AR-15 Builders

Hayezb

Vols to the Wall
Decided I would build my first AR-15 instead of buying one. I want to know everything about my rifle so I can fix any issues that might occur.

So far this is what I've got:

AeroPrecision stripped upper / lower
KNS Lower Parts Kit
Geissele 2 Stage (G2S) Trigger
Magpul Furniture

I'm still trying to decide on a BCG and barrel. If I can find one, I'm wanting a Daniel Defense 16' 1/7 twist barrel and I'm thinking about FailZero EXO BCG.

Anybody have any suggestions or pictures of their own builds?

------ Build Update ------

Alright, I honestly had forgotten I created this thread but wanted to post my updated build and specs list:

IMG_0796_zpsqnblep9n.jpg

- Aero Precision Upper and Lowers
- FailZero BCG
- BCM Chargin Handle
- MagPul MOE K2+ Grip
- MagPul ACS-L Stock
- MagPul Iron Sights
- RET 16" 223 Wylde 1x8 Melonin Barrel
- UTG Pro 15" Free Float Handguard
- Strike Industries KingComp
- Geissele 2 Stage Trigger
- Various small parts

I picked up a Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-12x44 and the light/laser combo actually came with my Sig P250.

Overall I love this build. I've yet to use the optics yet but I'm heading to the range today after work. It was a great time building it and a lot easier than I was expecting. I recommend buying the MagPul wrench and block to help with the torquing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Decided I would build my first AR-15 instead of buying one. I want to know everything about my rifle so I can fix any issues that might occur.

KNS Lower Parts Kit
Magpul Furniture

I'm still trying to decide on a BCG and barrel. If I can find one, I'm wanting a Daniel Defense 16' 1/7 twist barrel and I'm thinking about FailZero EXO BCG.

Nickel boron bolt. When cleaning you'll understand why. Honestly I ordered one off of Amazon for about 115 bucks and it's worked extremely well. It'll chew up and spit out the cheap Russian tula casing easily.

I went 1/8 twist, but to each there own on that. Just make sure the twist ratio lines up with the grain bullets you plan on using.

KNS Lower Parts Kit
Magpul Furniture

I've always liked these guys, especially for the money.

White Oak Armament

I've used one of these

White Oak Armament | AR15 Barrels | 20 inch Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) Barrel | 1 in 7 Twist

and it shot very well. (and they do have a 16" version) Obviously these are stainless barrels which may or may not be what you're looking for.

Note that along the top one of the options is to go to their "precision" site. You're probably not looking for the high end/competition stuff but it's there for the perusing.

Otherwise as a company (and more "standard" AR stuff) Bravo Company are good people.

Last edited:
Depends on what you want out of it in the end. Do you want a precision setup? Or just a general purpose carbine? That will determine your barrel type as well as if you want to go with an A Frame or a gas block.

And gas system length, I prefer the Mid Length myself. It really smooths out the actions.

For the BCG, NiB coatings work, just make sure the bolt itself has been tested (Magnetic Particle Inspection or MPI) and not batch tested. And don't get the "semi" version. Get the full auto setup.

I'd also suggest looking into a Bravo Company Gunfighter charging handle. I've found the Mod 4 works the best.

And make sure your buffer is an "H" type, not a standard carbine. If you want no expense spared, go with a Sprinco "Blue" action spring.

I've built about a dozen or so, so if you have questions, I'll be more than happy to answer.

Forged or milled lower? And does it really matter?

It doesn't, except the money they charge on the price tag. So long as it's not a polymer receiver, forged or milled really doesn't matter much in the long run. Outside of a catastrophic failure, when was the last time you saw a forged lower receiver breaking other than Bubba's Basement Gunsmith and Live Bait Shop breaking the ears off the grip area while trying to install a trigger guard?

I was surprised to hear someone tell me a week or so ago that you could build a 6.8 SPC with a AR-15 lower. I thought you needed an AR-10/.308 lower for that. If true, I might build a 300 blackout with one lower and a 6.8 SPC with the other.

OK guys. I have a base AR 15 I purchased in the late '90s. I shoot it every so often. When I purchased it they were not as easy to acquire given the AWB. It's made by Rock River Arms. I have had no issues with it. The only thing I don't like about it is it has the permanent carry handle on top instead of a flat top. I'm thinking about purchasing a new upper receiver. A few questions:

Are these easy to change out?

