Anyone notice how weird our schedule is next year?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Our first four games, 2 scrubs and 2 P5’s, including opening SEC play Florida. None of this is unusual.

Ball State
Pitt
Akron
Florida

Then we get a really early bye week, week 5.

Then we go straight to our 2 west opponents back to back, LSU and Bama, then we randomly get another mid-season scrub (UT Martin).

LSU
Bama
UT Martin

After all that, then we finally start playing the rest of the East.

Kentucky
Georgia
Mizzou
South Carolina
Vandy

So in the first 8 weeks, we play one opponent from our division, then play all the rest of them in our last 5 weeks. Our final scrub game is October 22nd, and we get a really early bye. Probably the weirdest schedule I’ve seen in a long time, but honestly, I don’t love the way it’s laid out. Our easiest SEC games all come at the end of the season when injuries have set in.

The only thing I'm sure of is that LSU will somehow be a Top 10 team next season. Our rotating West opponent always seems to be "at the peak of their cycle" the year they play us.

Though, this is rare season where the closing stretch looks more difficult than the opening one. Pitt won't have Pickett this year and Florida might take awhile to get back to form.

The only thing I'm sure of is that LSU will somehow be a Top 10 team next season. Our rotating West opponent always seems to be "at the peak of their cycle" the year they play us.

Though, this is rare season where the closing stretch looks more difficult than the opening one. Pitt won't have Pickett this year and Florida might take awhile to get back to form.
Texas A&M will be our West team in 2023 so we will get them just as they are ascending to be Alabama’s number 1 contender. We consistently get the West’s 2nd best team in addition to Alabama.

That’s the best schedule we have had in probably 20 years as far as how the games line up. Cupcake before Florida. Many years they were week 3. Now they are week 4.

Bye week before our first big road test. Then Bama which we would probably lose anyway. UT Martin afterwards gives us a de facto bye week to get ready for UK.

Spectacular. Need to take advantage.

I’m just glad that we don’t play Bama at the end of an 8 or 9 game stretch like we have been. Not saying it would make a huge difference, but we always seem to have our bye the week after Bama amd that makes zero sense to me.

Last edited:
Hope springs eternal. Just look at our offense for an example of how radically something can change from one year to the next.
Part of the problem with our defense is our offense though and it's speed which results in the defense being on the field alot. It's sort of baked into the Heupel system that we are going to have to score alot of points so that our defense can be less than perfect as long as they get some takeaways. It gives us the potential for upsets of people but how sustainable it is as a championship formula remains to be seen. Regardless, it is an exciting brand of football, which is what people asked for, and a considerable improvement over Beldar Ball.

Not like it really matters, because I think they Bama beats us easily, but we do have them at home and they will be coming off back to back weeks against Arkansas and Texas AM. May just be a chance for us to maybe catch a tired team off guard.

But probably not.

Part of the problem with our defense is our offense though and it's speed which results in the defense being on the field alot. It's sort of baked into the Heupel system that we are going to have to score alot of points so that our defense can be less than perfect as long as they get some takeaways. It gives us the potential for upsets of people but how sustainable it is as a championship formula remains to be seen. Regardless, it is an exciting brand of football, which is what people asked for, and a considerable improvement over Beldar Ball.
I’d love to see some gradual evolution to the offense. I mean, don’t get away from what’s working or anything, but add some time consuming wrinkles. Like maybe run a play, sprint up and line up to run another like always, but then don’t snap it with the play clock at 20. Still takes away defensive subs but maybe adds just a subtle flavor of ball control? I don’t know, it seems like we were in a rhythm going full speed and we’d bog down sometimes and maybe that’s where we were trying to milk the game a little. It’d be nice to be able to drop into an efficient ball control offense if it’s getting out of hand in our favor and help the defense make sure it stays that way.

VN Store

Back