Anyone concerned about this team(Tennessee) peaking too soon?

rockydoc

Just remember one of Jerry Green's team getting off to a blazing start only too fizzle late in season and tourney. Obviously comparing apples to oranges with each team's coaching and chemistry.

Reactions: volinvegas
Just remember one of Jerry Green's team getting off to a blazing start only too fizzle late in season and tourney. Obviously comparing apples to oranges with each team's coaching and chemistry.
Then has nothing to do with now. You could pull up any school,any sport and say this.

Reactions: feathersax
The loss of focus in the Arkansas game is a good sign they haven't peaked. You don't really want a consistent 40 minutes of focus until the last 6 games in March.JMO There are still things to improve on (rebounding, perimeter defense, ball security) and I think Barnes will get that point across.

Good observation. That team had so many factors that attributed to a very rocky environment. Everyone was pulling in different directions, and I was not surprised to see them fall apart at the seams. It is obviously unrealistic to think that this year's team will go through the rest of this season unbruised. There are always rough periods, but Barnes sees the whole picture, and they will work to get better. Enjoy the journey.

I don’t think the team is close to peaking. There are a lot of things this team can improve on as a whole and each player has something they can improve on individually. This is why Barnes made a point to let them know that he was unimpressed by their performance. While the team was playing Arkansas they were also competing with every other team that is going to be in the tournament. While our guys were uninterested and building bad habits, there were other teams going all out at practice or in a game giving it there all for 40 minutes. It’s important that our guys understand the importance of giving it there all for every minute they got.

Last edited:
No, they need to win the conference and get a 1 seed whatever it takes. That almost catapults you into the elite 8. As the season winds down you turn up the defensive energy, which automatically turns down the offensive energy, and start grinding it out in the paint as the 3 point shooting teams flame-out, crash and burn.

I think peaking is a loss of focus and usually teams figuring you out your weaknesses. We will have to fight the focus no matter what but this team does seem pretty dialed in. They know their goal and that is to cut down the nets 3 different times. Now teams are throwing different defensive looks at them. I expect to see more of that high 1-3-1 press because it does slownus down a bit. I think if a team can switch their defensive plans quickly and do them well that could make a bad game for us.

Now perception could be another thing. Our SEC schedule is heavy the last 7 games. Should we lose some games there, the narrative could become we are fading. Whether true or false....

I was comparing this team's season so far to the 2007-2008 team.

After regular season we were #4 and 28-3 in regular season, including a loss to Rick Barnes.

1-1 in the SEC Tourney....

2-1 in NCAA's with a blowout by Louisville.

The big difference about this year's team is basically everyone on the team can take it to the basket when shooting goes cold and vice versa. 2007-2008 team had tons of shooters and then Tyler Smith and Chism who were versatile enough to step out and shoot or back it down to the basket.

I wouldn't say they are peaking too soon because they have played this way for the most part the entire season. Let's face it- we passed a big test/hurdle with the trip down to Florida. I think after the regular season if we finish with 3 or less losses, we will look back on that game with more importance than any other win.

This year's team is just out there murdering people. It is literally a program wide chip on the shoulder because there were tons of naysayers around the League and Country saying this was Barnes early retirement gig. Add in the players led by Admiral and they are just taking no mercy.

It really is fun to watch.

We will reach the summit of peak Vol in early April. Everything in between is just another hill. GBO!!!

Why are some people so afraid of being great?

If this is the peak this team has, they're not as good as we think they are. The first 4 SEC games (maybe other than @Fla) were not that tough. The schedule will get tougher as the season goes.

Reactions: golfballs

Jerry Green rolled the ball out on the court and said go get em boys. Then he sat back and watched the game with everyone else. So no, that is not a good example. Every team is subject to a bad night or a lack of good fortune, a series of bad calls by the officials, a lack of focus etc. and there are several really good basketball teams around the country. Let's Just enjoy the hustle, artistry, fight, and teamwork that this team plays with and whatever happens happens.

Anybody concerned about a meteor strike on Saturday ?

I'm not worried, I never "Peak" too soon.

This Vols team? no I am not worried about them either. As other have posted this is a veteran coach who has had good teams in the past. They play even "keeled" all the time and every member of this team is contributing. We have not 1 but 2 players up for 6th man of the year. Think about that for a minute..........

i'll worry when the tournaments start. that's when we historically suck and those are the games that matter.

VN Store

Back