves of the weak links (DBs) because incoming secondary and
backup reserves would be as good or better than the starters.

Really the only one that hurts is Baron but I guess he still could turn pro if he changes his mind. We got some studs incoming from the portal and the others that are outgoing will not be big losses. I thought we did pretty darn well getting that CB from OSU, the TE from Notre Dame, and the WR from Tulane. Everyone in the country wanted those kids.

Since when are Oregon states and Notre Dame lower levels schools? Tulane is also ranked right now.
Don't muck up the thread with level headed posts. Only cltsif posts are allowed. You know division 2 all Americans are complete garbage don't you know.

Baron is the only head-scratcher for me. We've been complaining as a fan base for 2 years about the secondary. When I see them all leave it only tells me that the coaches see it too and are actually doing something about it.
Why is Baron xferring? Starter that should be testing the NFL waters, right? Or, is he just seeing his value out there. If someone gives Enuf NILz the he xfers, otherwise he goes into the draft?

Reactions: murfvol1
Wow, where have you been? Martinez has succeeded what are you watching. What are we ranked 128 out of 132 or something like that. NO he’s the problem and needs to go or Josh will never win an SEC championshi.
You do realize he didn't just jump off the truck and start coaching at UT, right?

Only an abject moron could watch what's going on and think any position coach on D "is" the problem.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
You’re right. I forgot how mad Georgia fans were when we stole him the first go round. I also forgot how upset we were when he was let go from here. It’s always been the DC’s fault.
At both places he was a DC. He's a position coach now. The Peter Principle applies. He rose to the level of his incompetence and then retreated back to something he's better at. If Martinez truly is a problem then let a new DC figure that out because there is no chance whatsoever that Banks is calling for UT's DBs to give 10 yd cushions and Martinez is telling them to do something else.

You left out his ability to evaluate talent.

I looked at the transfer portal and it seems the players who are mostly leaving to a rival SEC school. The players coming in are from lower caliber schools. Will we get a transfer from a rival SEC school?

Why downgrade when we can upgrade?

Really, none of us know until the newcomers perform. The lack of "sizzle" has raised some valid concerns about the staff's roster management but we have to trust them until given a reason not to. If your expectations are in TN getting accolades from recruiting/portal moves, this is not the staff for you. Let's hope they know what they are doing.
Yea it seems it's a balancing act of how programs feel they need to compete... Ole Miss going big with the elite transfer guys and I'm sure it's costing a big penny.... Vols I feel are evaluating player true value and who to let go and develop young talent.... Using Portal guys for plugging upgrades along with depth but trying not to lose trust in young talent... It all sucks tbh

Reactions: knox73
The guys we are bringing in in the secondary cannot be as bad as the guys who have left.

Baron is the only head-scratcher for me. We've been complaining as a fan base for 2 years about the secondary. When I see them all leave it only tells me that the coaches see it too and are actually doing something about it.

I SUSPECT that this being the second time to play the portal card impacted the staffs plus/minus calculations on him.

Why is Baron xferring? Starter that should be testing the NFL waters, right? Or, is he just seeing his value out there. If someone gives Enuf NILz the he xfers, otherwise he goes into the draft?
No idea, but it really pisses me off seeing him with Kiffin.

VN Store

Back