Apparently this is a big deal?

Spyre Sports Group was created in Knoxville, Tennessee, specifically to provide an NIL platform in support of Tennessee athletics.

So your question kind of hits at a tangent to reality. It's a little like asking whether Cracker Barrel could get into refining oil, or Spectrum/Charter Media could build microwaves for the people of India.* Sure, they could...but that's not why their founders created them, so it's unlikely that's where they would go next.

See what I'm saying? The folks who built Spyre bleed orange. Could they expand to have branches that wear crimson or maize & blue? I guess. Will they? Seems unlikely.

More likely, a group of boosters with entrepreneurial leanings in Tuscaloosa or Athens will copy Spyre's business model for application in support of their own universities. I'd be surprised if that isn't already happening in several college towns across the nation.
Spyre Sports Group was created in Knoxville, Tennessee, specifically to provide an NIL platform in support of Tennessee athletics.

So your question kind of hits at a tangent to reality. It's a little like asking whether Cracker Barrel could get into refining oil, or Spectrum/Charter Media could build microwaves for the people of India.* Sure, they could...but that's not why their founders created them, so it's unlikely that's where they would go next.

See what I'm saying? The folks who built Spyre bleed orange. Could they expand to have branches that wear crimson or maize & blue? I guess. Will they? Seems unlikely.

More likely, a group of boosters with entrepreneurial leanings in Tuscaloosa or Athens will copy Spyre's business model for application in support of their own universities. I'd be surprised if that isn't already happening in several college towns across the nation.
It would be more like Cracker Barrel franchising. They’re running a business, doing it well, and decide to expand. Bleeding orange has nothing to do with it. It’s not like they’d be taking money generated from the Volunteer Club and using it to sign players for Bama. Bama fans can have their own club. To me it makes perfect sense, and I suspect how Spyre has been able to raise so much money… not just boosters, but also some big investors in the business who expect some larger returns than just a good football team.

Reactions: wmcovol
It would be more like Cracker Barrel franchising. They’re running a business, doing it well, and decide to expand. Bleeding orange has nothing to do with it. It’s not like they’d be taking money generated from the Volunteer Club and using it to sign players for Bama. Bama fans can have their own club. To me it makes perfect sense, and I suspect how Spyre has been able to raise so much money… not just boosters, but also some big investors in the business who expect some larger returns than just a good football team.
Sure. Like I said, it's possible. I just don't think it's likely, given the loyalties and allegiances of the folks who started Spyre up.

Because it would be like Cracker Barrel franchising into a communist dictatorship...say, Venezuela. A place with values they don't respect. That's how a Tennessee die-hard might see franchising Spyre's business into Tuscaloosa.

Then again, some people find themselves becoming pretty loyal to $$$, when they start flowing. So who knows?

I am pretty sure it is just an amendment to HB 1351. But I could be wrong.
It’s already been signed into law. To amend it would require another bill. I haven’t found anything on the state assembly website to that effect and I haven’t found any articles reporting on it

It’s already been signed into law. To amend it would require another bill. I haven’t found anything on the state assembly website to that effect and I haven’t found any articles reporting on it

Never mind, wrong link.

Have you tried going to the sources and asking them?

@volscoops definitely tweeted the news, they're the tweet in the OP. You could ask them. If you have an instagram account (I don't), you could read what they say here: Login • Instagram

They give credit to @Volquest_Rivals for breaking the story. Have you tried reaching out to those folks? They can confirm or deny being @volscoops' source, and if so could point you to the new law.

If I were trying to chase this down, those are the two places I'd head first.

A company that selected your bid for the welding job wants you to be the best welder in the country but didn't give you the design plans because it was illegal. Now, legally, they can tell you exactly what they want you to weld. :)

Have you tried going to the sources and asking them?

@volscoops definitely tweeted the news, they're the tweet in the OP. You could ask them. If you have an instagram account (I don't), you could read what they say here: Login • Instagram

They give credit to @Volquest_Rivals for breaking the story. Have you tried reaching out to those folks? They can confirm or deny being @volscoops' source, and if so could point you to the new law.

If I were trying to chase this down, those are the two places I'd head first.
I’m not on twitter

I’m not on twitter
If you're not on twitter, and you're not on instagram...

(1) Congratulations! Me either!
(2) You're not very well suited to chasing down the questions you ask. To investigate social/political issues these days (to 'fact check'), which mostly means investigating on line, one must be plugged in to all the social media, because the tracks will take you through them.

Reactions: HEAD-VOL
If you're not on twitter, and you're not on instagram...

