Anyone here remember Randy Hall from mid 80s

Mose Phillip's Watch

Probably the greatest O Line prospect we ever landed not named Trey Smith. Dude was so strong, tough & mean his HS coach rarely let him go full speed at practice. Opposing players didn't want anything to do with him. Sadly got hurt in practice & never played a down. Someone told me he ate 16 penny nails & $%#@ barbwire

I know Randy and Lisa. Outstanding, wonderful people. They are the nicest folks you will ever meet.

His injury was a travesty. He would have been legendary. As it is, he is mere mortal (and still legendary to me).

East TN had some great players in the mid 80s

Randy Hall, Leroy Thompson, Reggie Cobb, the Collins Brothers, Preston Warren, Jeff McMichael etc

True story. I struck out Preston Warren twice in one game in high school! They said he hadn't struck out all year. I was a freshman and he was a Junior.

Probably the greatest O Line prospect we ever landed not named Trey Smith. Dude was so strong, tough & mean his HS coach rarely let him go full speed at practice. Opposing players didn't want anything to do with him. Sadly got hurt in practice & never played a down. Someone told me he ate 16 penny nails & $%#@ barbwire
Him, tony and chucky are my cousins.. lol small world

Last edited:

I was in school with his wife at UT. She was a Civil Engineering major in the early to mid 90s

Reactions: Smokey19rt
The Collins Brothers...Brent and Todd both went on to play in the NFL and in SBs...great family
Ran against Todd at an all comers meet around 87-88 at Jeff County in the 300 hurdles....remember thinking “dang this guys thighs are twice as big as mine, but he’s so big no way he can outrun me...”....me being a “quick” db and all.....he then proceeded to smoke everyone in the heat and went on to win the event. Never forgot that experience.

Watched that team destroy Dobyns Bennett in the playoffs in the mini dome.. 95% of their offense were running plays in between the tackles.. I think they threw the ball maybe 3 times that game.. haaa

Seems like I remember that he hurt his back and it ended his career.

Ran against Todd at an all comers meet around 87-88 at Jeff County in the 300 hurdles....remember thinking “dang this guys thighs are twice as big as mine, but he’s so big no way he can outrun me...”....me being a “quick” db and all.....he then proceeded to smoke everyone in the heat and went on to win the event. Never forgot that experience.
Both were amazing once in a generation athletes and competed in state in the decathlon...I remember reading a story on FB that a teammate had to get an old metal pole from the 60s for Brent to practice on...his 1st attempt he cleared 9 feet easily

Did he tear a ACL or something?

VN Store

Back