Anyone else think that UK welcome for Mark Pope…

brockytop

was about the most manufactured enthusiasm event ever? Either that or UK basketball fans are more cultish than the bunch at A&M.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
Having to hire Pope showed that fan base just how over inflated their perception is of that job. They thought they could offer anyone and get that candidate. Couldn’t even get Scott Drew!

Its a circle jerk with them. They all know it was not the hire they expected but they want to convince each other it it was by busting out for him. It takes them about 15 minutes to get their resolve back and the go home and buy tickets to the 2025 final 4. The guy looks like a good coach to me but the fanbase expects final 4's and national championships every year. They don't realize they can no longer purchase all the best players and dominate any longer. Too many good players, good coaches, good teams and an overall tougher conference.

Having to hire Pope showed that fan base just how over inflated their perception is of that job. They thought they could offer anyone and get that candidate. Couldn’t even get Scott Drew!
You would have thought they would have learned from us. But heck, some of us still haven’t learned from us.

I think it showed the total disdain this fanbase had for Calipari. I live with one of them.
Yeah, he absolutely wore out his welcome there. Refused to change his ways.

A variation of the Saban inability to flex into the NIL world.

Reactions: kyvol98
showing out for the outside world. It was more of a commentary on UK basketball than it was about Pope
Cincy, to me you nailed this one. It was nationally very embarrassing to the UK mob to have to drop down the list so far as to hire M Pope. Now, that said, i do think he is a fine coach, not sure he has the magic that is demanded in Lexington. Time will tell. But this silly "stuff the gym" was a narcissist's self-thrown birthday party. I'm talking about the fanbase and admin.....not about Pope here at all.

Yeah they learned how to hold on to a coach so long he is surpassed by his peers. Seems like some still haven't learned about coach worship.
I think I know what you are saying. Hard to say. I think some of that was contractual. I don’t think it was coach worship. The one thing they were doing right is paying very well. But then, much like Tennessee, I think there was a lot of internal issues and meddling. That could not have helped Calapari’s cause. It never helped Tennessee. I’m just glad we finally got coaches that the AD listens to. Our AD also pays them well. Now the NIL makes sure we can go after the best players and not be screwed by the NCAA. Even though they still tried, they failed. But key to success is first having coaches with a vision, having a selfless AD that shares or supports the vision, a healthy team and administrative culture and lots of money to go around to produce results. None of that alone will yield success.

The same principles apply to business. I have held positions where I had to do way too much for way too little. I was doing the strategy, the design, the video, the copy writing, the PPC, the SEO, the website management, going to conferences, building attribution systems, analytics, presentations, running meetings, supporting multiple companies, the list goes on. The success I achieved was surprising even to me with how thin I was spread. But every time a company abandoned a strategy, moved on or tried to reproduce what I did they failed, produced less growth or even went belly up. Ultimately, wasting hundreds of thousands. To pay me less than I’m worth, fight me, complain, not support me, and then have the audacity to get mad at me for leaving was incredible.

That said, I learned from all that and certainly have made my own changes, but I refuse to produce that way for the same type of business. And frankly some changes didn’t need to be made depending on the nature of the work.

Heck I may start my own thing if I can muster up the motivation again.

Anyways, I now DoorDash for 15/hr plus tips lol. It would take over six figures and a lot else for me to return to that type of work, but that would come with a lot of expectations of those above me and beside me and clear communication from both parties.

Calapari had the money, but not the support. So he took a pay cut and went elsewhere. I still prefer Barnes and thinks he hasn’t gotten near the respect he deserves. It amazes me the amount of fans that think they know better than these guys lol

Otherwise,✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
Cincy, to me you nailed this one. It was nationally very embarrassing to the UK mob to have to drop down the list so far as to hire M Pope. Now, that said, i do think he is a fine coach, not sure he has the magic that is demanded in Lexington. Time will tell. But this silly "stuff the gym" was a narcissist's self-thrown birthday party. I'm talking about the fanbase and admin.....not about Pope here at all.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

No I won’t, because he obviously wasn’t. That still has nothing to do with my point. You don’t fill Rupp Arena, and have thousands of people turned away, if it’s manufactured.

Yes, the whole state of Kentucky has been anxiously awaiting the coaching return of Mark Pope😂 That event was a CY embarrassed A moment that was totally manufactured for a disappointed fanbase to collectively come together and talk themselves into believing he is the Chosen One.

BTW, my comments aren’t against Pope, he seems to be a good coach.

Yes, the whole state of Kentucky has been anxiously awaiting the coaching return of Mark Pope😂 That event was a CY embarrassed A moment that was totally manufactured for a disappointed fanbase to collectively come together and talk themselves into believing he is the Chosen One.

BTW, my comments aren’t against Pope, he seems to be a good coach.
No, it was a cathartic event for a fan base that had grown tired of being spit in the face by the guy who was the coach there for the previous 15 years. Again, 25k people don’t show up to a press conference if it’s “manufactured.” Pope being a former player and captain of the ‘96 title team only added to it.

It was simply a nostalgia moment, a callback to a simpler time when UK was utterly dominating for a 3 year span. Pope symbolized that era since he was the captain of that 96 team we UK fans revere. I do hope that he can win but let's not pretend that it wasn't about nostalgia.

It was simply a nostalgia moment, a callback to a simpler time when UK was utterly dominating for a 3 year span. Pope symbolized that era since he was the captain of that 96 team we UK fans revere. I do hope that he can win but let's not pretend that it wasn't about nostalgia.
Well that and pretending like its a good hire. He may work out. It's a disaster hire.

I think it showed the total disdain this fanbase had for Calipari. I live with one of them.
That's pretty difficult to figure .... for all of the post-season disappointments of late, they did win the 2012 National Championship and they made the Final Four a total of 4 times under Calipari. From 2010-2015, Kentucky was absolutely loaded. Calipari is one of the best recruiters in the history of college basketball, and he was still recruiting well up until the time he left. Kentucky has seen a solid class of 2024 fall apart in his absence. As much as any coach I have ever seen, Mark Pope has been set up to fail.

Reactions: WOKI

VN Store

Back