(1) Congratulations! Me either!
(2) You're not very well suited to chasing down the questions you ask. To investigate social/political issues these days (to 'fact check'), which mostly means investigating on line, one must be plugged in to all the social media, because the tracks will take you through them.
1) I get my tweets from VN!
2) In most cases that’s true. In this case something signed by the Governor is a matter of public record.

I'm certainly no expert.

Fast Forward to the end of JP's post...

This is Tennessee becoming one of the more football-friendly states when it comes to NIL and college ball.

That's how I read it, anyway.

Does this mean Vanderbilt will have a legitimate team in a few years?

1) I get my tweets from VN!
2) Something signed by the Governor is a matter of public record. Twitter is not definitive source. The state assembly website is and I can’t find it there

You miss the point. The point is, you're trying to follow the reports of this new law to their source. To get there, you have to go through the people reporting it.

Alternately, you could start at the other end. Simply read every bill and executive order signed into law over the past week or two. Can't just read the ones that have University of Tennessee athletics as their main purpose, because law makers can insert amendments ('riders') into bills that are otherwise cover a completely different topic.

Good luck!

Does this mean Vanderbilt will have a legitimate team in a few years?

They're still Vandy, man. :)

You miss the point. The point is, you're trying to follow the reports of this new law to their source. To get there, you have to go through the people reporting it.

Alternately, you could start at the other end. Simply read every bill and executive order signed into law over the past week or two. Can't just read the ones that have University of Tennessee athletics as their main purpose, because law makers can insert amendments ('riders') into bills that are otherwise cover a completely different topic.

Good luck!

They're still Vandy, man. :)
Shouldnt have to sift through twitter to find legislation on the state assembly website. But I can’t find it, and since I’m not on twitter thats I why I’m posting the question on this board.

Shouldnt have to sift through twitter to find legislation on the state assembly website. But I can’t find it, and since I’m not on twitter thats I why I’m posting the question on this board.
But you're not necessarily looking for legislation. It may not actually be legislation.

Instead, you're chasing down the REPORTS of legislation (or unilateral executive branch directives), and trying to find out whether those reports are true. To do that, you'll need to track your way through the people giving those reports.

Or, like I said, you can read every single thing Governor Lee has signed in the past couple of weeks. If you exhaustively read every single line of every bill, executive order, policy and guide he has put his pen to, you'll know for sure, one way or the other.

Short of that, you'll need to chase down the people saying it is so. Folks here on vn.com, unless they happen to be among those @volscoops and @Volquest_Rivals folks, won't definitively know. Chance you'll find them here is probably pretty low.

But good luck, again.

But you're not necessarily looking for legislation. It may not actually be legislation.

Instead, you're chasing down the REPORTS of legislation (or unilateral executive branch directives), and trying to find out whether those reports are true. To do that, you'll need to track your way through the people giving those reports.

Or, like I said, you can read every single thing Governor Lee has signed in the past couple of weeks. If you exhaustively read every single line of every bill, executive order, policy and guide he has put his pen to, you'll know for sure, one way or the other.

Short of that, you'll need to chase down the people saying it is so. Folks here on vn.com, unless they happen to be among those @volscoops and @Volquest_Rivals folks, won't definitively know. Chance you'll find them here is probably pretty low.

But good luck, again.
I am looking for the legislation. Or the executive order. I’d like to read it.

If it’s signed by the governor it should be here.

Tennessee 2021-2022 112th General Assembly Legislation

Executive Orders Governor Bill Lee | Tennessee Secretary of State

Each one is summarized. It’s pretty clear what each one pertains to and there isn’t one in the last week that has anything to do with NIL/Higher Education.
The summaries aren't enough. Because of riders. One simple line of text could be attached anywhere in any of those laws, and it doesn't have to have anything to do with the law as a whole. Happens all the time at the federal level, and I would guess at the state level, too (my experience is with federal law, rather than state).

You'll have to read it all to know for sure.

That's why I would've taken the approach of tracking down the sources, instead. In the long run, easier than reading all those new laws line by line.

The summaries aren't enough. Because of riders. One simple line of text could be attached anywhere in any of those laws, and it doesn't have to have anything to do with the law as a whole. Happens all the time at the federal level, and I would guess at the state level, too (my experience is with federal law, rather than state).

You'll have to read it all to know for sure.

That's why I would've taken the approach of tracking down the sources, instead. In the long run, easier than reading all those new laws line by line.
I mean it’s fairly obvious it won’t be in a bill about landfills. But anyway thanks for your help.

VN Store

Back