Are these parts regulated or can I purchase these online without having to go through someone with a ffl?

What is a decent brand? I've seen some as low as $70 and on up to $150.

Thanks in advance!

OK guys. I have a base AR 15 I purchased in the late '90s. I shoot it every so often. When I purchased it they were not as easy to acquire given the AWB. It's made by Rock River Arms. I have had no issues with it. The only thing I don't like about it is it has the permanent carry handle on top instead of a flat top. I'm thinking about purchasing a new upper receiver. A few questions:

Are these easy to change out?

Not easy without the proper tools and vices. I'm assuming you are discussing just the receiver portion and keeping everything else?

Are these parts regulated or can I purchase these online without having to go through someone with a ffl?

Yes, you can buy the upper parts without going through an FFL.

What is a decent brand? I've seen some as low as $70 and on up to $150.

Thanks in advance!

A receiver is a receiver so to speak. Aero Precision is a good quality brand that won't break the bank.

But in all honesty, it might be cheaper just to buy a new upper assembly. For an "every so often" shooter, I'd suggest the Palmetto State Armory line:

5.56 NATO / .223 - PSA - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

You're going to spend just about as much in getting a new receiver and having it mounted as you would in just buying the whole shebang. Swap your BCG and charging handle and call it a day. Sell the old one (someone will buy, they always do) to help offset the cost and get shooting.

Not easy without the proper tools and vices. I'm assuming you are discussing just the receiver portion and keeping everything else?

Yes, you can buy the upper parts without going through an FFL.

A receiver is a receiver so to speak. Aero Precision is a good quality brand that won't break the bank.

But in all honesty, it might be cheaper just to buy a new upper assembly. For an "every so often" shooter, I'd suggest the Palmetto State Armory line:

5.56 NATO / .223 - PSA - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

You're going to spend just about as much in getting a new receiver and having it mounted as you would in just buying the whole shebang. Swap your BCG and charging handle and call it a day. Sell the old one (someone will buy, they always do) to help offset the cost and get shooting.

Thanks GV. Are these specialty tools? I'm very handy and have about every tool you can imagine. I don't have gunsmithing tools though. Is the challenge removing the barrel?

I found these on line:

Upper Receivers | Primary Arms

Thanks GV. Are these specialty tools? I'm very handy and have about every tool you can imagine. I don't have gunsmithing tools though. Is the challenge removing the barrel?

I found these on line:

Some are, yes. The barrel wrench specifically and the upper receiver vice clamp. Plus a set of standard punches, roll pin punches, torque wrench...

It's pretty straightforward work, but detailed. The hand guard ring is a pain. Timing the barrel nut with the gas tube at the proper torque can be tricky.

I found these on line:

And one more thing. Check your feed ramps before buying. Older AR15s didn't have M-4 feed ramps and the receiver extensions are not compatible with new style receivers:

gallery_18313_138_71257.jpg

So you'll need to check on what you have at the moment. If you have a rifle extension, you cannot get an M-4 style receiver without having the extension milled.

Like I said, it's almost cheaper to buy new at the moment and sell what you have to offset the cost.

And one more thing. Check your feed ramps before buying. Older AR15s didn't have M-4 feed ramps and the receiver extensions are not compatible with new style receivers:

gallery_18313_138_71257.jpg

So you'll need to check on what you have at the moment. If you have a rifle extension, you cannot get an M-4 style receiver without having the extension milled.

Like I said, it's almost cheaper to buy new at the moment and sell what you have to offset the cost.
Dang good info.

I'm interested in your opinion on how all this got started. I like a diverse arsenal. One thing on my list of purchases was an AK-47. I was talking with a friend of mine that is pretty big into guns. He strongly discouraged me from that. He said I was better off spending the money upgrading my AR. I would like to still have an AK. What are your thoughts?

Dang good info.

I'm interested in your opinion on how all this got started. I like a diverse arsenal. One thing on my list of purchases was an AK-47. I was talking with a friend of mine that is pretty big into guns. He strongly discouraged me from that. He said I was better off spending the money upgrading my AR. I would like to still have an AK. What are your thoughts?

Buy what you want my friend. I've owned AKs in my time, but eventually sold them off to concentrate on upgrading my AR stash. The biggest things you have to remember is the fact you're changing calibers and getting different mags for the new toy.

