Are J. Springer and K. Johnson one and done's?

OrangeBeachVol

This question was asked on Rockytopinsider recently and both writers on that site predicted yes they would be. That would be a huge blow for the following season with Pons, provided he comes back, and Fulky being seniors. I was hoping Barnes could keep them around for 2 seasons but guess if the NBA comes calling with big $ after this season they have to take it. You all see it the same way?

BTO posted some info somewhere showing players rated the same in previous years and how many were one and done and it was less than half I think. So odds say at least one will be here two years and a good chance both will imo.

Reactions: LaTechVol
Mathematically, only 1 of them will be. I would bet the under on 2 of them going. But what it ultimately comes down to is the motivations and ideas the players have in their head. That is not always an easy thing to figure out from the outside.

Here is a look at the last 10 years of guys ranked between 15-20 in the 247 composite.

Of note...

5 of the 60 never played in college. 1 (Ray Smith) was because of injuries. 2 others didn't get drafted. the other 2 were drafted in the 1st round

10 of the 60 were 1-and-done players. 6 of those 10 were picked in the 1st round. 1 went in the 2nd round. 2 went undrafted. Precious Achiuwa will almost certainly go in the 1st round in the upcoming draft. It's possible that Trendon Watford remains in the NBA draft to make it 11 out of 60

17 of the 60 stayed 2 years. 11 of those 17 were drafted with 2 more (Tre Jones and Jalen Smith) almost certainly to make it 13 in the upcoming draft. 4 went undrafted

9 of the 60 stayed 3 years. 3 of those 9 were drafted and Nick Richards will probably make it 4. 5 went undrafted.

12 of the 60 stayed 4+ years. 2 of those guys were drafted. Joshua Langford will probably return for his 4th year to make it 13

The others are coming back to school

So, to assume 2 guys ranked in this range will both be 1-and-done players defies the statistics of what we've seen recently seeing as how these guys were likelier to stay 4 years than leave after 1.

I think it will be hard for both of these guys to show enough to leave. We have a log jam at the 1-3.

Regardless of if they do, is great to get highly rated players to Rocky Top even if for only 1-3 years. Cal reloads every year.

I was curious as to how knowledgeable the Insider guys were, and from the responses on here, not very. The real inside knowledge is here, which I suspected. :cool:

Taking a contrarian view, it would probably be best if at least one is a 1 and done. If those guys arent 1 and done, you might not get a Top 25 player in the future (Other coaches will be saying "Barnes couldnt get JJJ, Springer, and Keon to the league immediately. I can - I did this with _____, _____, and _____")

I can see Jaden being a one and done. Dude is college ready, imo, and should have a good enough fresh season to warrant a late first round pick. He's a competitor. Not exactly the same skillset, but has a lot of C Sexton in his game with how physical/ competitive he plays.

With Keon, i think his ceiling is a bit higher, but he's also more raw. He'll be a 2 year player, will likely be a lottery pick if he stays healthy.

Lastly, i think Corey Walker ends up having the best college career of the 3. Everything about his game is what Barnes loves in a PF.

Reactions: sport3500
I think both Johnson and Springer stay at least two years.

Other than Durant, Coach Barnes's players have tended to stay in school two to three years.

That’s not true, he’s had quite a few one and done’s
5 right? Bradley, Durant, Thompson, Joseph and Turner? I just did a quick look though so I could have missed some. Curious what constitutes a lot by today's standards. (This is not me being snarky and questioning/contesting/disagreeing with your comment, FYI.) Just raising the question about if Barnes is considered one of those coaches that recruits "one and dones" despite in my opinion, not really having that track record.

Also curious how many players Barnes has recruited of Spring/Johnson ranking that didn't go that route. Would probably be a better indicator of what they're probable to do.

Reactions: LaTechVol
5 right? Bradley, Durant, Thompson, Joseph and Turner? I just did a quick look though so I could have missed some. Curious what constitutes a lot by today's standards. (This is not me being snarky and questioning/contesting/disagreeing with your comment, FYI.) Just raising the question about if Barnes is considered one of those coaches that recruits "one and dones" despite in my opinion, not really having that track record.

Also curious how many players Barnes has recruited of Spring/Johnson ranking that didn't go that route. Would probably be a better indicator of what they're probable to do.
Actually just saw this over the weekend. Think this answers your questions (or at least partially).
How 5-Star Players Have Fared Under Rick Barnes | Rocky Top Insider

VN Store

Back