Anybody worried about recruiting ranking?

JRtheYoung

michaeljr3
We are ranked 31st based on 247sports, is anybody worried it’s lower than normal or are we thinking it’s still super early?

Ya wanna get it around 20 at least for quality, plus some good transfers to fill the roster out.

Right now our roster is ranked 19th in the 247 sports composite ranking. We have enough talent to hang currently, just at least need more bodies.

Everybody knows 22 ain't gonna be the quality of class we need, but CJH can mask that with the portal hopefully. Think relationships will be much further along in 23 and 24 on obviously

Reactions: Vols All Day
We are ranked 31st based on 247sports, is anybody worried it’s lower than normal or are we thinking it’s still super early?
Honestly, no. These services are suspect in my mind. They seem to rank based on offers instead of their own evaluation. In addition, we've seen some of our 5 star guys struggle to come anywhere close to their ranking. At the end of the day, you just have to trust the coaching staffs evaluation. I'd have to think the hardest part of the recruiting process is getting a solid read on how a kids mind works and what kind of competitive fire a kid has.

Reactions: LittleVol
it's a bummer that the 2022 instate kids appear to be the best batch we're gonna see for the next few years. I'm surprised some of them are not serious candidates for flipping. if they can somehow beat KY to finish 7-5, I think it could be enough to turn some heads.

Why does everyone think JH is gonna kill it in the portal?

Honest question ; What transfer did we get that have turned out to be above average - maybe Turnage, but he isn't a starter. Not Milton, Hooker wasn't a JH pickup.

Mitchell has been okay.

Honest question ; What transfer did we get that have turned out to be above average - maybe Turnage, but he isn't a starter. Not Milton, Hooker wasn't a JH pickup.

Mitchell has been okay.
Mitchell hasn't even played really so what are you even talking about? You forget Payton that we picked up or Terry or Trembly?

Mitchell has been okay.
It’s not “kill it in the portal” we have serious depth issues... it’s the best way to bring in talent that has experience.. they are called transfers because they have played already or been in a college program at least.. nobody wants to start freshman in the sec.. that is the difference.. there is your answer
easier to bring in transfers when there are 1500 kids looking for a job

Mitchell has been okay.

Who said Heupel will kill it in the portal?

Reactions: Enki_Amenra

The whole dynamics of talent acquisition have been radically changed by the portal. Places like Bama and GA etc. will probably use the HS route more to simply backfill the pipeline they have in place filling emergency needs and opportunity shots with the portal. Some places with full and stable but less talented rosters will use the portal a bit more, but schools with more dynamic needs across position groups like us will have to attempt to fill the two deep with more experienced and talented players who are buried on depth charts or simply not good fits for the systems where they are. These rankings are still pretty good reflections of HS and Juco success but are not as good measuring total success with the portal wildcard skewing results. I am guessing the services will have to add something like top 100 to 150 portal tracking to their services and delay final rankings till pre-season after all the newbies get on campus. Value will be harder to establish with the varied number of years of eligibility similar to juco.

I am anxious to see how jucos and smaller schools are impacted for sure. With the portal i am WONDERING if more kids will go the walkon route at 4 year schools since they are free to move now with 4 years if they limit their games to 4 and HOPE type money is available to them. Some will be able to establish value if they crack the depth chart at the richer schools. Word gets out. Will be some interesting evaluations at the kitchen table for a lot of young men and their mentors. Not to mention the impact of NIL.... will local businesses be able to hire HS favorites for cookie deals and car lot ads to bundle with Hope type money? Recruiting evaluation as we have known it is not what it used to be, for both the early and late signing periods.

I don't worry too much about rankings because I know in football, player rankings are pretty subjective and just adding the together compounds that error. It's all an exercise in prediction and by rhe time a player is a sophomore, there are far bigger factors in his effectiveness than when he was 17 years old.

I feel like there will be some more coaching shake-ups at the end of the year that will free up some transfers. Hopefully we have good ties to those schools. I’m not as worried about this recruiting class as I am keeping our own players out of the portal this year and especially our coaching staff intact. 2023 will be more important in just pure HS recruiting. We will have some nice shiny stat records to show off and some great film by then too. Hopefully, two winning seasons and some good bowl wins too.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib

VN Store

Back