Appropriate punishment or not?

The number in prison isn't what was commented on. It was how in the past minority defendants have received harsher sentences for committing similar crimes. You mostly see it with drug sentences where a white defendant may get a slap on the wrist and a minority defendant gets a harsher sentence. Sentencing guidelines need to be more consistent and eliminate any racial biases, perceived or real.

Given 13% of the population commits the majority of the homicides in this country, I have a feeling those differences are imagined, like the gender pay gap. I will say I've never taken a deep dive into the data but my assumption has always been that they are not looking at the whole picture (prior convictions, plea deals, additional charges, etc).

I directed a comment to him. You decided to jump in where you had zero idea what was going on. AB - C

Seems you're avoiding the question. You proclaimed he was wrong after making a correct statement about crime and then hid behind something he said in another post.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
One thing that gets lost in a lot of these discussions is priors. Most people who get time for nonviolent drug offense have multiple priors where they’ve been given every second chance and diversion opportunity under the sun. We’d probably have better results if everyone got draconian punishment for a first offense, no exceptions.

I have no real opinion one way or another here, except that I think the employee has to accept the consequences because he did kill someone, but I don't particularly feel bad for the old guy due to his behavior. i mostly just wanted to share that I once decked the ever loving hell out of an old guy at a bar (either in his 60s or a booze, drug addled 50s) when I was in my early 20s. He was asking for it and got physical with me first (he claimed I was sleeping with the bartender, his "girlfriend" who was way younger than him but still a decent bit older than me. Either way it was not true lol) He was lost in the sauce and I kept my cool as long as I could even when he started chest bumping me. Then he took a swing at me. Ain't no one too old to catch these hands if they swing first bro.

Thank gawd I ain't Mike Tyson and he didn't get blood in his brain. He later would go to jail for shooting his shotgun outside the same bar years later in another drunked rage. Kids, keep an eye on your grandpappies. I think that was probably the last time in my life I threw a punch in anger.

For all you folks defending the Dunkin who killed a man due to his words how about this scenario. What if that 77 year old man was YOUR father? Of no doubt you would be embarrassed but would you blame his death on himself or the Dunkin guy? How would you feel if your father was killed by a man less than half his age just over a word which blacks use daily with no repercussions and the killer gets no jail time? Myself, I'd be mighty pizzed with that.

For all you folks defending the Dunkin who killed a man due to his words how about this scenario. What if that 77 year old man was YOUR father? Of no doubt you would be embarrassed but would you blame his death on himself or the Dunkin guy? How would you feel if your father was killed by a man less than half his age just over a word which blacks use daily with no repercussions and the killer gets no jail time? Myself, I'd be mighty pizzed with that.
What if it was your son? 10 years sound appropriate?

What if it was your son? 10 years sound appropriate?

I'd think it would be appropriate if my son were to kill a man over being called a name he didn't like but I can also say my son would be taught better from an early age that actions require consequences.

Reactions: Wireless1
I'd think it would be appropriate if my son were to kill a man over being called a name he didn't like but I can also say my son would be taught better from an early age that actions require consequences.
Similarly, I would expect my grandfather to stay in his car and not take his tantrum inside and drop the most offensive word in the English language...and if he did, I would tell him I'm not surprised he got punched. And I would tell him to not be a sexual predator.

Dunkin employee deserves 10 years. Don't feel bad for either belligerent. Stupid games, stupid prizes.

To all comparing the N word to "cracker:" get over yourselves.

When this thread was alive, I made the distinction between a punch and a slap. Still do not fully understand why they are different to me.

Will Smith slapped Chris Rock. It's all the talk but no assault charges from Rock.

VN Store

Back