• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Anyone else catch radio voices of college football

The thing about Ward was he was just as good in Majors early years when we stunk as when we were rocking. I remember several TSIO's when I was out on farm splitting wood and listening to Bama kill us with the wishbone and tear away jerseys in mid 70's...but still painted that picture worth listening.

Reactions: Tnphil
"More than a Voice"
Have not caught the special yet - Chris Lowe has a good article about it today.

The SEC's golden radio generation remembered in 'More than a Voice'

BTW - if ever in the Bloomington, IN area, tune in an IU game. Don Fischer will make you long greatly for Mr. Ward...he's of the same cloth.

I am a born and bred Hoosier. I cherish every time I get to hear Fisch call a game. I can't fathom listening to an IU game (football or basketball) without that iconic voice, and unfortunately I know that time is coming sooner rather than later.

I am a born and bred Hoosier. I cherish every time I get to hear Fisch call a game. I can't fathom listening to an IU game (football or basketball) without that iconic voice, and unfortunately I know that time is coming sooner rather than later.
Transplant here since '95. Listened to my first IU game by Fisch around '96 or '97 and there's many a time I'll tune in just to hear Fisch and Buck call the game.

Unfortunately, you are right. I caught him a few months ago on the afternoon sports show out of Indy and he said he actually weighed retirement really heavily during the basketball season this past year. Said he decided against it because he wants to see how much of those feelings were just not being able to be at the games and having to call them from watching a monitor...fingers crossed he continues to call them for a long, long time.

John Ward was Tennessee football for those of us across the state who were unable to attend. He painted a picture we all could see and made the games bigger than they really were. As good as he was calling football games, he was better calling basketball games. His love for UT was apparent without being a shameless homer. Bill Anderson was the perfect partner, they made a great team.

For those of us who grew up in Nashville,Larry Munson was the play by play announcer for Vandy in football and basketball in the early to late 60's.Don't know he went to the dawgs.

When I lived in Nashville, I always heard that Vandy fired Munson for his unprofessionalism. Apparently, part of his problem was cussing on the air too often. if he had been the play by play guy for my team, probably would have liked him a little more but as it is, I thought he was unprofessional

Chesney was either a producer or a director of the show tho. It was very well done.

I agree, it was very well done and Chesney was one of the Executive Producers, generally that title goes to the people that finance the project.

He is NOT the host. He’s interviewed a couple of times. But no more than Bob Kessling. Do not let anything dissuade you from watching it.
He was the person who developed the show and has done a similar show a year or two ago. He got his credits in the beginning and in the ending of the show.

Whenever the IU announcer decides to retire, he could do worse than to follow John Ward's lead.

Ward called a press conference, walked to the podium, and said simply "It's time." And then left the podium.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Whenever the IU announcer decides to retire, he could do worse than to follow John Ward's lead.

Ward called a press conference, walked to the podium, and said simply "It's time." And then left the podium.
Knowing, and having known, people that are close to Don Fischer, that sounds like exactly what he intends to do...no ' hey, game x is my last game' or this season is it stuff.

It will just be stand up, say thank you, and walk away...class all the way.

More Than A Voice. I go back even further than the show memorializes. I remember George Mooney calling Football on The Hill. Mooney was a more business like voice. He called the game accurately but when John took over Football in 1968, The Vol Network changed forever. John was a magician when it came to making ordinary seem extraordinary. I'll never forget his comments when we were trailing UCLA in 1974 at the half. Holloway was injured in the first half. He didn't come out for the start of the second half. A few minutes after the half had started, Holloway came running out of the tunnel. Instead of turning left to take the shortest route to the Tennessee bench, he trotted around the back of the UCLA bench and around the North endzone. I was there, listening to John on the radio. "Ladies and gentlemen, the artful dodger has made his way back onto the field. As the fans witness his return, the roar is building into a crescendo." It was like a vocal wave that began at the tunnel and spread thoughout the stadium as each section could see his triumphant return.

That single moment in time is forever cemented in my mind. I have to say the feeling of relief and jubilation built and built with every step Condredge took as he made his 'long way' around the field. By the time he reached the team the entire stadium was on its feet and screaming like banshees. I have to say, that one moment was the most exhilirating experience that I have ever known in Neyland. You would have had to have been there to appreciate the magnitude. The faithful were given hope. The crowd felt the gravity of what it meant and the team rallied to tie UCLA but it felt much more like a win. I have had a lot of great moments in Neyland but that moment, that fleeting moment of feeling the thrill that we were still in the fight, that we were going to get the job done, was something I have never experienced before or after. Sorry to have gotten so wordy.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
I finally got to watch it tonight and enjoyed it very. I'm thankful I got to grow up listening to John and Bill.

*After all these years, I'm still disappointed we didn't get Mike Keith after Ward retired.

when John passed away and met Saint Peter at the Golden Gate, Peter stopped and said to the Lord, John Ward is here and based on his life on Earth, how many mansions does he get?

God replied, GIVE HIM SIX!

VN Store

Back