AP Preseason WCBB Poll is out

We are ranked too high!

Probably true for the start of the season, since they are essentially expecting freshmen and/or unproven players to replace a significant amount of points, rebounds, steals and assists lost to the three departing players. However, there is some talent on this team and they can finish the season around the top 10...if they are coached up to their potential.

It's probably a given that Rennia will be the go-to player, and hopefully her scoring efficiency stays at a high rate. I think the biggest unknown is the post play. If C. Green and Kushkitua are not able to be solid contributors on offense, then I agree that #11 is way too high.

Reactions: Hangtyme24
definitely parity of nearly 20 teams has occurred. So the only option left is for teams to play out their schedule and let the scores determine ranking.

Reactions: RollerVol
They are looking at the name on the front of the jerseys instead of the coach that's on the sideline.

Agreed , honestly were probably around the 20th-25th best team . Holly schedules cupcakes the first 15 or 16 games to have a good win/loss ratio then the real team shows up against the top talent and you see what you really are dealing with LV's .

Reactions: feathersax
Agreed , honestly were probably around the 20th-25th best team . Holly schedules cupcakes the first 15 or 16 games to have a good win/loss ratio then the real team shows up against the top talent and you see what you really are dealing with LV's .

We play #11 Texas as our eight game and #7 ranked Stanford ninth game that’s two top 11 teams in the first nine games. Just saying 🤷‍♂️

We play #11 Texas as our eight game and #7 ranked Stanford ninth game that’s two top 11 teams in the first nine games. Just saying 🤷‍♂️

Ok so were counting exactly how many cupcake games precisely ? *Eye roll* you get the point , do you consider Texas and Stanford Championship caliber teams ? Since the talk is FF or bust , i would only include top tier teams .

Ok so were counting exactly how many cupcake games precisely ? *Eye roll* you get the point , do you consider Texas and Stanford Championship caliber teams ? Since the talk is FF or bust , i would only include top tier teams .

I do not understand! Your comment was about cupcake teams..... 15 or more. Now we are talking about top tier teams ! I am sorry I can’t keep up... You mentioned 15 games of cupcakes... if Texas is a cupcake to you ... then ...ok if you say so. If Stanford is a cupcake... ok if you say so.
What ever point you are making. I don’t think I agree. However, most teams play lesser opponents to get all of their players experience and figure strategy for who plays best together and work on different offense/defensive schemes. I can agree with this strategy. JMO

Stanford won national championship in 1990 & 92 and runner up 2008 & 2010.

Last edited:
I do not understand! Your comment was about cupcake teams..... 15 or more. Now we are talking about top tier teams ! I am sorry I can’t keep up... You mentioned 15 games of cupcakes... if Texas is a cupcake to you ... then ...ok if you say so. If Stanford is a cupcake... ok if you say so.
What ever point you are making. I don’t think I agree. However, most teams play lesser opponents to get all of their players experience and figure strategy for who plays best together and work on different offense/defensive schemes. I can agree with this strategy. JMO

Stanford won national championship in 1990 & 92 and runner up 2008 & 2010.

I was obviously referring to last seasons 16-0 start , And yes i say so Texas and Stanford are not real challenges. They are in the same tier as us . You stating the last time's Stanford won a title almost 30 years ago and their 2nd place finishes doesn't make your case any stronger lol . Its 2018 sweetie not 2008 or 92 anymore. Let's be a little more relevant . Holly schedules cupcakes to start thats my point i could care less about what Stanford and Texas do. You brought them into this for some stupid reason as if beating them means something. We beat both schools just about every year and it doesn't seem to change the culture or turn us into a FF team so im not sure what your talking about . Lets try adding Baylor or Oregon State again teams that we will actually have to face in the tourney possibly an elite 8 match up or something. Stanford vs Tennessee or Stanford vs Texas in an elite 8 match up this season seems highly far fetched.

Last edited:
I was obviously referring to last seasons 16-0 start , And yes i say so Texas and Stanford are not real challenges. They are in the same tier as us . You stating the last time's Stanford won a title almost 30 years ago and their 2nd place finishes doesn't make your case any stronger lol . Its 2018 sweetie not 2008 or 92 anymore. Let's be a little more relevant . Holly schedules cupcakes to start thats my point i could care less about what Stanford and Texas do. You brought them into this for some stupid reason as if beating them means something. We beat both schools just about every year and it doesn't seem to change the culture or turn us into a FF team so im not sure what your talking about . Lets try adding Baylor or Oregon State again teams that we will actually have to face in the tourney possibly an elite 8 match up or something. Stanford vs Tennessee or Stanford vs Texas in an elite 8 match up this season seems highly far fetched.

