Are the LV’s a top 10 team today?

Do you believe the Lady Vols are a top 10 team today?

• Yes

Votes: 63 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Don’t know or care

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not yet...we are seated exactly where we should be
if a top 10 falls out or when we beat a top ten,,,then we should be in

Arguably our sos should have us in the top 10, but our history of Dr Jekylling is why we are were we are....we have to prove we have truly made the jump to the elite (and more importantly, maintain the position) for them to believe in us again

In your opinion, are the LV’s a top 10 team? Why?

Really hard to say, from what I have watched of others, there seem to be a whole lot of good teams at this time. Just too early to know for sure just how good or Ladies are. I know one thing, if they keep getting hurt, we will end up an average or little above team.

We'll be in the top ten if we win today. If we lose shouldn't drop no lower than 15th. A win today probably vaults us back up to number one in RPI we've been trading places with SC they are currently 1 and we are 2. SOS is 9 this game certainly want hurt that ranking.

i have to say im glad im not the coach because i would not be a very good evaluator of the talent. Darby and Walker have really showed me they are getting better and really have a part to play in the way this season goes. I just wish the turnovers would get down to under 15 a game and the unforced turnovers to under 5 a game. Then this team when and if Rae comes back could be really good and final four potential is there.

i have to say im glad im not the coach because i would not be a very good evaluator of the talent. Darby and Walker have really showed me they are getting better and really have a part to play in the way this season goes. I just wish the turnovers would get down to under 15 a game and the unforced turnovers to under 5 a game. Then this team when and if Rae comes back could be really good and final four potential is there.

When Rae comes back you may see an actual increase in turnovers trying to get her the ball and her trying to get back into playing shape and a basketball flow... Others may readjust their roles as well trying to accommodate her.

We may also play at a faster pace which may create more possessions which may lead to more turnovers. However as long as we are out scoring the other team a win is a win.

DALE-SPARKS-RAE_BURRELL_WVU_TENN_12_6_20.jpg

Last edited:

I too had Darby as a potential fail (glad she proved me wrong).
Coach K saw something we weren't privy to and knew she'd work her way out of it.

BTW 2 weeks ago I predicted this game for Rae's return...we'll see

Arguably our sos should have us in the top 10, but our history of Dr Jekylling is why we are were we are....we have to prove we have truly made the jump to the elite (and more importantly, maintain the position) for them to believe in us again
That was my assessment as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
I agree with the sentiment that a win today would probably put them in the Top 10. If they lose today's game, probably keeps them in that 10-15 range until they get another shot with the Stanford game.

I am loving this team and based on current rankings and this win, I think they probably warrant a 9-10 spot. While these early season wins can help with seeding down the road, all these games are just preludes to the grind of the conference schedule and those games will tell where the 21-22 LV team ranks. So, I am not getting too excited over whether they are inside or outside of the top 10 right now.

Puckett is improving every game. How many times did the refs call walking on us after made baskets until CKH got in his grill near halftime? I thought she was gonna get Teed up. Key was really good today as was Walker. Wanna see the free throw % improve.

You can't beat being undefeated after 8 games. We haven't beaten an elite team yet, but we have beaten some ranked and tough teams. We've won in a tournament setting on back to back days, we've won on the road in a couple of tough places to play, and we've done this without our best scorer. I would say we could justify a ranking of 8th or so.

Reading the schedule, we could be 13-0 heading to Fayetteville if we beat Stanford and don't stumble anywhere else along the way. What would we be ranked then?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Reading the schedule, we could be 13-0 heading to Fayetteville if we beat Stanford and don't stumble anywhere else along the way. What would we be ranked then?
I would say Top 5, you would have to think Top 3 though since SC, us, and Arizona are likely to no have any losses. But I could see our no losses still putting us behind 1 loss NC State and 1 loss UConn should they both only loss to SC

We'll be in the top ten if we win today. If we lose shouldn't drop no lower than 15th. A win today probably vaults us back up to number one in RPI we've been trading places with SC they are currently 1 and we are 2. SOS is 9 this game certainly want hurt that ranking.
We’re already in the top 10 and have been for two weeks!

Yes top 10. This team has shown so much in the face of adversity and are undefeated. It’s uncanny how every close game late in the 4th flips to TN with a late run and defensive shutdown of opposing team. Team will be even better as RB works back into lineup when she can return. Hopefully soon.

This is the second best team in the SEC right now, and the conference may get 8-10 teams in the tourney. Burrell return will/would be huge, a lot of growth has happened since she was injured. Those lost minutes developed a few players.

The question now is: Is Tennessee a final four team. A case can be made:

1) Tamari Key. She is becoming a rebounding machine and an increased offensive threat to go along with her elite defense. Stats show her rebounding has improved dramatically from last year. If she becomes a true both-ways elite player, very few teams will beat us in the paint.

2) The steady and proven older players: Rae Burrell is an AA and deadly 3 pt shooter. Horston is extremely athletic and talented, learning to play under control. A terrific defender and mid-range shooter. Jordan Walker is perhaps another 3 pt shooter with the way Kellie is using BK. Keyen provides very good minutes off the bench in the post.

3) The youngsters are developing and contributing nicely. Darby is adding a lot more this year than last, and is doing very well for her sophomore year. Another outside shooter. Bk is giving us the defense on the other PG we have been lacking. Puckett is the real deal, scoring inside and out, and playing good D and rebounding.

4) Defense and rebounding. The old Pat Summitt formula. We are elite in those categories now, and that will keep us in almost any game against almost any opponent.

If the way we are trending holds through the season, I don't see many weaknesses. Come March, we will have a deep and very dangerous team. It may be premature to talk about a FF season, but the potential is there.

Puckett is improving every game. How many times did the refs call walking on us after made baskets until CKH got in his grill near halftime? I thought she was gonna get Teed up. Key was really good today as was Walker. Wanna see the free throw % improve.

You noticed that.
I am a coach watcher and when I saw her go from baseline to end of coach's box, drilling that zebra...I was smiling

VN Store

Back