Anyone here meet Pat Summit ?

I used to go to the 'Salute to Excellence' banquet/fundraisers back in the day..I have a couple of pictures with her...I might have even danced with her once and when the band got going after the auction. šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
Met her several times at UT caravan. My favorite was when Bruce Pearl stood up and said ā€œYou know between Pat and I we have eight national championships.ā€ Pat just laughed.
The last time I saw Pat was in Nashville at a book signing. She had already announced her diagnosis. She was in a separate room with her support person and only one person was allowed in at a time to get a book signed. I told her my favorite national championship was on my birthday and we were at that game. She said something like ā€œ how about thatā€. Honestly she had no idea what I was talking about. I was so sad and to this day am angry that someone thought she should have been out meeting the public to sell a few more books. It was beneath her dignity.

Sure did. I needed to pick up some hours my senior year at Tennessee. Since I played some tennis, I decided to take a tennis class in the spring. I figured it would be an easy A. I signed up, and lo and behold, who was the coach for the Class? None other than Pat Summitt herself! But you know how this ends up--I had to work my butt off just to get a B from her! But I wouldn't trade that for the world. You know she was tough, but she was also fair. My brush with greatness.

I met her at Calhouns on the River in the early 90's. Her son came over to our table to see what we were eating and we were having a big time with him (he was about 7 or 8 yrs old ) She came over to our table and apologized to us and grabbed a seat and entertained us for about 15 minutes. I was impressed how social and gracious she was. A few years later I woke up and was fixing coffee when I saw myself on the news being interviewed on the National Championship they won the night before. I was at Rookies.

Not really but kinda. We were at an AAU summer tournament when Tiffany Woosley was a senior, and Pat and Micki were in the bleachers a few feet away. Everyone pretty much respected her space. We were sitting next to Rick Moody and chatted quite a bit with him. He was an easygoing, amiable type of guy.

In 2014, Candace Parker spoke at a function hosted by the Big Orange Tip-Off Club at The Foundry. Pat Summitt sat right behind me. My wife was totally stunned that I was completely in arms reach of her. After Candace was done and the luncheon was over, my wife and father-in-law walked out to the lobby. I was in a "now or never" thought process and (why I was so nervous, I'll never know other than I was in the presence of greatness) tapped her on the shoulder. Told her how much I admired her and that I had watched her coach for many years and how much of an honor it was to meet her. She actually wanted to know who I was, where I was from and was super nice to me. It is definitely a moment I will never forget.

Way back Pat would often come to the Atlanta Big Orange Club before her season began and give us a long briefing about the upcoming season. She seemed to enjoy talking to our group and always thanks us for inviting her. She always had a couple of good stories and lets us know who they were recruiting etc. We always look forward to her annual visit.

I never did. Sure admired her

I was lucky to have spent a fair amount of time with Coach Fulmer & drank a beer & played Peyton in foosball lol but never meet her

Yes, twice in fact.

First time was in Nashville, and Lady Vols were playing Vanderbilt. The team was staying at the Holiday Inn across from the stadium, and I was in
Nashville on business. The two of us got on the elevator at the same time and it was just the two of us. Of course I recognized her and said "I know you". And she looked at me with those intense eyes of hers and said, "Do I Know You?". I quickly said that I was a Tennessee graduate, and wished
the team well in their game.

The second time was at my former brother-in-laws wedding. The bride was related to Pat, and Pat was in charge of the guest register. Had the
opportunity to talk with Pat one-on-one for a considerable amount of time. She was very personable, and so easy to talk with. I also related the
above meeting with her, and we had a good laugh about the elevator interaction. Pat was gone way, way too soon.

I met Pat at a luncheon. We sat at the same table. I have been seated with several important, popular, powerful people in my time, but was never as impressed with anyone as I was Pat, even as she tried to be inconspicuous as her husband was being installed as the president of a state wide origination. She was the most magnetic person I have ever met.

In 2014, Candace Parker spoke at a function hosted by the Big Orange Tip-Off Club at The Foundry. Pat Summitt sat right behind me. My wife was totally stunned that I was completely in arms reach of her. After Candace was done and the luncheon was over, my wife and father-in-law walked out to the lobby. I was in a "now or never" thought process and (why I was so nervous, I'll never know other than I was in the presence of greatness) tapped her on the shoulder. Told her how much I admired her and that I had watched her coach for many years and how much of an honor it was to meet her. She actually wanted to know who I was, where I was from and was super nice to me. It is definitely a moment I will never forget.

Have you washed the hand that did the tapping?

I never did. Sure admired her

I was lucky to have spent a fair amount of time with Coach Fulmer & drank a beer & played Peyton in foosball lol but never meet her
I did as I was at the Post Game celebration and meal after we beat Rutgers for the NC in Cleveland, Kara Lawson from ESPN was also there along with all the players, and Candace Parker was so very nice

VN Store

Back