AHAA!!! I KNEW IT! You are my first wife’s lawyer.... You already won? The house, all the money, and even the dog. You cannot fool me again! No more arguing with you... You always win ! I agree ... you win ! It’s always my fault...... 😈

Cupcakes are a great way to start.
Get your feet wet annihilating a team.
Just as long as you make them understand that that is exactly what they are (desert) and ultimately you use your confidence builders to advance your game for when the SEC entree's come to the court.

After decades of pride and joy about the Lady Vols' schedule annually being CRAZY tough and usually THE toughest overall, I may never come to grips with the new "Meh" approach. Sure, there are some big games on there, but I haven't been able to actually brag about our schedule in a while. I miss that.

What I also miss is beating Alabama. lol

Okay... I admit that was a low blow, but darn it, the Lady Vols have GOT to win ALL of those types of games from here on out! We can't be having any of these "slips" against teams that have no business even staying within 20, much less beating Tennessee! I am really, really, really, reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllly tired of looking back every year and wincing at some of the games that have an "L" beside them -- those inexplicable, head-shaking losses that affect tournament seeding later on because the committee doesn't trust the program to always win the games it used to.

This has GOT to be the season Tennessee shows promise. The team doesn't have to win championships this season to make a jump in everyone's respect, but it does have to avoid looking clueless against anyone -- ever.

And if they ever look totally clueless THIS year? Well... you know.

After decades of pride and joy about the Lady Vols' schedule annually being CRAZY tough and usually THE toughest overall, I may never come to grips with the new "Meh" approach. Sure, there are some big games on there, but I haven't been able to actually brag about our schedule in a while. I miss that.

What I also miss is beating Alabama. lol

Okay... I admit that was a low blow, but darn it, the Lady Vols have GOT to win ALL of those types of games from here on out! We can't be having any of these "slips" against teams that have no business even staying within 20, much less beating Tennessee! I am really, really, really, reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllly tired of looking back every year and wincing at some of the games that have an "L" beside them -- those inexplicable, head-shaking losses that affect tournament seeding later on because the committee doesn't trust the program to always win the games it used to.

This has GOT to be the season Tennessee shows promise. The team doesn't have to win championships this season to make a jump in everyone's respect, but it does have to avoid looking clueless against anyone -- ever.

And if they ever look totally clueless THIS year? Well... you know.

Holly finally figured it out.
You'll see.
People who have followed me from the gitgo here know I shoot from the hip. There are weaknesses and aspects to this staff's game that frustrate me as a coach...But by those same tokens I can see when things are lining up right.
And they're right.

These kids are going to demand as much out of their coach as their coach will demand out of them.
In my assessment there are four immediate potential team leaders. (Meme, Cheridene, Rennia and Evina) all of which lead by example.

It is the one who leads by "being consistently visible and says the right things" that will take the ultimate roll.

This season already .. rocks!

AHAA!!! I KNEW IT! You are my first wife’s lawyer.... You already won? The house, all the money, and even the dog. You cannot fool me again! No more arguing with you... You always win ! I agree ... you win ! It’s always my fault...... 😈

Thanks for recognizing me !

You'll see.
People who have followed me from the gitgo here know I shoot from the hip. There are weaknesses and aspects to this staff's game that frustrate me as a coach...But by those same tokens I can see when things are lining up right.
And they're right.

These kids are going to demand as much out of their coach as their coach will demand out of them.
In my assessment there are four immediate potential team leaders. (Meme, Cheridene, Rennia and Evina) all of which lead by example.

It is the one who leads by "being consistently visible and says the right things" that will take the ultimate roll.

When Coach Jumper talks like that, there's hope.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
You'll see.
And they're right.

I certainly hope you are right, Jumper. We'll soon find out, as it'll be easy to tell whether there have been any significant changes (for the better, hopefully) in how the program was handled the months and weeks before the season. I feel like there needed to be a fresh approach to jolt the program out of complacency.

Every year, with only a few exceptions, Tennessee has started pretty well, but the competition gets a little stronger right about the time the slightly better competition on the schedule has now seen everything Tennessee has, and then they can devise a simple plan to easily shut down the "offense" and make our players look like they have no idea how to handle it.

THAT is what I hope never to see again if I am expected to believe that the program has made great strides. I have seen NO other program, not in any division, ever give off quite the same type of "clueless" vibe like Tennessee has too often given off in recent years when an opponent shuts them down.

