AP feels like Steele still in fold for DC

I am very worried for Vol fans that keeping Steele makes too much sense. Usually, we would blow an opportunity that fell in our lap like this. Lets see if CJH is more of the same old same old, or perhaps he has something in that large noggin of his.

I would love to keep Steele, Get Garner, Promote Simon, and Keep Tee. Also look at Eddie Gran for RB coach, dude can coach RBs and is a recruiting machine just like Steele and Garner and Tee
when are people going to realize and understand that nobody from the last coaching staff is being retained? Wake up

Steele:
1) already on staff
2) knows SEC inside out
3) TN roots
4) well respected
5) established relationships with multiple high schools
we could do a lot worse IMO

My two cents is that he is the only one who should be retained. He was not here when all the violations happened, and all the above quoted reasons are valid.

I think Tee could be a liability, because of the NCAA investigation, and also because I think he really got his feelings hurt that he did not get what Fulmer promised him - to be Tennessee's next Head Coach. We need people who are glad to be here, and people who want their boss to succeed. I'm not sure that would be the case with Tee. Nothing personally against Tee. I just don't think it would work out for either party. He needs to go become Head Coach at UCF, or some smaller college, and work his way up from there, just like others, including Lane Kiffin, had to do.

Isn’t Auburn paying for most of his value? Keep him as a lower paid position coach but let him be the de facto DC. Do something fiscally responsible for once. Hire a young guy with potential to be the “official” DC and let Steele mentor him.

Reactions: v0ltan
I would love to keep Steele, Get Garner, Promote Simon, and Keep Tee. Also look at Eddie Gran for RB coach, dude can coach RBs and is a recruiting machine just like Steele and Garner and Tee
Other than recruiting, why do you want to keep Tee? His receiver group hasn't shown anything that would make me want to consider extending him.

I posted this in the RF. Would be stupid to not go in his direction IMO. Especially given the fact that he has called defenses in a tempo driven scheme like Malzahns.
View attachment 347280

Tough to argue against that. I agree and have for years malzahn offenses have been the problem...he cant ever get right qb for his system which is befuddling

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I would feel much better if Steele is kept as DC.

Agreed. It just seems like such a no brainer.

a.) He's a proven commodity. Been a DC for many years and has fielded some very good defenses.
b.) He's a solid recruiter with SEC ties. Something this staff is desperately going to need.
c.) He's a Tennessee guy. Having more Tennessee blood on the staff is never a bad thing IMO.
d.) He's already used to being a DC under a head coach who runs an up tempo offense
e.) Keeping Steele increases the chances of Rodney Garner joining the staff which I like very much!

Last edited:
Reactions: dgrind65 and Ratvol
Due to time this may end up being the best move for CJH. You could do a lot worst. I expect we will see frenzy of hires to occur next week though

Steele’s in your pocket. See who else you could get and if there’s nobody you like better then hire Steele. It’s not some huge mistake if he thinks someone else will do better.

Isn’t Auburn paying for most of his value? Keep him as a lower paid position coach but let him be the de facto DC. Do something fiscally responsible for once. Hire a young guy with potential to be the “official” DC and let Steele mentor him.

If he has a mitigation clause he can't do that. They force you to seek equal employment. Arkansas is suing Bret Beliema over his purposely avoiding pay while coaching the Patriots.

VN Store

Back