Are we back ?

Our recruiting is top ten in the country...

True, but look at what schools like Bama, UGA, and OSU are doing. The recruiting difference between 1,2,3 ranking and 8,9,10 ranking is significant.

That said, guys like Saban and Smart have to have that talent. I think if we get close in recruiting CJH and his staff have shown they can do a lot more with substantially less.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
How is it possible that we beat the last 4 national champions when Georgia has won the last 2 and we haven't beat them since 2016?

It's still the last 4 unique champions if you count Clemson and we went 3-1 against them. UGA, Bama, LSU, and Clemson. As a side, I don't understand how any other team had a stronger SOS than we did last year.

IMO we were way ahead of the curve for year 2.

Reactions: stewart6600
If u mean back competing with the top dawgs, not gonna lie this just feels right. We've had a good season here an there but it wasn't double digit wins.

Which would work if Day, Smart, and Saban were consulting Rivals before they offer a kid.

You and I could look like geniuses if we only had to rank the top 3 recruiting classes to be considered "accurate". You got OSU, UGA, and Bama... "you're smart".

The problem is their ranking of Texas A&M... and Miami... and others that they say have talent but don't win.

The team I didn't mention is Clemson. When Clemson won their first NC, their average class ranking was 11th.
Elite talent wins most of the time. Certainly in the recent cases of OSU, Clemson, Bama & Georgia. Our coach is fully aware and is recruiting as such.

It's still the last 4 unique champions if you count Clemson and we went 3-1 against them. UGA, Bama, LSU, and Clemson. As a side, I don't understand how any other team had a stronger SOS than we did last year.

IMO we were way ahead of the curve for year 2.
We ended up with the 7th ranked SOS. Auburn had the highest. They played Georgia, Bama and LSU plus the rest of the West teams and Penn State.

2022 college football: Final top 25 FBS strength of schedule rankings

Elite talent wins most of the time. Certainly in the recent cases of OSU, Clemson, Bama & Georgia. Our coach is fully aware and is recruiting as such.
I actually think he's doing something a little different than just talent. He appears to be taking a certain kind of person and character. I think he's willing to take a little less "talent" to get the kinds of guys he thinks he can win with.

He appears to be top tier developing players too. We will see.

To your point, after the top 5 teams or so the recruiting rankings don't do that great of a job predicting winners. The Vols played 5 opponents with a higher talent composite roster according to 247. They beat 4 of them. OU are top 10 teams in that composite. TCU is #32 and beat them both. K-State won the Big 12 beating OU and TCU among the 8 teams they beat with higher talent rankings.

I think they have some general value in telling us which rosters have the most talent. However after the first few teams I'm not convinced it is the critical factor most of the time.

Last edited:
Heup will deliver us back he himself has said we are only scratching the surface… obviously we are only 2.5 seasons removed from 3 wins so we can’t be officially “back” yet but we are well ahead of schedule and we have the best head man and staff that we’ve had in a very long time… and I’ll argue none of our coaches before him had to start from as low as him nor did they have to face tougher competition.

Maybe already said, but the kid at texas said they were back a few years ago. Quite premature on his part, but premature is a texas hallmark.

Back to being in conversation yes but back to knowing we will win 10+ in regular season while competing for SEC and National Championship not yet but with Portal and really good coaching you can get there quicker. In CHRIST Alone

I actually think he's doing something a little different than just talent. He appears to be taking a certain kind of person and character. I think he's willing to take a little less "talent" to get the kinds of guys he thinks he can win with.

He appears to be top tier developing players too. We will see.

To your point, after the top 5 teams or so the recruiting rankings don't do that great of a job predicting winners. The Vols played 5 opponents with a higher talent composite roster according to 247. They beat 4 of them. OU are top 10 teams in that composite. TCU is #32 and beat them both. K-State won the Big 12 beating OU and TCU among the 8 teams they beat with higher talent rankings.

I think they have some general value in telling us which rosters have the most talent. However after the first few teams I'm not convinced it is the critical factor most of the time.
The first few teams have won conference & national titles recently and are currently in our way if we want one.
I 'm happy our coach is going after and getting the type of talent that we will need to win the SEC. The SEC winners in the past few seasons have all had elite level players everywhere. We are heading in that direction.

Reactions: sjt18
They always blame the refs for everything, when they don’t win.

Actually, I should say that the Bammer fans will answer this question ...

Stage 1 ° Bammers blaming refs = We're Close to Back

Stage 2 ° Bammers blaming their coaches = We're ½ way in the door

Stage 3 ° Bammers blame us for cheating = We're Baaaack!

The first few teams have won conference & national titles recently and are currently in our way if we want one.
I 'm happy our coach is going after and getting the type of talent that we will need to win the SEC. The SEC winners in the past few seasons have all had elite level players everywhere. We are heading in that direction.
I think you have the cart before the horse. I think those few programs are much more likely to have highly ranked classes because they've proven then can find and develop great talent and then win at a high level with them.

That said, Day has now lost his last two vs Harbaugh. Supposedly OSU has more talent. Watch for Harbaugh's recruiting targets to start getting more "love" and for Michigan to start rising in the rankings.

They always blame the refs for everything, when they don’t win.
I hate seeing games turned by bad calls. It makes me pretty angry when it happens to UT. I'm not going to apologize for it. Ole Miss two years ago and then Purdue to end the season still stick in my craw when I think about it.

A 9-4 season followed by an 11 win season would have just heightened the image of UT and especially in recruiting.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
More accurate to say Tennessee never went away. All programs go through up and down cycles, but there are maybe 20 - 25 (rough guess) that have the resources to rise to rise to the top of cfb and Tennessee is definitely in that group. The SEC has more than it's share of top football programs and that causes even good programs to go through occasional hard times.
Heupel will lead this team to promise land just keeping recruiting baby

As a rule, new recruits don't magically become SEC level players. They go up against guys who have been in strength, and near pro level training for several years. You have to develop new talent, again as a rule, new recruits aren't automatic SEC ready. But have it your way, baby, no one wants what you said to be true more than me. Reality, like karma, is a beech.
Several years? Now if I catch 2 crappie that means a couple to me. If I catch 30 well that's several.

Reactions: BigVol88

VN Store

Back