AR-15 Builders

https://www.nosler.com/22-nosler/

After I get this 300 aac under control, my next build will definitely be a 22 Nosler on the ar platform!

I know it's expensive to shoot, but wow the ballistics are incredible, I wanted a .243 or 22-250 something along those lines in an AR and I found this 22 Nosler.

Takes a 6.8 spc mag and a .22 Nosler barrel. So not to much to change.

Radical firearms makes a complete upper480$ and complete rifle 780$

Seems like a lot of fun.

I've always wondered why nobody had ever fashioned an AR-10 platform in .22-250 or .220 Swift for varmint work.

The Swift might be a bit harder being it's a semi-rimmed case, but the .22-250 should be fairly straightforward.

I've always wondered why nobody had ever fashioned an AR-10 platform in .22-250 or .220 Swift for varmint work.

The Swift might be a bit harder being it's a semi-rimmed case, but the .22-250 should be fairly straightforward.

The nosler 22 is attracting me because their ballistics are similar with the 22-250

The nosler 22 is attracting me because their ballistics are similar with the 22-250

Until it starts hitting 4,000 FPS, it's closer to the .223 than the .22-250. It's still got another 500 FPS to go before hitting that mark and it likely never will (case capacity being the obvious hindrance)

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/637503879

Don't hate me if you now have to have one. :)

Just says "slap on an AR-10 lower."

Does it use proprietary mags? Armalite or DPMS pattern mags? Barrel material? It says SS, but is that 410 or 416 or 416R? Makes a huge difference. And who turns those barrels?

I'm talking ground up as a complete system that uses a decent mag like Magpul and I wonder if they can shave off any barrel length to get the unwieldy factor down. How much muzzle velocity is lost by having say a 20 inch barrel compared to that musket 24 inch?

The biggest hindrance to varmint style bolt actions is the weight. An AR-10 pattern rifle should be able to save significant weight over the Fudd bolts.

Just says "slap on an AR-10 lower."

Does it use proprietary mags? Armalite or DPMS pattern mags? Barrel material? It says SS, but is that 410 or 416 or 416R? Makes a huge difference. And who turns those barrels?

I'm talking ground up as a complete system that uses a decent mag like Magpul and I wonder if they can shave off any barrel length to get the unwieldy factor down. How much muzzle velocity is lost by having say a 20 inch barrel compared to that musket 24 inch?

The biggest hindrance to varmint style bolt actions is the weight. An AR-10 pattern rifle should be able to save significant weight over the Fudd bolts.

That was more me citing they are, in fact, chambering the round in that platform. And I know Krieger is turning barrels so there's some interest. If you want one you can have one made up. (or make yourself with a good barrel)

The only OTS AR in this caliber I know of is the http://www.olyarms.com/shop/rifles/umar-rifles/umar-22250.html

I'd be concerned with velocity loss with the 22-250 as that one is a bit on the overbore side of things. At some point (where I'm not sure) you'd just be trading a bunch of noise and fire with little benefit over a 5.56. Might be able to research a bit for an answer on that one.

Last edited:
That was more me citing they are, in fact, chambering the round in that platform. And I know Krieger is turning barrels so there's some interest. If you want one you can have one made up. (or make yourself with a good barrel)

I'm not currently aware of anybody making a full rig though.

I'd be concerned with velocity loss with the 22-250 as that one is a bit on the overbore side of things. At some point (where I'm not sure) you'd just be trading a bunch of noise and fire with little benefit over a 5.56. Might be able to research a bit for an answer on that one.

Krieger is certainly nothing to scoff at.

I know the .220 and .22-250 are very barrel dependent if memory serves. And I'm not sure what a DI system would do to the ballistics of either of them. I know anything over 20 inches in a .223/5.56 package really doesn't do a whole lot, but I'm thinking with a higher capacity case the dwell time is more important.

You would have thought Larue or GA Precision might have fooled around with something along the lines of a varmint rig at some point or another. But then again, Larue has a hard time keeping up with demand of standard caliber rifles, so an additional caliber would probably be out of the question.

Just checking the APF website, they are 416 stainless barrels. Still a lot of unanswered questions about the system of operations.

Krieger is certainly nothing to scoff at.

I know the .220 and .22-250 are very barrel dependent if memory serves. And I'm not sure what a DI system would do to the ballistics of either of them. I know anything over 20 inches in a .223/5.56 package really doesn't do a whole lot, but I'm thinking with a higher capacity case the dwell time is more important.

You would have thought Larue or GA Precision might have fooled around with something along the lines of a varmint rig at some point or another. But then again, Larue has a hard time keeping up with demand of standard caliber rifles, so an additional caliber would probably be out of the question.

Just checking the APF website, they are 416 stainless barrels. Still a lot of unanswered questions about the system of operations.

I just had a thought, have you considered the .204 Ruger? That one is available all up in several makes.

VN Store

Back