I wouldn't ever dissuade someone from buying what they wanted. But if you are looking at a flat top AR, I'd probably put that at the top of your list before moving into an entirely different platform. The problem is, once you get that new AR upper, you're going to want an optic, then new furniture, maybe a new muzzle brake, new fore end...the list is endless in the Barbie of the man world. And you'll see how the money piles up and that AK gathering dust is pretty dang useful for selling off and buying more stuff for your ARs.

Buy what you want my friend. I've owned AKs in my time, but eventually sold them off to concentrate on upgrading my AR stash. The biggest things you have to remember is the fact you're changing calibers and getting different mags for the new toy.

I wouldn't ever dissuade someone from buying what they wanted. But if you are looking at a flat top AR, I'd probably put that at the top of your list before moving into an entirely different platform. The problem is, once you get that new AR upper, you're going to want an optic, then new furniture, maybe a new muzzle brake, new fore end...the list is endless in the Barbie of the man world. And you'll see how the money piles up and that AK gathering dust is pretty dang useful for selling off and buying more stuff for your ARs.

Thanks Grand for your advice. One of my big attractions to the AK was the cheaper AMMO. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about changing the receiver and I might just do that. I'll have to purchase a couple of fixtures for my bench vice and a couple of other odds and ends but it looks fairly easy. The tools I'd have to acquire aren't all that expensive and I'll have them for future projects.

Given all that, are the quality levels all that different from a $70 receiver vs a $120 receiver all that significant?

Thanks Grand for your advice. One of my big attractions to the AK was the cheaper AMMO. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about changing the receiver and I might just do that. I'll have to purchase a couple of fixtures for my bench vice and a couple of other odds and ends but it looks fairly easy. The tools I'd have to acquire aren't all that expensive and I'll have them for future projects.

Given all that, are the quality levels all that different from a $70 receiver vs a $120 receiver all that significant?

For your first major job, I'd go with Aero Precision (listed on one of the links you tossed out) and be done with it. It's perfectly fine.

As for ammo costs, I'd buy in bulk and buy online. I see you're in Tennessee so sales tax applies regardless, but better deals are often had online at places like SGAmmo. Yeah, .223 is going to be a bit more expensive in the long run, but it is what it is.

I'd post up a picture of your feed ramps so the rest of us can make sure you're getting what you need. Trust me, that rifle extension with a carbine receiver will be more trouble than it's worth. And if I'm not mistaken, Rock River didn't start using carbine extentions until well after the AWB.

For your first major job, I'd go with Aero Precision (listed on one of the links you tossed out) and be done with it. It's perfectly fine.

As for ammo costs, I'd buy in bulk and buy online. I see you're in Tennessee so sales tax applies regardless, but better deals are often had online at places like SGAmmo. Yeah, .223 is going to be a bit more expensive in the long run, but it is what it is.

I'd post up a picture of your feed ramps so the rest of us can make sure you're getting what you need. Trust me, that rifle extension with a carbine receiver will be more trouble than it's worth. And if I'm not mistaken, Rock River didn't start using carbine extentions until well after the AWB.

:hi:

Ok Grand, I decided to get an upper complete with barrel and foregrip and rail. This is what I went with:

https://shop.masdefense.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=|+105GMURBU++

I thought this would be a good starting point and I could put this on my existing lower. Then, in the future I could maybe get another lower and gradually over time build a second AR.

I talked with these guys. They are out of Charlotte and were very helpful over the phone. They put each one together and test fire it. He said they are turning them in about four days. I'll receive it sometime next week. I let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help!

Ok Grand, I decided to get an upper complete with barrel and foregrip and rail. This is what I went with:

I thought this would be a good starting point and I could put this on my existing lower. Then, in the future I could maybe get another lower and gradually over time build a second AR.

I talked with these guys. They are out of Charlotte and were very helpful over the phone. They put each one together and test fire it. He said they are turning them in about four days. I'll receive it sometime next week. I let you all know how it goes.

Don't you have to go through the ATF to get that barrel since it's only 10.5"?

You do realize you need a permit for that? You cannot put anything less than 16 inch barrel length on a standard lower.

No sir. Barrel length has to be 16 inches overall for it to be legal.

Trust me on this.

That's what I thought. The moment you come into possession of that barrel without the proper paperwork you are looking at jail time and huge fines. I wonder if you've been set up by the ATF or a snitch for them.

VN Store

Back