Anyone here meet Pat Summit ?

Yes I believe in 1999. She along with coach Fulmer and some student athletes came to Bristol at Viking Hall for kind of a meet and greet. My daughter had a copy of the Sports Illustrated where Pat was on the cover with the ‘single eye‘ pose, and we asked her if she would sign it. I remember she said, “who’s that ugly old woman,” when my daughter handed her the magazine. She was super nice, and I got to shake hands with her when we were leaving. Very brief meeting, but one I’ll never forget!

Many times, ran a 5K with her once. Her son and a grandson were on same ball teams several years. Never a lot of talk between us. She would have
several people taking up her attention but would give me a smile and say a few words before events.

Sure did. I needed to pick up some hours my senior year at Tennessee. Since I played some tennis, I decided to take a tennis class in the spring. I figured it would be an easy A. I signed up, and lo and behold, who was the coach for the Class? None other than Pat Summitt herself! But you know how this ends up--I had to work my butt off just to get a B from her! But I wouldn't trade that for the world. You know she was tough, but she was also fair. My brush with greatness.
What year did you graduate? I graduated in the Spring of 1975, and I also took tennis from Pat Spring quarter which was the last quarter of my senior year. I was also looking for some easy hours to finish off with. Were you in my class with Pat? I played doubles once with Pat on the other side. I hit a volley at the net for a winning shot - and Pat told me "good shot". My moment of glory. Pat was only about 23 years old then, and only in her second year of coaching.

Also met her again, many years later, at a Lady Vol basketball game at Stanford. She sat at a table meeting with people after the game. I told her I took tennis from her in 1975. She looked at me and said, "My goodness." I told her, "You've been busy since then haven't you?" She laughed and said, "Yes."

Reactions: krichunaka
I met her when she was a new coach at UT. I was playing a pickup game in old Alumni Gym and, as I was getting ready to leave, she walked up and introduced herself (Pat Head at the time). Then she asked if I would be willing to practice with her team for a few minutes. She said they were playing a team (I believe Old Dominion) with a girl about my size (6'2) and the tallest girl on her team was 5'11. She wanted them to see what it was like to face that height. I told her I would be glad to help, and she smiled wirily and said "Thanks - watch your hands". I met her again years later when she was walking through the Galleria in Birmingham with Bridgett Gordon waiting for the SEC meetings to start. She was gracious, and very quick witted.

As a follow-on, I was briefing an industry group of about 200 business leaders in Huntsville the morning she passed away. I told the group about her death, and relayed a couple of Pat Summit stories. I told the group that morning that if you know a young woman who is pursuing a career - athletically, academically or otherwise - you should be thankful that Pat cam along during our generation to lead the growth and rising opportunities, and pave the road to success, for many.

Yes. The Lady Vols practiced in Alumni Gym (1975) and she asked a couple of us Architecture students who used to play basketball to crash the boards so she could show the Ladies how to us Block Out. Pat was a great player too.

Last edited:
I’ve met her once as a guest coach where I was able to meet the players as well! They were manhandled by Duke that night but I enjoyed the experience of it all!

I was in Stokley working out when I first saw Pat Head.She had recently come to UT to be the women's basketball coach.Told her that welcome and I hoped she did well here.(What a "STUP")

I had the privilege of meeting Pat on three different occasions. Once in McGhee Tyson, once at the 1996 Olympics and again at LAX. She actually took the time to not just acknowledge, but have a conversation about the current and upcoming seasons. Complete class act that treated everyone the same, with dignity and respect.

Yes, by chance she was behind me in line years ago boarding a plane from Chicago to Knoxville. I got to speak with her for a few moments. She truly was a larger than life presence. And extremely nice.

Oh, and she flew coach...a woman of the people!

As others have mentioned, I too, had her as a tennis instructor. I also played pick up basketball at Alumni Gym and got pulled into practicing some with the Lady Vols. I spoke with Pat (Head) about walking on, but I partied a little too much and was working at the Aquatic Center.

I have a basketball she signed, but never met her.
Yes, many times. I worked her camps in the late 80's early nineties.
9/1/2008. At Rose Bowl. Fulmer's career ending with opening loss to UCLA. Pat was sitting in stands near my son and I. Isiah Thomas, yes that one, sitting behind me. I was a big Piston fan and he and I were kibitzing, Pat evidently knew him very well and came over to bs with Zeke and I. Very friendly lady and easy to talk to. Zeke clearly had a great deal of respect for her.

VN Store

Back