Now, I will be able to live with -- even accept -- the occasional beat-down by an opponent I feel is simply superior. Losing to a better team is nothing to be ashamed of or angry about. It's the whole looking completely confused and then regressing to the type of junior-high-level individual desperation tactics that make everyone watching cringe with embarrassment for the program that I don't want to see or feel again.

I never again want to cringe and have to look away while watching a Tennessee Lady Vols basketball game.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
I'm not falling for any more fools gold this year. Holly is still the coach. We lost more experience than we are keeping. When you are looking to Freshman to lead the team, you've already lost. I'd be surprised if they stay in the top 25.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I certainly hope you are right, Jumper. We'll soon find out, as it'll be easy to tell whether there have been any significant changes (for the better, hopefully) in how the program was handled the months and weeks before the season. I feel like there needed to be a fresh approach to jolt the program out of complacency.

Every year, with only a few exceptions, Tennessee has started pretty well, but the competition gets a little stronger right about the time the slightly better competition on the schedule has now seen everything Tennessee has, and then they can devise a simple plan to easily shut down the "offense" and make our players look like they have no idea how to handle it.

THAT is what I hope never to see again if I am expected to believe that the program has made great strides. I have seen NO other program, not in any division, ever give off quite the same type of "clueless" vibe like Tennessee has too often given off in recent years when an opponent shuts them down.

Now, I will be able to live with -- even accept -- the occasional beat-down by an opponent I feel is simply superior. Losing to a better team is nothing to be ashamed of or angry about. It's the whole looking completely confused and then regressing to the type of junior-high-level individual desperation tactics that make everyone watching cringe with embarrassment for the program that I don't want to see or feel again.

I never again want to cringe and have to look away while watching a Tennessee Lady Vols basketball game.

I can't say never again, but I think it will be a much less occurrence.

They didn't have to shutdown our offense, because the offense WENT into neutral on its own....That won't happen so often this year. I say that because of the floor leadership of this year. You have two upperclassmen (Meme and Cheridene) who play full out every play and WILL NOT disappear, and both are more intent on being a more vocal (Per their pressers) influence. And you have two potential all-SEC Sophomores (Rennia, Evina), determined on bringing the prestige back to this program. Not to mention a MUCH deeper bench than we have had in a while.

Everything's right for this program. Nothing but good news and feelings coming out of the offseason...No offseason drama...No major injuries...Deep roster...Staff, players, all handpicked...... It's the new millennial way of running a business.

Of course, they will go through a rough time or two, but they will in NO WAY be anything like what we've had for the past few seasons.

Teams reflect the personalities of their leaders. Not only the coaches, but the floor leaders as well.
I respect and appreciate the work Jaime and Mercedes did for UT. They are true LVFL's...But they DID disappear, in games, and sometimes, for games.
That won't happen this year.
That was our weakness and the reason we didn't grow after the mid-season last year.
If leaders take a vacation, players will to.
Not this year.
And more importantly, not on my watch!

Everything's right for this program. Nothing but good news and feelings coming out of the offseason...No offseason drama...No major injuries...Deep roster...Staff, players, all handpicked...... It's the new millennial way of running a business.

I'd say the main thing missing here is a proven go-to player. Coming into last season, we knew that Mercedes and Jaime could carry the team offensively. This allowed Rennia and (to a lesser extent) Evina/Annie to have less pressure to score. They knew that Mercedes and Jaime were option 1a and 1b. Coming into this season, all eyes will be on Rennia and she will be the focus of the opposing defenses. No open looks from double/triple teams on Mercedes, or the best perimeter defender fixated on Jaime. Gameplans will be designed to stop her, and time will tell if she will be able to carry the team. Like I said on a previous post, the emergence of an inside game is key. Cheridene may give it all on every play, but she's not as talented as Mercedes, doesn't have her size and will not command double/triple teams. Mercedes was a "Get Out of Jail Free" card and Tennessee won a lot of games they were in a position to lose because of the mismatch she creates. They will not have that luxury next year, so spacing and offensive movement will be crucial...not just dump the ball inside and let Mercedes go to work.

This team has a lot of question marks. It probably would have been to their benefit to have a lower preseason ranking to reduce pressure on the team to live up to their ranking.

I'm not falling for any more fools gold this year. Holly is still the coach. We lost more experience than we are keeping. When you are looking to Freshman to lead the team, you've already lost. I'd be surprised if they stay in the top 25.

This team is not looking for freshmen to lead the team! Last year we had to have freshmen START from game one. This year I hope we have a freshman work their way into starting. My guess would be Zaay if she can do it ? I don’t know. But we have capable substitutes this year and pretty highly rated. And they don’t have to start ! Not like last year . JMO

Reactions: Hangtyme24

VN Store

Back