Are we back ?

Back obviously means different things to different people, which is fine. My definition of the phrase back is being in the conversation and we were definitely in the conversation the last 2 seasons. Another definition is being in the top 5 list of major recruits nationally, check that box. The moment that field goal went thru the crossbars as the horn sounded, the fireworks exploded, and a sea of orange descended onto the field like a waterfall, I knew we were back.

The football factory is back up and running after being dormant for so long. We just aren’t running at full capacity yet, just need a few more new machines to increase production.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I will think we are back when we can sustain the same level of success for a few years running.

As much as I want to beat UGA, I would take a regular season loss and a playoff appearance all day long.

We are back if you look at this with orange colored glasses. If you don't, we just had one good year, alot of teams have a good year once a decade, we need to build on that one good year to be "back".
A good way to build on last years success and for sustainability is for us to have another 10 or 11 win season this year and another top ten finish. After 13 years from 2008-2020 of up and down seasons with alot of losing seasons we need about 6 seasons straight of consistent 9 win and up winning seasons.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
1. Yes, we're back.

2. But are we staying?

3. That can only be proven by repeated success through roster changes.

4. The single most significant roster change is a new starting QB.

5. This year, we have a new starting QB.

6. So we'll have a really good idea by the end of this season, and especially by the end of the 2024 season, if we're back for good.

Go Vols!
New starting QB that already has four starts over his belt over about a two month period between 21 and 22....

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
No. Not back yet. One good season doesn't prove it. I like Heupel a lot. But he still has work to do. He probably still has a valley or two to endure. I believe he's the right leader. But from where the Vols were to "back" is a tough climb.

Top 10 currently, and elite is top 5 in my opinion. Few nattys have come from schools that haven’t recruited top 5 consistently

Which would work if Day, Smart, and Saban were consulting Rivals before they offer a kid.

You and I could look like geniuses if we only had to rank the top 3 recruiting classes to be considered "accurate". You got OSU, UGA, and Bama... "you're smart".

The problem is their ranking of Texas A&M... and Miami... and others that they say have talent but don't win.

The team I didn't mention is Clemson. When Clemson won their first NC, their average class ranking was 11th.

Beat Bama in October. Plus everybody else we’re supposed to beat. Then we can talk about “being back”.

Right now we’ve got everybody’s attention and things are going in the right direction. And I couldn’t be happier.

No. We're not back yet. Our recruiting is just moderate currently. We still don't have a real Tennessee defense right now. The UT is capable of making some noise, sure, but we aren't what we once were, we aren't what many of our, understandably, giddy fans think we are. We're not even what we're going to be, either. But we're getting there, and soon.

--Apologies to Satchel Paige.
Good job woodsman. Good fan I appreciate your understanding of the team

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
We'll learn some things about this program next season, when we sure won't be sneaking up on anyone! DCs are game-planning for us right now, and come Fall, we will receive everyone's best effort. That, in itself, is its own learning curve for a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

VN Store

Back